IGNORED

Oldland Common

BRISTOL86

Hi Folks

Lady 86 and I have had an offer accepted on a house in the OC, and wondered if anyone else from here was from around those parts and could let me know their thoughts on the area?

I grew up in Whitchurch and have only been over "this way" for 5 years, however this way is Hanham/St. George and so it's still pretty much a new area for us! We've done a few reccies of the immediate area and like what we see so far.

Cheers

I used to live exactly there.....anyways

The areas quiet, as you would expect. The closest pub to you would be the Lamb in Cadbury Heath. That particular area is rammed full of gas, so I wouldnt walk in wearing a City top.

In oldland itself there's 3 pubs and a social club. Of the pubs the Dolphin is probably the best, and busiest. Of the other two, the Crown and Horseshoe is your traditional boozer, and the Cherry Tree is Middle of the road between food place and pub.

For you, closest busses to town would be from Banjo island in Cadbury Heath, or from further up California Road. Closest station is Keynsham, and the journey from there takes 6 minutes.

For shopping, there's a small coop in Banjo island, and Longell Green high street has a Tesco, an Aldi and a Morrisons. The closest big Supermarket would be Asda in Longwell Green. Further afield there's a Sainsburys in Emersons Green or to be really posh, a Waitrose in Keynsham. Both are 10 mins down the ring road in either direction.

Longwell green also has a number of shops just past Asda, everything from B&Q to M&S.

There's a leisure centre on the other side of the ring road to that complex, along with cinema, gym ect.

The local exchange is still copper, so I'd advise getting cable with Virgin is you want decent net speeds.

Drop me a pm if you wanna meet up for a beer when you've settled in.

Thanks for that BCR! Yes the Lamb is definitely the nearest, must say it doesn't look like a particularly nice pub! Gas would explain a lot :laugh:

Luckily Virgin can supply us, so I'm really looking forward to that after 5 years of 2mb ADSL from Sky (no alternative in Crews Hole!) 

Good luck with the move B86.Hope it all works out well.Have to say fair play to the Estate Agent if he convinced you that Cadbury Heath is actually Oldland Common!

Ha, I've checked and it's definitely not CH! Royal Mail and Google Maps can't be wrong. Right?!

Whilst you guys are at it...

Looking to buy a house and quite often find places around the areas mentioned.

Barrs Court any good? No biased answers please Barrs Court Red...

Looked at a house in CH. Yea.... Not a nice area.

Any recommendations for areas to search would be most appreciated :)

Don't really know the eastern side of Bristol too well, including the likes of Hanham, Warmley and Soundwell etc.

Ideally looking for somewhere to access the M4 east and Bristol City centre.

Whilst you guys are at it...

Looking to buy a house and quite often find places around the areas mentioned.

Barrs Court any good? No biased answers please Barrs Court Red...

Looked at a house in CH. Yea.... Not a nice area.

Any recommendations for areas to search would be most appreciated :)

Don't really know the eastern side of Bristol too well, including the likes of Hanham, Warmley and Soundwell etc.

Ideally looking for somewhere to access the M4 east and Bristol City centre.

I grew up in Hanham and it is a nice area. I'd say it is nicer than Barrs Court, Cadbury Heath and Warmley.

However, I moved near Gloucester Road three years ago and absolutely love it. Close to M32 so covers your M4 requirement and also only fifteen minutes drive from the centre and has regular buses. I have a young family so St Andrews Park is a massive hit and the wife and I love the Gloucester Road independent shops.

Also, some fantastic pubs and bars and music venues on Glos Road.

Ignore the Mem Ground and it's the place to be!!

Depends on what you want I guess and your circumstances.

We're first time buyers.

I grew up in Hanham and it is a nice area. I'd say it is nicer than Barrs Court, Cadbury Heath and Warmley.

However, I moved near Gloucester Road three years ago and absolutely love it. Close to M32 so covers your M4 requirement and also only fifteen minutes drive from the centre and has regular buses. I have a young family so St Andrews Park is a massive hit and the wife and I love the Gloucester Road independent shops.

Also, some fantastic pubs and bars and music venues on Glos Road.

Ignore the Mem Ground and it's the place to be!!

With you on that. Spend quite a bit of time this way as I've got some mates who live there and go gym on Glos Rd. And I also enjoy everything about Glos Rd, but it's very pricey around there, unless looking for a 'project' place or apartment! :(

Otherwise, Glos Rd would be ideal.

But looking east of the M32 now, however, would never rule anything out that way!

We're first time buyers.

With you on that. Spend quite a bit of time this way as I've got some mates who live there and go gym on Glos Rd. And I also enjoy everything about Glos Rd, but it's very pricey around there, unless looking for a 'project' place or apartment! :(

Otherwise, Glos Rd would be ideal.

But looking east of the M32 now, however, would never rule anything out that way!

Hanham/Longwell Green then mate I reckon. Good luck!

I wouldn't move to Barrs Court unless you have kids or plan on having some soon. It's perfect for families, but there's not much going on for adults.

Likewise Longwell Green.

Hanham would be a better fit, but it has some very rough parts so worth scouting first. The new builds around the common look smart.

That was why we chose where we did, BCR. 

We're not really into the whole going out in town scene - and we'd like to start a family in a couple of years and wanted somewhere we could grow into without having to consider moving again any time soon.

We were planning on seeing a house in Bakersfield in Longwell Green (just off of Long Beach Road) which was a lovely quiet little bit, but it sold before we could even view it. But I think we'll be happy where we are. The road we're on is a dead end so no through traffic and hopefully nice and quiet, good public transport links, and still only 10 minutes on my commute from where I am now hopefully.

Me too. Did 'ee go to Samuel White's, Red Dave?

I did Robbo. And Hanham Abbots and Hanham High. That's why I'm so clever.

Did you complete the Hanham Hattrick or were you forced away by evil parents?

I would ask if we know each other but I seem to remember reading on here a bit about your career and guess you are slightly older than my 34 years. Either that or you've crammed a lot into a short space of time!

I wouldn't move to Barrs Court unless you have kids or plan on having some soon. It's perfect for families, but there's not much going on for adults.

Likewise Longwell Green.

Hanham would be a better fit, but it has some very rough parts so worth scouting first. The new builds around the common look smart.

Where are the rough parts in Hanham? I'd say there are very few. Kingswood is where the rough uns live.

Not moved yet BCR! Waiting for a date for mortgage valuation and survey at the moment! Nothing happens quickly does it....

Yes we are aware of the meat machine! It's quality!

I did notice my old house had sold, small world if it's the one.

Only problem with the meat machines the way my freezer magically fills with meat

I did Robbo. And Hanham Abbots and Hanham High. That's why I'm so clever.

Did you complete the Hanham Hattrick or were you forced away by evil parents?

I would ask if we know each other but I seem to remember reading on here a bit about your career and guess you are slightly older than my 34 years. Either that or you've crammed a lot into a short space of time!

I did the Hanham Hat-trick too. Bit older at 37! Now live in Abingdon, Oxfordshire (surprisingly!).

Would agree that not (m)any rough areas in Hanham, parks/walks for kids, schools aren't bad, easy to get bus to town.

Archived