IGNORED

Worst Rule In Football

sglosbcfc

Did they not do this for a couple of years when they were reducing the size of the top league? Just have half a memory of it, and Charlton beating Leeds?

They did, and there were some major punch-ups, particularly with a two leg final.

Did they not do this for a couple of years when they were reducing the size of the top league? Just have half a memory of it, and Charlton beating Leeds?

Yep you are correct and we also relegated Sheff Utd from the div above in the play offs when a Sheff Wed supporter playing for us scored a superb diving header at Bramall Lane - Mr Carl Shutt....

To much diving in the penalty area for penalties.

A bit random, but often wondered if you just scrapped penalties for fouls in the penalty box whether you would see a lot less diving. Equally, I would reserve penalty kicks for when a clear goal scoring opportunity has been denied, wherever it occurs on the pitch. No red card, just treat booking etc if justified for the challenge itself.

It might cause new problems, but always thought it was worth a try to solve one of my big bugbears.

Definitely this.

Player tripped slightly on the way out of a packed box should not equal a penalty.

Player hacked from behind on the edge of the arc with only the keeper to beat definitely should.

I can't ever see it happening, but it would make so much sense. The punishment should fit the crime.

Similarly, you'd get rid of those annoying moments where a cross hits a defender on the hand from point blank range. If they didn't have to give a penalty because of the box, you could just give a free kick inside and be done with it.

(Which links to handball - any contact with the hand should be a free kick, clearly deliberate should be a yellow, clearly deliberate on the goal line etc. straight red. Would remove so much interpretation & confusion.)

Off subject a bit but I would like to see the playoff format changed. Said it for ages I would have one game with teams finishing 3rd and 4th in the league being at home. Should be an advantage for teams finishing higher in the league.

I would like to see third bottom of the higher league play third top of the lower league over two legs in a 'winner takes all' tie.

Yate born Gary Warren, the Inverness Caledonian Thistle centre half is going to miss the Scottish Cup Final after helping Inverness beat Celtic yesterday in the Semi because he has two bookings in the tournament. FFS a centre half gets two bookings in the modern game where they are given out like confetti and misses the pinnacle of his career. This rule is antiquated and needs ditching in all competitions. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

ICT are fortunate to be in the final at all after the Meekings hand ball denying Celtic a clear second goal though. At 2-0 who knows if ICT would have come back but less likely:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32409694

ICT are fortunate to be in the final at all after the Meekings hand ball denying Celtic a clear second goal though. At 2-0 who knows if ICT would have come back but less likely:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32409694

Yes, getting back to my original post, I have now heard that Meekings is going to be banned as well, that is just crazy. The ref missed his handball, it was instinctive, he got lucky move on. The SFA are going to keep both Inverness centre halves out of the greatest days of their footballing lives, for what? Two bookings for one and an instinctive handball by another. FFS CRAZY!

I love the playoffs as a neutral and think it's been extremely successful in serving its purpose (money, entertainment, competition) such that it should be sacrosanct.

I think the home leg first is an advantage enough for teams finishing higher in the league (albeit very slim) because the away goals rule operates. The away side in the first leg is really in a quagmire: go for a stalemate and really you're playing to keep a team out for 180 plus minutes, or go for the away goals and take that advantage with you.

Another observation, should the higher placed team get an advantage at all? The play offs are not an extension of the league but a three game cup competition. They've just each done what was needed to qualify for that competition.

The higher placed team is away first leg, and there's no away goals so completely wrong

Archived