IGNORED

Be Careful What You Say....

He wouldn't score as many pro rata, obviously, but he might well get 13-15 over the season which many would see as enough.

Providing Agard, or ANO got 30 of course.

Style of play, as well as potentially upsetting squad harmony with the wages we'd have to cover if we pushed the boat out to secure his signature, arer other points to bear in mind with MS.

Style of play would be my main concern if we signed Smith. Our whole team has been very productive because we have been so mobile, the forwards didn't allow the opposition to rest, meaning that there were frequently hurried clearances allowing us to get extra challenges in and gain possession. During the latter stages of his spell here, we were coming under more and more pressure, with the opposition having better possession. Another thing I noticed was when we did have possession, our wing backs and midfield were forced to hold onto the ball rather than feeding the runners, this often resulted in us either going backwards and lumping the ball, or losing possession. I know a lot of the time he was partnering Jet, who also didn't cover as much ground, which compounded the problem of closing the opposition down. So I'd plump for another mobile striker who can do his bit all over the pitch.  

Style of play would be my main concern if we signed Smith. Our whole team has been very productive because we have been so mobile, the forwards didn't allow the opposition to rest, meaning that there were frequently hurried clearances allowing us to get extra challenges in and gain possession. During the latter stages of his spell here, we were coming under more and more pressure, with the opposition having better possession. Another thing I noticed was when we did have possession, our wing backs and midfield were forced to hold onto the ball rather than feeding the runners, this often resulted in us either going backwards and lumping the ball, or losing possession. I know a lot of the time he was partnering Jet, who also didn't cover as much ground, which compounded the problem of closing the opposition down. So I'd plump for another mobile striker who can do his bit all over the pitch.  

There is something in what you say, however its about having different types of player to break down different types of team.

I think he will bring in a hard running forward like you suggest, however I don't see Wilbo making a full season and that leaves a hole for someone who gets on the end of the supply and creating uncertainty and second ball...I would say Smith but hey I am advised SC will work it out somehow....Wes to make a mark this season anyone?

i think we need to pick up where we left off with wilbs and agard starting with a 3rd Jet like player coming on later to either see a game out or create something special. the style and confidence in the current squad should be enough of a springboard to see us through long enough for cotts to work out exactly what he needs. no point in wasting wages/fees early strengthening areas we might not need to. the small squad in my opinion was a huge part of last seasons success

There is something in what you say, however its about having different types of player to break down different types of team.

I think he will bring in a hard running forward like you suggest, however I don't see Wilbo making a full season and that leaves a hole for someone who gets on the end of the supply and creating uncertainty and second ball...I would say Smith but hey I am advised SC will work it out somehow....Wes to make a mark this season anyone?

We can't second guess Cotts. Smith may be our top target or the manager might have ruled him out completely long ago.

On the one hand he invited Matt Smith to spend the day with the squad at the JPT final, has gone out of his way to say how well he fitted in, and has given every indication he would like to sign him permanently.

On the other, previous experience tells us this might mean absolutely nothing - remember all the loan players who helped to keep us up and only Wade was signed permanently. 

It may just be that Smith suited his 3rd division team perfectly for that period but he's not the player who will suit the style he intends to employ in his Championship team. He may already be aware that Smith's wages are either beyond us, or, if met, could prove divisive to squad harmony.

It could also be that Fulham will now keep him or that his exploits with us will have attracted a number of suitors willing to pay more than City both in wages and fee.

My impression is the majority of our signings for next season were sorted out some time ago, just waiting to be officially announced, in which case Smith will not (yet) be one of them - too many complications for an early decision. I could be completely wrong though and Smith may be THE one above all others that Cotts. has set his heart on, and if MS feels the same way about City, perhaps a deal has been arranged for some time and we are indeed going to push the boat out for him.

As for Burns, I'm a fan. He came on as a sub. relatively early in the last game and I reckon he'll feature regularly from the bench next season. I don't see him going out on a long loan, it's a big season for him, Cotts. has always said he rates him, and I'd expect him to increasingly make his mark as the season unfolds. I hope so anyway, he impressed in the Championship last time we were there.

Put it this way, if we were to sign a 20 year old winger/striker with 11 u.21 caps from a PL club on loan for the season I'd suggest we'd all be reasonably satisfied with the prospect.

We obviously need a variety of styles, or better still, players that can play a variety of styles. With a player like Smith it is limited, that's not to say I don't like the man, I just think we need a different type. Where as Wilbs is comfortable chasing down or with intricate close play as well. Another Wilbraham type and another like that annoying little shyte who's name I can't remember but always seems to score against us and wind our fans up, would do. 

messi is overrated don't you know,how would he like it on a winters Night playing in Oxford,George best done it by all accounts so we are told by the experts

My point exactly, all English managers know you can't rely on johnny foreigner to put a shift in when the chips are down in front of a 8k gate!  :whistle:

Archived