IGNORED

Swindon Town @ The Gate May 1987

REDTURK

I have read reference  of this particular game in some earlier threads.

I remember this game very well.

It was slightly the reverse of the situation we have now. Swindon were already assured of their place in the end of season play offs. We needed to win this game to make certain that we joined them.

For a game featuring two teams in the bottom tier of English football a crowd of almost 20,000 was in attendance to witness a very exciting game on a hot sunny day in May.

I remember this game so well not just because of the above as it was the first game that I took my girlfriend to (she is now my wife)

When city scored in the first half the East End  behind the goal went really mental (including me ). I forgot that I had brought my girlfriend with me as I was so taken up in the euphoria of the moment celebrating with my mates. When things had quietened down I noticed that she had moved a few further steps down the terracing. On reaching her I realised that she had half fainted .... and had only been kept upright by the surging and close compactness of the crowd behind the goal. Of course being a noble suitor I immediately took her to the St Johns Ambulance outside the ground where under their professional and caring stewardship she began to feel better. They recommended that she should stay with them for at least another I/2 an hour...... Oh God what do I do? ......... stay with my future wife or go and watch the remainder of such a crucial game...... You got it I left her and rushed back to my mates in the East End. You might think this harsh and inconsiderate but I had to ensure that she knew how important the City are to me!  She must love me as we have now been married for over 25 years!

I have found this bit of footage from the actual game you tube/HTV.  I've not transferred a link onto a post before so hope it works ok.

The good old Roger Malone introduces it ( my god he makes Steve Davies seem interesting!). For some reason before the actual game footage he talks about and shows footage of some end of match on aggro between a couple of City supporters and a Swindon player and some City fans showing what they think of Lou Macari during the game behind the dug out.

20000 was a fantastic attendance that day you take into account the Dolman was in its original format with no lower terracing ( much as it looks now during the revamp) and the segregation between the city park enders and the Swindon fans in the old open end was huge.... there was more trouble in those days young ens! Not too sure that there will be that much between the two sets of supporters tomorrow evening though!

1987-05-09 Bristol City vs Swindon Town - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DneRGGBlDw

Does anyone remember going down to the Rovers v Swindon game - at Ashton Gate in the 80's. I did.

Got kicked out from the enclosure (gas) when the doopy, doopy doo song 'kicked it off".Then got back in via the Dolman (swindon). Funny day and the park was rather eventful after.

Loads of City turned up to welcome both enemies!

Surely a few on here can remember that day?

Good times! A well known character who unfortunately is no longer with us loved this day.

Does anyone remember going down to the Rovers v Swindon game - at Ashton Gate in the 80's. I did.

Got kicked out from the enclosure (gas) when the doopy, doopy doo song 'kicked it off".Then got back in via the Dolman (swindon). Funny day and the park was rather eventful after.

Loads of City turned up to welcome both enemies!

Surely a few on here can remember that day?

Good times! A well known character who unfortunately is no longer with us loved this day.

Went in the Dolman, about 20/30 don't think we made sitting down before OB threw us out. Most went back in but I'd spent all my money in the pub previously  :P  :yawn:

Archived