IGNORED

Rip Gregory Mertens (Merged)

Avalonred

When you put it like that I don't know why we do it!!

Rip of course. Sad news

We do it because we love it, but perspective is important. At different times of our life we invest more, or less, of ourselves in football. All of the above is natural but we have to realise what it really is.

I've loved this year but I've also needed football more as well (good timing I guess).

RIP

Very sad when anyone passes away.

Not sure why but this type of story seems to be more frequent nowadays??

RIP

What crossed my mind when reading the report, other than what an awfully young age to pass away, when seemingly in such good health, is how when news outlets report a death, it is always a good person who dies.

Just once I would like the work colleagues of someone recently deceased to comment something like "Christ, he was an odious ****, the whole office was cheering when we got the news and we have been in the pub all afternoon."

I agree puts what into perspective!!! Everyone dies if it ia in football

..cricket..banking or road sweeping. Never understood the "puts it into perspective" saying. You could be saying it everyday for anyone that died if you really cared.

I agree puts what into perspective!!! Everyone dies if it ia in football

..cricket..banking or road sweeping. Never understood the "puts it into perspective" saying. You could be saying it everyday for anyone that died if you really cared.

True, but in this case the two are connected, this is a football forum and a football player died at the age of 24.  A tragic occurrence, as many happen everyday, but we are discussing football and there is an entire thread about a fan that flew from Australia getting a ticket to a match.    That is what perspective means.

We do it because we love it, but perspective is important. At different times of our life we invest more, or less, of ourselves in football. All of the above is natural but we have to realise what it really is.

I've loved this year but I've also needed football more as well (good timing I guess).

RIP

But deep for me mate but fair enough.

What crossed my mind when reading the report, other than what an awfully young age to pass away, when seemingly in such good health, is how when news outlets report a death, it is always a good person who dies.

Just once I would like the work colleagues of someone recently deceased to comment something like "Christ, he was an odious ****, the whole office was cheering when we got the news and we have been in the pub all afternoon."

What I think this shows is that death puts all of our little squabbles and bickering into perspective.

When Gordon Brown and David Cameron lost offspring at a similar time, parliament shared an uncharacteristically cross-party compassion with each other.

Humans do seem to unite the most in extreme circumstances, it brings the best out of us.

See also the Merseyside clubs and Hillsborough.

It shouldn't need a death to put football into perspective. I think age does that. Until the age of about 23 a City loss would put me in a bad mood for a couple of days. Then it was probably 24 hours and now I have kids it's a matter of hours, if that.

...and now mine are older its hardly last a moment.  However, now they are all City fans and come to the game they are the ones that get upset and then that upsets me seeing my kids upset!   Will this never end???

My post has been merged into the RIP thread.... Not really the best place for it... so mods, can you remove my post. I never had or never would make comment like that in a RIP thread.

Cheers

Trl

RIP Gregory Mertens, died after doing what he and we loved...............Football. This is my 1000th post and was going to keep it until after FGR v Gas game tomorrow after all football is only a game but I dedicate it to Gregory Mertens, Rest in Peace.

Archived