IGNORED

Bobby Gould: Cotterill A Manager? Never, Ever, Ever!

The Exiled Robin

I got the chance to interview Bobby Gould today, ex-City, Rovers, Arsenal player amongst others, and also the manager of Wales after leading Wimbledon to their most famous moment.  It was at the Dons that he discovered a certain 'Stevie' Cotterill playing for Burton Albion and gave him his chance in the professional game. He obviously wasn't struck by his managerial potential...

He was a great guy, really friendly and open, and here's the full result:

Hope you enjoy?!

Another interesting piece Exiled :)

Remember when we signed Bobby Gould ,first time I remember being excited by City signing a player and at the time for a young City fan, a bit of 'a name'.

Did alright for us if my memory serves us right and got us a few goals in a relatively short (one season ?) stay, couldn't understand when we let him go to West Ham

The interview explains why......big personality is / was Bobby !

Come across him a few times in and around local football and his passion remains incredible and was still helping out at Portishead last I knew.

Another interesting piece Exiled :)

Remember when we signed Bobby Gould ,first time I remember being excited by City signing a player and at the time for a young City fan, a bit of 'a name'.

Did alright for us if my memory serves us right and got us a few goals in a relatively short (one season ?) stay, couldn't understand when we let him go to West Ham

The interview explains why......big personality is / was Bobby !

Come across him a few times in and around local football and his passion remains incredible and was still helping out at Portishead last I knew.

Not sure the article explains why, there is no mention of the right hook that "comedian" Gerry Gow gave him in the middle of a match a couple of games before he left.

I was there that match when Gerry Gow let Gould have one in the centre circle just before half time . We were getting the run around at home to Oxford and Gould didnt think he had to help out with defensive duties,he had a habit of goal hanging. Gerry got his point across. Gould did not come out for the second half and I think we lost 1-5 or 1-4. I liked the idea of Bobby Gould arriving

at City and he was a good player but some thought that he was a lazy player.

Thanks very much all, only clocked these comments today. Was a great interview, he was a good character, really open and honest and seemed to enjoy doing it.  Would have loved to post the whole recording so you could have heard it but not allowed.

Yep, been a busy week with this, my Aden Flint piece (http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/captain-leader-legend-can-aden-flint.html) and the podcast (http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/bristol-city-win-at-wembley-we-are.html). #

Getting back into the flow :-)

He must've been fun to interview. He's famous in sports journalism circles for saying insane things, getting overemotional and crying!

A long time ago I worked for Ceefax and the sports editor had a story about being phoned once at 1am by an overwrought BG who was upset about a match report.

He began the call with the strange claim, "Your report is completely inflammatory!" (  :huh:) before calming down and eventually talking very softly. "I'm not talking through my mouth John" he told the ed, "I'm talking with my football heart and you've stabbed the fleshy part of it." ( :noexp: ) He then had a little weep and apologised for waking up the ed's wife. On being told that no wife was there because he had got divorced, Gould continued, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that John. Still, give her my love and I apologise again for waking her up."  :dunno:

He must've been fun to interview. He's famous in sports journalism circles for saying insane things, getting overemotional and crying!

A long time ago I worked for Ceefax and the sports editor had a story about being phoned once at 1am by an overwrought BG who was upset about a match report.

He began the call with the strange claim, "Your report is completely inflammatory!" (  :huh:) before calming down and eventually talking very softly. "I'm not talking through my mouth John" he told the ed, "I'm talking with my football heart and you've stabbed the fleshy part of it." ( :noexp: ) He then had a little weep and apologised for waking up the ed's wife. On being told that no wife was there because he had got divorced, Gould continued, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that John. Still, give her my love and I apologise again for waking her up."  :dunno:

I have, very occasionally, heard him on TalkSPORT on a Friday night and he comes across how you describe! It's as though the co-presenter has brought along his geriatric old grandad, for a laugh. He is referred to as the Gouldfather, actually.

I always thought he was a little eccentric to say the least, I was not at all surprised that his best period of Managerial success came with the "crazy gang" at Wimbledon.

I always thought he was a little eccentric to say the least, I was not at all surprised that his best period of Managerial success came with the "crazy gang" at Wimbledon.

If you you tube Wimbledon posing on the side of the pitch with the FA Cup, there is a great moment where BG is kneeling for the photos and Vinny Jones jogs over and shoves his groin in his manager's face.

Gould went off on one big time.

Thanks very much all, only clocked these comments today. Was a great interview, he was a good character, really open and honest and seemed to enjoy doing it.  Would have loved to post the whole recording so you could have heard it but not allowed.

Yep, been a busy week with this, my Aden Flint piece (http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/captain-leader-legend-can-aden-flint.html) and the podcast (http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/bristol-city-win-at-wembley-we-are.html). #

Getting back into the flow :-)

I use pocketcast for podcasts, Exiled....can I subscribe on there so I don't miss one? Nice you're 'getting back into the flow', would be great to see a regular City podcast out there

Archived