IGNORED

Clubs That Are Bigger Than They Think That They Are.

ZiderEyed

Name the last time they done anything special, like big clubs should?

Leeds, about 12 years ago, but mortgaged themselves up to their eyeballs, now paying for it

Newcastle, should've won the league not so long back, ****** that up. Not won anything in my lifetime

West Ham, see above. Except they've never come close to winning the league. Won the FA Cup when I was 6 or 7

Yet all 3 seem to claim they are massive. Not for me. Newcastle getting 52,000 is an achievement, but we all remember them getting nowhere near that before Keegan

Were all well aware that these teams aren't winning things, the thread isn't about that.

I stand by what I said,Leeds and Newcastle are very big clubs with massive fan basis.

Portsmouth

I think they know their size.  In my lifetime they've been in the 4th tier on 2 occasions as well as winning the FA Cup and playing in europe.  There's little delusional about their support - they've been through the mill.

They are a decent sized club on a par with Southampton in terms of support.  Difference is they didn't get their new ground in the 90s and Southampton did.  They were also administered so badly they almost folded.  How many clubs can you think of that would average 15,000 in League 2?  Not so sure Southampton would.  

Cannot believe no one has yet said Wolves. The very definition of this question. Arrogant, big-headed, delusional, knuckle-dragging inbreds who project out a kind of self-awarded Liverpool/Celtic/Newcastle style "fabled" glow about themselves and their disease-ridden stadium but are irrelevant, f--king useless, and not even the biggest or most successful club in their own back yard. The media love in with their former owner as some kind of benevolent football-transforming benefactor (you funded a sh|t club to be a little less sh|t but largely continue to win **** all while you sat on your arse in Barbados) and their sh|tty lego stadium (wow you moved a stand closer to the pitch but unfortunately it's still in Wolverhampton and facing three other stands of daft sounding abuse-hurling vermin) and Steve Bull the long serving lower division international (what does that tell you that he is amazing or Wolves are sh|t and one man cannot change that and break the monotony of watching ten golden streaks of p|ss charging about the pitch achieving very little of national significance in what must be the United Kingdom's most dysfunctional, depressing, dislikeable town where however big they think their football club is, there must be a lot of empty space rattling around in those big heads of theirs because they all share the one brain cell between them). Ding ding ding we have a winner. Wolves. I'm going to go with Wolverhampton f--king Wanderers.

Most of this thread seems to highlight clubs that have had a period of doing quite well and have slipped a bit in the last 5 or more years, this doesn't make them bigger clubs than they think they are it just means they are currently lower than where they expect to be.

Liverpool, Leeds, Shef U all have a history of doing better than they are currently but don't have a divine right to do better.

Newcastle on the other hand think they are in the same bracket as Liverpool/Arsenal but apart from 1 season they have never even been close.

I'm sure in 10 years time we will all be saying how Swansea think they are a bigger club than they are when they are in the Championship or lower because they will still be talking about that period they spent in the Premier league, but there are other threads on here harking back to when we were 1 goal away from the premier league 7 years ago - does this make us tin pot?

I think they know their size. In my lifetime they've been in the 4th tier on 2 occasions as well as winning the FA Cup and playing in europe. There's little delusional about their support - they've been through the mill.

They are a decent sized club on a par with Southampton in terms of support. Difference is they didn't get their new ground in the 90s and Southampton did. They were also administered so badly they almost folded. How many clubs can you think of that would average 15,000 in League 2? Not so sure Southampton would.

Portsmouth is a larger city than Southampton.

A much uglier one too.

Southampton population: 260,000

Portsmouth population: 200,000

Hmm...

Portsmouth is a much bigger urban area.

See the 8th item on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

I don't know why someone would take it on themselves to argue about something that is self-evident to anyone who has lived in those cities.

Archived