IGNORED

Ideas For Rest Of Season

handsofclay

If we get promoted and are assured of the champion spot with say a couple of games to go have you ideas so we can make those remaining games interesting?

My idea, and I have to say I fancy it is a very good one, is to totally replicate, with the collaboration of our opponents and only if nothing is riding on the outcome, a match from the past. You see it hit me the other day that I watch football including Serie A etc because no two matches are ever the same. Out of all the millions of matches played never has a game been exactly the same as another in terms of the passage of play. Therefore, it would make history if we did, with the cooperation of our opponents, achieve this feat.

Obviously, the match we copied would have to be one that exists in full 90 minute archive form preferably visual archive form such as DVD so that the players can watch and learn what their exact roles will be and a script prepared for the whole 90 mins. It could be kept a secret what match City and their opponents are copying verbatim so just imagine how exciting a prospect it will be not knowing whether you are going to watch an exact recreation of Real Madrid 7 Eintracht Frankfurt 3 in the 1960 European Cup Final or England 1 Argentina 0 in the 1966 WC QF. Indeed, it would be exciting trying to guess from the opening passages of play what historic match we are watching a recreation of and maybe a prize can be awarded for the first person to text in with the correct answer.

We would not be able to recreate the 1966 WC Final because that went to extra time and it would take one helluva talented player to recreate the Hurst second goal was it over the line biz and squeezing 120 mins into 90 mins would be silly.

So what ideas have you for any meaningless end of season games or what game would you like City to recreate from the past?

If I entertained your crazy thought it would be an impossible feat.

It is incredible hard to hit the same pass/shot, otherwise we'd be scoring screamers every week.

BUT if we were to sensibly think about this I'd like to see one or two kids getting a game, like Joe Morrell.

If we get promoted and are assured of the champion spot with say a couple of games to go have you ideas so we can make those remaining games interesting?

A red and white [?] night was proposed to Bristol Sport by fans several weeks ago.

My idea, and I have to say I fancy it is a very good one, is to totally replicate, with the collaboration of our opponents and only if nothing is riding on the outcome, a match from the past. You see it hit me the other day that I watch football including Serie A etc because no two matches are ever the same. Out of all the millions of matches played never has a game been exactly the same as another in terms of the passage of play. Therefore, it would make history if we did, with the cooperation of our opponents, achieve this feat.

Obviously, the match we copied would have to be one that exists in full 90 minute archive form preferably visual archive form such as DVD so that the players can watch and learn what their exact roles will be and a script prepared for the whole 90 mins. It could be kept a secret what match City and their opponents are copying verbatim so just imagine how exciting a prospect it will be not knowing whether you are going to watch an exact recreation of Real Madrid 7 Eintracht Frankfurt 3 in the 1960 European Cup Final or England 1 Argentina 0 in the 1966 WC QF. Indeed, it would be exciting trying to guess from the opening passages of play what historic match we are watching a recreation of and maybe a prize can be awarded for the first person to text in with the correct answer.

We would not be able to recreate the 1966 WC Final because that went to extra time and it would take one helluva talented player to recreate the Hurst second goal was it over the line biz and squeezing 120 mins into 90 mins would be silly.

So what ideas have you for any meaningless end of season games or what game would you like City to recreate from the past?

A very good idea indeed.

My vote would be the Christmas Truce game. This would require some logistical changes though, as the first few rows of the Dolman and the Williams would have to be kept clear of fans, so that the teams can take pot shots at each other with their Lee-Enfields prior to kick off. The benefit of this is that we will all be provided with pre-match entertainment. The FA would maybe have to allow a larger amount of subs than normal though.

At 3pm an experienced white flag waver would signal kick off (I nominate Robbored as Gasheads are good at this sort of thing).

At full time the players can swap buttons, food and handshakes as well as giving each other haircuts (yes Luke & Luke - I'm thinking of you here), before ducking back behind their respective hoardings and commencing their pot shots.

Last team standing wins.

How about we recreate the 5-4 win at Mansfield against Swindon? Tell them to go 4-2 up then we cam storm back to clinch promotion and the title in three breathtaking minutes.

I like this one. I'd like them to make a substitution with 5 mins to go, and for the player to come off applauding the away fans and celebrating like it's in the bag. A bit like that Bayern player did (can't remember who it was now) against United in the European Cup final in 99. What a tosser he looked a couple of minutes later

My plan involves winning every single game, and winning the league. Anyone else want to play my game?

A very good idea indeed.

My vote would be the Christmas Truce game. This would require some logistical changes though, as the first few rows of the Dolman and the Williams would have to be kept clear of fans, so that the teams can take pot shots at each other with their Lee-Enfields prior to kick off. The benefit of this is that we will all be provided with pre-match entertainment. The FA would maybe have to allow a larger amount of subs than normal though.

At 3pm an experienced white flag waver would signal kick off (I nominate Robbored as Gasheads are good at this sort of thing).

At full time the players can swap buttons, food and handshakes as well as giving each other haircuts (yes Luke & Luke - I'm thinking of you here), before ducking back behind their respective hoardings and commencing their pot shots.

Last team standing wins.

Is this a dig at the "early leavers" again . . . 

We used to use Lee Enfields at school. They were still pretty useful even in the mid-80s.  

How about we recreate the 5-4 win at Mansfield against Swindon? Tell them to go 4-2 up then we cam storm back to clinch promotion and the title in three breathtaking minutes.

They'd agree to that.

Well. they'd agree to the going 4-2 up part , but would then conveniently forget the rest of the arrangement!

P.S. I can't remember us having anyone sent off against Mansfield :whistle:

Some great ideas here and better than mine as I've realized we can't recreate Real Madrid in the 1960 European Cup Final or anything from 1966 because back then when the ball was passed back the keeper would pick it up. So to exactly recreate that would mean Frankie Fielding picking the ball up and straight away the ref would give a dangerous free kick against us in the pen area. This wouldn't be in the script but the ref would have his hands tied through following FIFA rules. Plus Fielding would do this several times during the match and eventually get two yellows for consistent abuse of the laws. 

It has to be a match, therefore, that was played since the back pass rule came in, so the likes of Mansfield v City or City v St Albans or C Palace v Man Utd qualify while my suggestions don't.

Some great ideas here and better than mine as I've realized we can't recreate Real Madrid in the 1960 European Cup Final or anything from 1966 because back then when the ball was passed back the keeper would pick it up. So to exactly recreate that would mean Frankie Fielding picking the ball up and straight away the ref would give a dangerous free kick against us in the pen area. This wouldn't be in the script but the ref would have his hands tied through following FIFA rules. Plus Fielding would do this several times during the match and eventually get two yellows for consistent abuse of the laws. 

It has to be a match, therefore, that was played since the back pass rule came in, so the likes of Mansfield v City or City v St Albans or C Palace v Man Utd qualify while my suggestions don't.

Now you tell me!

Your idea still stands and gave me a massive laugh as back in the 1914 Christmas Day Truce Match neither keeper picked up the ball because they'd both lost all their fingers due to trench rot.

Sadly both keepers died shortly after that famous game. Standing on look out they were unable to fire their rifles at attacking troops despite valiant attempts to discharge their weapons using the ends of their nose. They were over run and bayonetted through the shin pads.

A very sorry story and such a shame if this game isn't one chosen.

That said, if we could see Germany France in the 82 world cup semi final I would be made up. Frankie doing the Schumacher on some sprightly French winger would be a right treat.

Is this a dig at the "early leavers" again . . . 

We used to use Lee Enfields at school. They were still pretty useful even in the mid-80s.  

I used them in the Air Training Corps in the 60's,  If I remember they were a hefty piece of equipment, or perhaps it  was just because I was small. 

Archived