IGNORED

22 Years Ago Today - 6 April 1993

WessexPest

The "Do You Miss the Derby Thread" reminded me that exactly 22 years ago today was what, IMHO, was the best Bristol derby in terms of atmosphere and outcome in the 30 years I've been watching City.

Both teams were in the second tier; City were hovering around the lower reaches and somewhat nervously looking over our shoulders, while the Gas were rooted to the bottom of the table. A defeat for Rovers would effectively relegate them.

We were smarting from a disastrous 4-0 defeat at Trumpton back in the December and were thirsting for revenge and to condemn them back to the division they had so heartbreakingly pipped us to three seasons earlier.

Nicky Morgan opened the scoring with a smart half-volley in front of the EE. Then Ian Alexander did what he did best in the derby and got himself sent off for handling the ball on the line. Up steps Tins, newly-signed, to dispatch the resultant penalty into the net.

Gary Penrice puled one back to ensure a nervy finish but City held on.

Great scenes at the final whistle that night, and a chorus of "**** off Irene, the Gas are going down", to which they had no answer.

We won, stayed up - Gas went down and have been in the wilderness ever since.

'pologies for the lack of supporting video evidence a la the Donowa game a few weeks back - highlights of this game WERE available on YouTube a while ago but seem to have disappeared. Even Mark Lawrenson's co-commentary couldn't spoil it.

The "Do You Miss the Derby Thread" reminded me that exactly 22 years ago today was what, IMHO, was the best Bristol derby in terms of atmosphere and outcome in the 30 years I've been watching City.

Both teams were in the second tier; City were hovering around the lower reaches and somewhat nervously looking over our shoulders, while the Gas were rooted to the bottom of the table. A defeat for Rovers would effectively relegate them.

We were smarting from a disastrous 4-0 defeat at Trumpton back in the December and were thirsting for revenge and to condemn them back to the division they had so heartbreakingly pipped us to three seasons earlier.

Nicky Morgan opened the scoring with a smart half-volley in front of the EE. Then Ian Alexander did what he did best in the derby and got himself sent off for handling the ball on the line. Up steps Tins, newly-signed, to dispatch the resultant penalty into the net.

Gary Penrice puled one back to ensure a nervy finish but City held on.

Great scenes at the final whistle that night, and a chorus of "**** off Irene, the Gas are going down", to which they had no answer.

We won, stayed up - Gas went down and have been in the wilderness ever since.

'pologies for the lack of supporting video evidence a la the Donowa game a few weeks back - highlights of this game WERE available on YouTube a while ago but seem to have disappeared. Even Mark Lawrenson's co-commentary couldn't spoil it.

A lot of videos had to be taken off YouTube once the Football League started using it for their own content. People with videos on there started to be threatened with legal action and the videos were removed.

A lot of videos had to be taken off YouTube once the Football League started using it for their own content. People with videos on there started to be threatened with legal action and the videos were removed.

Heard this elsewhere - Football League - another bunch of clowns

Remember the City centre back, Thompson was it who we got from Millwall, coming out of the tunnel for this match with the ball attached to his foot. Rovers seemed to play better once they were a man short they pulled one back and produced a few hairy moments until the final whistle.

Was my first ever derby, would have been 11.

What I'd give to re-live it as a modern day me. We were sat at the front of the Williams, in what would have been the chicken run.

Abiding memories were R*vers going down to ten men but making a better game of it with ten (confused the shit out of me, as an 11 year old) and City fans on the pitch at the end chanting 'Going Down! Going Down! Going Down!' at the Rovers fans situated where away fans of next season will be, funnily enough.

There was no moral panic about it all then, though.

Another anacdote was that the teacher in the other classroom at school was a gas head and made a bet with one of the City kids in his class that whoever lost had to stand on a chair and sing the opposing club's song.

Pretty sure he wouldn't have sang 'Drink up thy Zider ' in front of a load of 10/11 year olds but was also 'reliably' informed that he did honour the bet.

Heard this elsewhere - Football League - another bunch of clowns

It's true, I'm the past I've uploaded videos of city penalties in there and the Football League have put a copyright on the, and YouTube have deleted them, warning me my account will be deleted with any more breaches of copyright.

Archived