IGNORED

Genuine Trivia Question.

marmite

• Admin

Does anyone know when, and why, flags were removed from the halfway line? ( I don't know the answer )

They were only ever optional, and they were only used as a visual marker for the referee and the linesman to determine offsides.

When pitches were muddier etc it was harder to see the halfway line, but now as standards are better you won't see them at top end matches as the pitch markings are clear enough.

Chances are you will still see them at lower league grounds for this reason though

As an aside, does anyone know when the flexible corner flags were introduced? They used to just be a rigid stick and it was much more fun when players collided with them.

Probably around the same time it also became fashionable for goal scorers to pull them out and start waving them around.

Now they have some kind of spring tensioned ball and socket joint at the base I believe, although never seen it up close.

Some years ago I saw Bobby Kellard do that - anybody remember him?

I remember Bobby Kellard. He was a good midfield player who unfortunately didn't stay with City for very long. Did he sign for Leicester?

I remember Bobby Kellard. He was a good midfield player who unfortunately didn't stay with City for very long. Did he sign for Leicester?

Yes, a good midfield player in the Johnny Quigley mould.

From memory, and I am sure some will dispute this, both were just a little bit 'harder' than our all-time favourite Gerry Gow, although I believe the latter was a better all round and more skilful player.

Yes, a good midfield player in the Johnny Quigley mould.

From memory, and I am sure some will dispute this, both were just a little bit 'harder' than our all-time favourite Gerry Gow, although I believe the latter was a better all round and more skilful player.

City had a period when we had a series of tough tackling and skilful midfield players. Quigley, Kellard & Gow (I can't remember the correct order). Quigley and Kellard were cheap and Gow was a youth team player. I can't imagine this happening now

City had a period when we had a series of tough tackling and skilful midfield players. Quigley, Kellard & Gow (I can't remember the correct order). Quigley and Kellard were cheap and Gow was a youth team player. I can't imagine this happening now

Quigley, mid-1960's; Kellard and then Gow.

All three were 'hard', and whilst I watched and admired all of them, Gerry Gow was my favourite as, taken by my father (Thanks Dad), I watched him several times playing for the youth team in the late 60's; a team that got to the semi-final (if I recall correctly) of the youth cup and lost to Tottenham (or was that the first team beaten over two legs with that Alan Gilzean header?). He was miles quicker (especially in his speed of thought) than his fellow youth players and, again if I recall correctly, first played for City when he was 17. 

Two interesting (for me) stories/recollections.

I recall Bobby Kellard getting a lot of stick from the opponents (forget who) at Ashton Gate one Saturday afternoon and, when the ball was kicked away prior to a free kick, he went magnanimously to retrieve it only to ignore the ball and pick up some grass before returning and presenting it to his opposing player: quite pathetic, but amusing at the time.

In the early 1980's I was working in the middle-east and Johnny Quigley was playing and coaching there (he must have been 50 at the time but was still fit and strong). We played in the same football team, although his appearances were somewhat sporadic due to his injuries and 'off-field habits'. We got talking one evening in a local 'bar', and I mentioned that I was a City fan and recalled him playing, he was one of my favourite players etc.

Unfortunately, I also mentioned that my actual, true favourite was Gerry Gow, and Quigley, holding me by the throat, said something to me in a broad Glaswegian accent along the lines that Gow was not fit to lace his boots etc. and if I even so much as mentioned his name again he would kill me (not literally, presumably, but the look in his eyes left me with a certain trepidation). 

Archived