IGNORED

How Good Is Our Training Ground?

B-Rizzle

I know that in recent years the club have invested money in improving our training facilities. As far as I'm aware there are a number of relatively new, pristine pitches at Failand for the players to train on. There are also changing, gym and canteen facilities so that the team can be entirely based at Failand rather than the back and forth to Ashton gate that used to occur.

My understanding is that the club also shares these facilities with QEH who have been based at the premises for much longer than us. So only to an extent is it 'ours' or completely fit for purpose for a professional football club as the facilities also need to suit the school and their requirements.

I've noticed lots of championship clubs of similar size to us are investing in super duper knew training HQ's solely for the clubs use and completely designed for their needs. These include large 'clubhouses' and 3G and indoor pitches etc.

What is the future for us? Surely with our ambitions and the redeveloped Ashton Gate there is only so far our recent improvements to training facilities can take us.

I know that in recent years the club have invested money in improving our training facilities. As far as I'm aware there are a number of relatively new, pristine pitches at Failand for the players to train on. There are also changing, gym and canteen facilities so that the team can be entirely based at Failand rather than the back and forth to Ashton gate that used to occur.

My understanding is that the club also shares these facilities with QEH who have been based at the premises for much longer than us. So only to an extent is it 'ours' or completely fit for purpose for a professional football club as the facilities also need to suit the school and their requirements.

I've noticed lots of championship clubs of similar size to us are investing in super duper knew training HQ's solely for the clubs use and completely designed for their needs. These include large 'clubhouses' and 3G and indoor pitches etc.

What is the future for us? Surely with our ambitions and the redeveloped Ashton Gate there is only so far our recent improvements to training facilities can take us.

Would the team be quicker on 4G pitch? My phone is.

Im all for exploring sharing facilities with QEH as long as funding/upkeep is also shared. I have no knowledge of costs to run/maintain these facilities but surely its a cost which the club need to look at reducing - this is a business after all. Seems a sensible solution to look at this as a viable option.  I guess if this was a problem by now, something would have been done but i'm sure this benefits both parties.

The training facilities at Failand are very, very good. I know a couple of people who've been up there and worked at Championship level clubs (one of those being Cardiff) and they have said ours are the best they've seen.

Ashton Vale - the plans are for a "sporting academy" last we heard... I wonder if that would mean the youngsters would be able to train much closer to the first team, which would be great news as currently they're over in Filton.

Failand is up there with some of the best of the Championship training facilities for sure.. Obviously the step up to the premier legaue facilities is another world again, what they have af Man City for example is madness..

I don't know myself but what are you basing that on? When I see plans for Reading and Brightons training complexes I struggle to see how Failand is right up there. Sure, I believe the pitches are probably in pretty tip top condition. And yes, all the facilities are there that we need e.g. Gym and cafeteria etc BUT at the end of the day we still share it with the school and the building isn't even brand new is it? I'm not sure we have the amount of things there e.g. Indoor pitches to rival championship clubs. Do we?

I don't know myself but what are you basing that on? When I see plans for Reading and Brightons training complexes I struggle to see how Failand is right up there. Sure, I believe the pitches are probably in pretty tip top condition. And yes, all the facilities are there that we need e.g. Gym and cafeteria etc BUT at the end of the day we still share it with the school and the building isn't even brand new is it? I'm not sure we have the amount of things there e.g. Indoor pitches to rival championship clubs. Do we?

And city still use David Lloyd health club to train players

I won a raffle prize at an end of season award a few years ago. Had a day's tour watching the team train. The facilities looked good then pitches the same size and grass height as AG, changing facilities and canteen area. With room to expand I bet it's even more impressive now.

Strange day I'll never forget as it was the day Coppell left. So we saw all the "suits" coming onto the pitch to make announcements to the team.

I don't see sharing facilities with QEH being a problem. The players only use the pitches for a few hours a day and the pupils probably use them after they have finished. There are always interviews shown filmed at Failand and there are never hoards of school kids trampling over pitches in the background is there? They have several pitches anyway, one being made from last seasons Ashton Gate turf. Didn't Joe go to QEH, they must have taught him something football wise?

Edit: was it not the school's land anyway, has to be part of the agreement when the club purchased it I would think?

I don't see sharing facilities with QEH being a problem. The players only use the pitches for a few hours a day and the pupils probably use them after they have finished. There are always interviews shown filmed at Failand and there are never hoards of school kids trampling over pitches in the background is there? They have several pitches anyway, one being made from last seasons Ashton Gate turf. Didn't Joe go to QEH, they must have taught him something football wise?

Edit: was it not the school's land anyway, has to be part of the agreement when the club purchased it I would think?

Yes Joe did go to QEH..

The boys very very rarely use the football clubs pitches, the interviews take place before the boys come up for games and yes it is the school's land.

I go to the school and we get there after the players leave for rugby plus football and yes Joe did go there

I was at BGS and we used to meet QEH lads on our way down to the Cenyre, in Park Row and through the bombed out buildings where the Ice rink was later built. The odd fisticuffs but mostly just banter!

Wow!

You were obviously there some years before me, but I used to go ice skating with some QEH friends on Tuesday (or was it Thursday?) afternoons.

No fistiicuffs, but great fun trying to chat up the girls from the various schools who were having their sports lessons. 

Archived