IGNORED

Glamour Ties

Sydneybcfc

OK so when we drew West Ham this year there was a lot of grumbling that we never get anyone 'big' and we had just played the hammers in the league a few seasons ago.
This has got me thinking, where do people feel we sit in the 92 for Glamour Ties?
So this is hopefully different from the usual 'how big are we' conversation, you need to imagine you are a fan of a non-league team (not that one) and have no existing rivalries and geolocation doesn't matter.
Your team has reached the first round of the cup and all 92 league teams come into it and you draw the mighty Bristol City...
I'm going to base it on this season where we finished 45th in the league, discounting the premiership teams (because there is an argument we are more glamours than Burnley) and ignoring where everyone else finished this season where do you think we finish on the glamour scale and who do you think needs to be swapped from lower to higher and vice versa.

Teams below us more glamorous:
Wimbledon - Tough one as they are a new co and not the original but i think the name still carries some clout
Portsmouth - Long time in the Prem
Sheffield United
Preston
Bradford
Coventry - Dave Rennie

Teams in the championship less glamorous:
Bournemouth - As i said ignoring final positions
Brentford  same as Bournemouth
Huddersfield
Rotherham
Blackpool

There are to my mind a couple that could go either way, but i think that keeps up soundly 'mid-table' at 46th in the Non-Leagues most glamorous ties one below our final league position.
Agree?

I don't think there is a degree of glamour such that you could 'rank' the 92 - it's either glamourous or not. For example, I'm no more excited about a game against QPR than I am Brentford - not in any distinguishable amount anyway.

But cravat is French for tie !

I like the pink one

"Cravate" ,the proper spelling in French ,don't you know , is a bastardisation of the word " Croat " from whence originally came the neck garment.

The Croatian army of yore wore a tie when going into and out of battle .The French found this very fetching and it became a fashion in high society .

I believe the illustration is a photo taken from Marc Bolan's dressing room .

But I'm using the word in the 'english toff' sense. Tally-ho!

A toff wouldnt wear a cravat, cravats are generally worn by the more flamboyant, artistic, guardian reading, red trousered types, quaffers of a good Shiraz.

Toffs, picture range rover, brogues and a 3 piece country cloth garmented gentlemen with a tie emblassened with a coat of arms, possibly relating back to his aristocracy or university/school. He's looking over the rims of his spectacles frantically checking the back pages of the times looking for the Middlesex scorecards, he also uses a fountain pen to do the telegraph crossword, tally ho!

No need to have "ok, so" in opening post.

We are a yoyo team between Championship and League one. Not glamourous at all. Don't see why we are more glamourous than Huddersfield.

I'd guess the conclusion would be drawn from our aesthetic draw as a city in comparison to Huddersfield, nothing to do with the teams.

I'd agree, Huddersfield are no less a team/club than us. Their stadia is both modern and unique, ours is in the process of being the same yet obviously bettter ;-)

We are a yoyo team between Championship and League one. Not glamourous at all. Don't see why we are more glamourous than Huddersfield.

It probably could have done with a little more punctuation but it was really just trying to change the topic from the Gas Mega thread and Joe Edwards which seems to be all anyone wants to talk about since the close season.

It was really a topic to gauge peoples opinions on where they think we sit, reading this forum sometimes you would think that all other clubs are ecstatic to play us whereas i think for 99% they probably think playing us in the cup is a rubbish draw.

It probably could have done with a little more punctuation but it was really just trying to change the topic from the Gas Mega thread and Joe Edwards which seems to be all anyone wants to talk about since the close season.

It was really a topic to gauge peoples opinions on where they think we sit, reading this forum sometimes you would think that all other clubs are ecstatic to play us whereas i think for 99% they probably think playing us in the cup is a rubbish draw.

Honestly can't see why a Bradford fan would think we are any more glamorous than Swindon, for example.

Honestly can't see why a Bradford fan would think we are any more glamorous than Swindon, for example.

That's why i was talking about a nondescript Non-League team. I guess the acid test criteria would be if said Non-League team had an unlimited capacity, which teams would draw the biggest home crowd along to watch.

Again its all just opinions, not something that could be proven either way.

It could be argued that Huddersfield, having won the league three years running, rank above us in those terms

I'd guess the conclusion would be drawn from our aesthetic draw as a city in comparison to Huddersfield, nothing to do with the teams.

I'd agree, Huddersfield are no less a team/club than us. Their stadia is both modern and unique, ours is in the process of being the same yet obviously bettter ;-)

And one should never forget that in the 1920's, under Herbert Chapman, Huddersfield Town won the First Division title, three years running. Yes they have never recreated that but it should put them higher up the ladder than City?

Chapman moved to manage Arsenal and repeated the three consecutive First Division titles in early 1930's.

And one should never forget that in the 1920's, under Herbert Chapman, Huddersfield Town won the First Division title, three years running. Yes they have never recreated that but it should put them higher up the ladder than City?

Chapman moved to manage Arsenal and repeated the three consecutive First Division titles in early 1930's.

Chapman didn't win all three titles with Huddersfield, he left before the third was won iirc. He also only won two titles with Arsenal, the second of them being the first of their three consecutive titles.

Chapman didn't win all three titles with Huddersfield, he left before the third was won iirc. He also only won two titles with Arsenal, the second of them being the first of their three consecutive titles.

Thanks for correcting my errors. I have just read his football history on Wikipedia and found it very interesting. A forward thinker indeed.

Thanks for correcting my errors. I have just read his football history on Wikipedia and found it very interesting. A forward thinker indeed.

Apologies, didn't mean to come over all headmasterish, I think I'm just a pedant for things like that :P

He certainly was a manager way ahead of his time.

Archived