IGNORED

Boiler Problems

'Orns

On top of mobile phone issues, I also have a problem with the boiler

We know that we are going to need to replace in the next couple of years, but as we're getting married in September we were hoping to hang onto our current one a little longer

Every now and then it doesn't trigger from the thermostat, so we have to press the button in the unit to get her going - no big deal. However, at the weekend we noticed that radiators downstairs aren't working, but upstairs is fine, and hot water is fine. Any experts out there that can advise, is this the start of a major meltdown, or maybe a blockage / pump issue? If it's blockage / pump any rough idea on cost to fix would be brilliant. It's an Ideal Elan 2

(again) thanks in advance

We know that we are going to need to replace in the next couple of years, but as we're getting married in September we were hoping to hang onto our current one a little longer

Every now and then it doesn't trigger from the thermostat, so we have to press the button in the unit to get her going - no big deal. However, at the weekend we noticed that radiators downstairs aren't working, but upstairs is fine, and hot water is fine. Any experts out there that can advise, is this the start of a major meltdown, or maybe a blockage / pump issue? If it's blockage / pump any rough idea on cost to fix would be brilliant. It's an Ideal Elan 2

Sounds kind of air lockish. I am no expert could be any number of things. But when I had exactly the same problem I turned them all off. Then turned on 1 at a time the ones that were not working to try and force pressure through and move the air lock. Worked for me. Could be as easy as using your radiator key and letting some trapped air out of the affected radiators.

I would try the key first and see if heat starts coming back. If not I would try the turn all radiators off option and bring one on at a time. If you have thermostatic valves, could be the pin beneath it is stuck. Often you will find the pipe feeding the radiator is hot but radiator is cold if the themostatic pin is the problem. If this is the problem you often find the valve come off with a Allan key and you can then wiggle the pin to losen it with pliers.

Like I say I am no expert hopefully someone out there that can give you better advice

could well be the pump or blockage would try changing the pump if no good then a powerflush. pumps are about 130 plus labour. Power flush around 450. Might be better off having a full system upgrade new rads new boiler would probably save money on gas ect in the long run

could well be the pump or blockage would try changing the pump if no good then a powerflush. pumps are about 130 plus labour. Power flush around 450. Might be better off having a full system upgrade new rads new boiler would probably save money on gas ect in the long run

Thanks Chivs - we are going to go down the new system route I think. I sent a pic of the system a friend of a friend - his old man had the same system, similar problem and he couldn't find spares.....that kinda made our minds up!

No thermocouples are make and model differed in afraid do u honestly think boiler company's would make parts so u don't have o buy there own :laugh:

Chivers any chance you could re-write the post so it's comprehensible?

Are you saying that you can't get universal and super universal t/cpls that will fit different makes and models?

Archived