IGNORED

Joe Garner -The Difference

Major Isewater

looking at their forum they don't seem to think they are storming anything, more that they are grinding out results. There is a 6 or 7 page thread about a chance that Beckford missed and the overall impression you get is that they generally are not impressed with him.

I think their views are that there is a frustration that they are good at going 1-0 up, but then they tend to sit back to much, to often giving away an equaliser. Think our first eleven is at least a match for theirs, but their squad is a little deeper. Let's see how they cope today.

I think their views are that there is a frustration that they are good at going 1-0 up, but then they tend to sit back to much, to often giving away an equaliser. Think our first eleven is at least a match for theirs, but their squad is a little deeper. Let's see how they cope today.

PNE's squad at least 10 deeper, they can have 4 'first choice' players out injured/suspended/rested and replace with similar quality.

looking at their forum they don't seem to think they are storming anything, more that they are grinding out results. There is a 6 or 7 page thread about a chance that Beckford missed and the overall impression you get is that they generally are not impressed with him.

He missed an absolute sitter against Fleetwood that would have seen them go 2-0 up, if Agard had missed it there would of been a 700 page thread on here!

In Garner they have a player that has scored 20 goals despite missing a couple of months and Beckford a player who has 8 goals in less than 20 appearances. More than enough fire power to cause anyone in this division a problem.

Dont think 'stroming' is the right word. They have built their season on a very good defence, a little like us. Apart from a handful of games they have won most of theirs by the odd goal and rarely scoring more than 1 or 2. Next weeks game will be very tight and I think whoever scores will win the game. 

Dont think 'stroming' is the right word. They have built their season on a very good defence, a little like us. Apart from a handful of games they have won most of theirs by the odd goal and rarely scoring more than 1 or 2. Next weeks game will be very tight and I think whoever scores will win the game. 

It definitely isn't, it doesn't exist!  :blink:

I agree, and Thank You Ray Wilkins for your valuable input.

The main reason we're top is that it is more of a team effort and if one player is missing there's always someone ready to take their place. That's why we've not had a 'bad run' like all the other teams have when their star player has been out for a few weeks.

Callum Robinson has been a massive part of their good run. When he returned to villa they went on a bad run, his return back to PNE coincided with Garner coming back. Surprised he's on the bench today though. Robinson was the best player on the pitch at Ashton Gate

Preston failed to loan in a decent player when Garner was out, we brought in Matt Smith when Wilbraham and Agard were out.

That is why we are top and they are 8 points behind us, our ability to source adequate cover.

5*

They have the best strikers in the league by a mile. Beckford, Garner and Johnson is a formidable strike trio for Division 3!

I'd strongly argue Wilbraham has out performed two of those three..

Preston failed to loan in a decent player when Garner was out, we brought in Matt Smith when Wilbraham and Agard were out.

That is why we are top and they are 8 points behind us, our ability to source adequate cover.

And hence why we should have got another loan in once Smith had gone back.

Late contender for post of the season? ... :)

Why?

Wilbraham was back fit, as was Agard. You know, the players that scored for fun at the beginning of the season and shot us to the top with a stunning goal difference.

2 players both coming back off long lay offs is clearly why

2 players both coming back off long lay offs is clearly why

Wilbraham's return overlapped with Smith being here and had a controlled return.  I think Agard's did too, but I can't be arsed to check because we had JET who has been more effective for us than Beckford has for Preston.

I do not understand what you think would have been different had we loaned someone else in - if we could have found someone effective.

I think Beckford has also made big difference to them, in the way Smith did for us.

Should they win today, difficult to argue it is not 'game on' for the title race.

Still a pity SC did not  get someone in when Smith left. Beckford still doing the business at Preston.

Still a pity SC did not  get someone in when Smith left. Beckford still doing the business at Preston.

I agree. I remember Joe Jordan bringing in first Iain Ferguson and then Nicky Morgan in 1990, which made all the difference, especially as Super Bob pulled a hamstring. Cotterill seems to think that loan signings can destabilise a team, but I don't see that having happened with Smith, Tavernier or Saville. I think he missed a trick by not bringing in a young, mobile and hungry striker from the Prem. Other clubs have done it. A strike force of Wilbraham, JET and Agard is just not quite strong enough at the business end of the season. As we've seen, if things aren't going our way, there is little Cotterill can do. Even Wes Burns offers the unexpected, as he showed on many occasions last season. Remember Trundle and Noble coming in with a few games to go in the play-off season?

I'd have liked to see us go over the finishing line in style, rather than limping up the final strait. We may yet do that, but Cotterill hasn't made it easy for himself.

Umm, obviously Cotts felt what we needed more were Tav and Sav. Now in fairness to them, they have both done a job when called upon, but in limited time on the pitch have hardly been able to do more than that. Rightly or wrongly outright strikers get judged on goals scored, and Agard with 1 in 10? is going through a rough patch. Now if he could just find a bit of form...

Archived