IGNORED

Red Bull

tunnie123

Anyone else see wilbraham drink a can of red bull while walking out onto the pitch? Even had it while pushing the fan in the wheelchair, just thought it is a bit of a weird thing to down befor a football match surely isn't good for his guts. Was just a bit odd I thought!!

Very strange choice of drink....loaded with sugar which definitely effects performance levels over the course of an entire game.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine who is into his egg chasing said that the pro rugby teams have sponsorship with lucozade so have to be seen with their products. They tend to tip out the lucozade and fill with a very watered down squash which the science bods reckon is the best prep for a game.

In amateur sport it's often accepted that the effects of caffeine can have positive influence on performance when you are tiring. It can inspire you to keep going.

In professional sport and with very fit people I would expect caffeine to have a net negative effect.

Very strange choice of drink....loaded with sugar which definitely effects performance levels over the course of an entire game.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine who is into his egg chasing said that the pro rugby teams have sponsorship with lucozade so have to be seen with their products. They tend to tip out the lucozade and fill with a very watered down squash which the science bods reckon is the best prep for a game.

Would surprise me. My cousin who has a PHd and is a director at GSK primarily working with their sports energy drinks, there much more science that goes into them than I'd ever imagined.

Would surprise me. My cousin who has a PHd and is a director at GSK primarily working with their sports energy drinks, there much more science that goes into them than I'd ever imagined.

Lucozade is a GSK product isnt it?

I must admit I find this thread a little depressing. I don't think we could reasonably expect more from Wilbs so why question his preparation - he's doing the business, I'd presume him adequately prepared. Also, this ain't a spring chicken. It's a guy who has played professionally for a very long time and even at the top domestic level. He is old enough and wise enough to know his body, know his routine and make the right choices.

If he was making the wrong choices again we wouldn't be talking about it because suitably qualified persons with access to contemporaneous research will prevent him doing so - I'm talking about our nutrionists, physios etc - people who will be suitably qualified and up to date.

I must admit I'm no scientist - I was crap at science - but at a high level the human body seems to react in individual and remarkable ways to substances. We all have our own nuances: food allergies, intolerances, metabolic rates and other such processes. To take an extreme example I wonder how many of 100 men could survive to reach the same age George Best did with equal, identical substance abuse. The point I'm making is whilst you may have a general rule, you will unlikely have a rule of general application. Red Bull may enhance Wilbs' performance for reasons applicable to his unique genetic make up.

As an overarching comment I struggle with the concept of ideal ways to live. Scientific opinion is only based upon our knowledge of science now. 80 years ago a lobotomy was a scientifically sound procedure, more recently thalidomide was a reasonable drug to prescribe, there was that weight loss drug that gave you 20 times more chance of getting lung disease; there's still asbestos in our schools. What is good today may be of no effect or even detrimental tomorrow. Living life moderately for me is the easy way to try to cover all basis. Now excuse me whilst I moderate into chips, cheese and jalepenos

It is actually quite dangerous to take that product prior to exercise in some circumstances.

There were a number of mystery deaths at Sandhurst in the 90's where fit young officer cadets collapsedxamd died on Monday cross countries. It was eventually uncovered that they had all been consuming red bull pre run to help them recover from weekend benders.

I am not suggesting AB takes red bull for hangovers mind.

Lucozade is a GSK product isnt it?

I must admit I find this thread a little depressing. I don't think we could reasonably expect more from Wilbs so why question his preparation - he's doing the business, I'd presume him adequately prepared. Also, this ain't a spring chicken. It's a guy who has played professionally for a very long time and even at the top domestic level. He is old enough and wise enough to know his body, know his routine and make the right choices.

If he was making the wrong choices again we wouldn't be talking about it because suitably qualified persons with access to contemporaneous research will prevent him doing so - I'm talking about our nutrionists, physios etc - people who will be suitably qualified and up to date.

I must admit I'm no scientist - I was crap at science - but at a high level the human body seems to react in individual and remarkable ways to substances. We all have our own nuances: food allergies, intolerances, metabolic rates and other such processes. To take an extreme example I wonder how many of 100 men could survive to reach the same age George Best did with equal, identical substance abuse. The point I'm making is whilst you may have a general rule, you will unlikely have a rule of general application. Red Bull may enhance Wilbs' performance for reasons applicable to his unique genetic make up.

As an overarching comment I struggle with the concept of ideal ways to live. Scientific opinion is only based upon our knowledge of science now. 80 years ago a lobotomy was a scientifically sound procedure, more recently thalidomide was a reasonable drug to prescribe, there was that weight loss drug that gave you 20 times more chance of getting lung disease; there's still asbestos in our schools. What is good today may be of no effect or even detrimental tomorrow. Living life moderately for me is the easy way to try to cover all basis. Now excuse me whilst I moderate into chips, cheese and jalepenos

Contender for over reaction of the year, Jesus...

No one is questioning his preparation as such just observing that it's an odd thing to drink before a game.

You'd expect a come down from an energy drink within an hour so he must have another at half time to keep him going!

Archived