IGNORED

Dslr To Mirrorless Camera

screech

Anybody thinking about dumping their kit and moving over to mirrorless. The Fuji XT1 has had some fantastic reviews for the quality of pictures it produces even from kit lenses, the Panasonic GH4 video is amazing considering it's small sensor size, samsung NX1 seems to be great for video and stills and Sony if they can bring out a few more lenses have a full frame camera that is as good as any Nikon or Canon. The technology has moved on so fast in the last 2 years that it got me thinking about swapping out my kit and moving over.

Mirrorless cameras are obviously where we'll all be eventually anyway, the only downside I can think of at this moment in time is the battery life not be the best. Anyone made the move or thinking of doing it?

Not answering your question here (sorry) but what is the industry standard for megapixels at the moment? Mobile phone cameras are just awesome but obviously the technology in the camera market would have pushed on and your post confirms that... Is it really worth investing in the camera for extra megapixels or is it the distance that you can get high quality photos that really justify buying the equipment? I ask becuAse most photos are great from my iPhone and are better than my old digital cameras, but sometimes taking random photos on a walk arent good enough

I think people get a little bit hung up on megapixels for photos, it really doesn't come into play so much unless you intend on blowing up your pictures to poster size prints.

I take it you will be like most people just using a camera for a hobby, if so any entry level DSLR from Nikon or Canon would be an upgrade from where you are. Older DSLR's in the entry price range aren't even that old, and will be great for learning on.

Unfortunately in the photography world good advice is hard to find without some photography snob telling you that you must have this that and the other if you want to make great photographs, before you know it they'll be making you think you need to part with thousands just to get a decent picture, the reality is most great pictures start off as ok and the rest is done in Adobe Lightroom or photoshop to boost the look.

There are lots of choices and if I were you, I would pop into somewhere like London Camera exchange and try a few out, they'll have plenty of used in there and are usually very good with customer service.

For me I use a Nikon D7100, the reason is at the time of it's release it was regarded as the best of the Nikon beginner/hobbyist range, I bought a Nikon D5100 for my first camera and kept a few of the lenses back, so when I upgraded I could still use these keeping my cost down, but now, I am starting to look seriously at the technology that is around and trying to hedge my bets on which system is likely to fly. The Fuji XT1 has got great reviews and a very good selection of lenses, it's small and lightweight and is decent for videos, but it comes at a price. For me I enjoy it as a hobby and it's worth spending out but for you, you may decide a smaller point and shoot, a bridge camera or an entry level DSLR or mirrorless is better, it really depends on how you want to use it and your budget.

Been thinking about DLSR for a while but could never see me using it cuz every thing is done spontaneously by iPhone nowadays. It wasn't until recently that I have become frustrated with the limitations of mobile cameras that I realised I need something better, especially when a buzzard was sat literally 10 metres away from me and my camera couldn't pick the bugger up clearly!! Would never spend more than 200 on a camera, what would you recommend?

Been thinking about DLSR for a while but could never see me using it cuz every thing is done spontaneously by iPhone nowadays. It wasn't until recently that I have become frustrated with the limitations of mobile cameras that I realised I need something better, especially when a buzzard was sat literally 10 metres away from me and my camera couldn't pick the bugger up clearly!! Would never spend more than 200 on a camera, what would you recommend?

For a few hundred your choices are going to be very small in DSLR, you could probably grab a used Nikon D3200 off ebay with a small lens to get you started. Never used one myself and this is pretty much a beginner level camera. If you had a bit more money you can get a used D5100 with a telescopic zoom lens (Tamron 70-300) which is decent enough to shoot that buzzard from about 40-50 yards away.

Archived