IGNORED

The Master

Aizoon

I remember him playing albeit towards the end of his career when I was but a young lad. My mum did take me to meet him in the old Lewis' (note, not John Lewis) store in Broadmead where the great man was signing autographs. He signed my scrapbook (sadly, long since lost) and a photo was taken for the local newspaper which I never saw. I remember him as a very quiet, shy man but as my first footballing hero.

Saw him play in his last season. 1965-66. Previous season saw us get promotion so saw him then. Funny thing is I don't

remember Mike Thresher. Mind you 1964-65 was my first season watching City.

Count me in 1956 was my first season. Big John also taught at my school during his teacher training.

If you saw Mike Thresher you would not forget him. He only played a handful of games in his last season 64/65 as Alec Briggs moved to left back as Tony Ford made the right back position his own.

Count me in 1956 was my first season. Big John also taught at my school during his teacher training.

If you saw Mike Thresher you would not forget him. He only played a handful of games in his last season 64/65 as Alec Briggs moved to left back as Tony Ford made the right back position his own.

Well I do remember Alec Briggs and Tony Ford but so many people mention Mike Thresher and it does bug

me that I don't remember him.

I do remember though we didn't look like getting promotion 64 - 65 but had a very good run in to get promotion.

Looking at stats we had a run of 15 games starting on Feb 13th where we only lost one game from then to end of season.

That run beginning with a 2-1 win against....... guess who. :P

Did you go passed Atyeo Close? Where the great man was born!

No, he was born in the nearby village of Standerwick, Somerset where his Dad was a railway signalman. Thus he was qualified by birth to play cricket for Somerset in the days when birthplace was the only qualification. John did play for their second XI. He probably could have made it as a First Class cricketer but decided to concentrate on football.

His Dad then transferred to Dilton Marsh box. Big John's house is on the High Street alongside Atyeo Close, which was built on the Atyeo's apple orchard.

Well I do remember Alec Briggs and Tony Ford but so many people mention Mike Thresher and it does bug

I do remember though we didn't look like getting promotion 64 - 65 but had a very good run in to get promotion.

Looking at stats we had a run of 15 games starting on Feb 13th where we only lost one game from then to end of season.

Thresh tackled like a demon and had good pace and IMO is the best left back I have seen at City. Where he differed from modern left backs is that full backs rarely ventured past the half way line.

Alec Briggs started as a right back in the late fifties but when Thresh retired, he won his place and held it for several years.

The best right footed left back we have ever had. Hard as nails and a member of a defence that had six footers from numbers 2 to 6.

Tony Ford, Jack Connor, Gordon Low, Alec Briggs, Terry Bush or Gordon Parr. The "midget" in goal? Gibbo.

Also six footers up front with Brian Clark and Big John.

I do remember though we didn't look like getting promotion 64 - 65 but had a very good run in to get promotion.

And ending with a 2-0 win against Oldham. When Big John scored the second, it was the first time that season we were in a promotion position :)

And ending with a 2-0 win against Oldham. When Big John scored the second, it was the first time that season we were in a promotion position :)

I was a conductor on Bristol buses and that day was due to start late shift at about 3.30pm. But went to City and got back to Old Market at 5.15 to start work.

Apologies to the people of Warmley through to Southmead for the missing bus!

Thresh tackled like a demon and had good pace and IMO is the best left back I have seen at City. Where he differed from modern left backs is that full backs rarely ventured past the half way line.

Alec Briggs started as a right back in the late fifties but when Thresh retired, he won his place and held it for several years.

The best right footed left back we have ever had. Hard as nails and a member of a defence that had six footers from numbers 2 to 6.

Tony Ford, Jack Connor, Gordon Low, Alec Briggs, Terry Bush or Gordon Parr. The "midget" in goal? Gibbo.

Also six footers up front with Brian Clark and Big John.

Yes how could I ever forget that lot. It then all started to go wrong for Fred Ford and he got the sack.

Alan Dicks took over and well all us oldies know what happened next. Big John had retired and Brian Clark left for

Huddersfield and then had a good spell at Cardiff, Dicks saved us from relegation. Great few years followed.

Saw him play in his last season. 1965-66. Previous season saw us get promotion so saw him then. Funny thing is I don't

remember Mike Thresher. Mind you 1964-65 was my first season watching City.

Clutching at straws, but....

My first game was also the 1965/66 season; indeed, the first home game of that season, a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon when City played Bolton (with their England goalkeeper Eddie Hopkinson) and won 1-0. I still remember it clearly, standing on the white dwarf wall and holding on to the railings in what was then the Open End.  

Except, apparently, my memory is playing tricks.

50 years on I still retain the picture of Bolton, obviously in their white shirts and black shorts, and EH in his green shirt, and the wonderful day I had thanks to my father and uncle.

But, and this is where things become confusing, the records state otherwise! 

I have mentioned this before on another thread and been directed to various sites, but none confirms my memory.

Does anybody recall that game?

Archived