IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

Not having a go specifically as Glos because plenty of pitches like this each year but yeah how are they any better than a pitch that gives you a result in 2 days etc? 

Probably harder to prove that a pitch is a road than the other end of the spectrum. I’m particularly taken aback because we seemed to have batted well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Not having a go specifically as Glos because plenty of pitches like this each year but yeah how are they any better than a pitch that gives you a result in 2 days etc? 

The ball did plenty on day one under cloud cover and if we didn’t spill five catches, we’d have probably bowled Surrey out for around 300. We didn’t and they made 600.

When the clouds disappear so does the seam movement, and that’s where having a quality spinner (Zafar’s omission was odd) would come into its own. We left out Zafar, Surrey left out Virdi. 

It’s also worth mentioning that this track is one of the three international tracks at Bristol and they all are pretty flat. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TomF said:

I guess that backs up what Fordy says in sense it’s much harder to decide a flat pitch.   I guess I’m just more of the argument that two day result pitches shouldn’t be penalised as frequently as they are.. we need a complete mixture 

I agree, batsmen and bowlers need all types of pitch to learn. I think punishment should only be applied if the pitch is dangerous.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tin said:

Is it too early to say Glos are staring down the barrel at Hants?

No Dent, no Payne, lost the toss and bowling on another road. 

Pretty good fight back really, kept the run rate down and taking 4 wickets in the last 15 overs, 

Just watching the stream of the last few overs and wondering if they have a problem with their cameras or whether the Ageas bowl is on a slope? 

Edited by Port Said Red

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Pretty good fight back really, kept the run rate down and taking 4 wickets in the last 15 overs, 

Just watching the stream of the last few overs and wondering if they have a problem with their cameras or whether the Ageas bowl is on a slope? 

Yeah, we’ve definitely hung in there today. Our batting lineup, however, looks very weak with a very long tail. 

What do you reckon? Harris, Bracey, Lace, Hammond, Van Burren, Higgins, Scott, tail?

Edited by tin

9 minutes ago, tin said:

Yeah, we’ve definitely hung in there today. Our batting lineup, however, looks very weak with a very long tail. 

What do you reckon? Harris, Bracey, Lace, Hammond, Van Burren, Higgins, Scott, tail?

I've no idea to be honest, I hope Warner bats better than he bowls, I have seen better club bowlers to be honest. 

*edit* Well done Miles, nice way to finish the day.

*double edit* well I thought that was the last ball of the day, Van Buuren gets another. :) Great session that.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Flames 2

52 minutes ago, TomF said:

Decent fightback from Glos, just need that last bonus point/wicket.

Mohammed Abbas has just bowled an amazing over. Got Scott caught behind with a beauty, then Bracey was dropped, beaten all ends up and caught behind for 0 in three balls.

8 hours ago, Super said:

Glos struggling.

7 hours ago, tin said:

No surprise when we’ve got eight out injured. I’m not convinced on either the captain or coach, either. 

A strange game, the only thing putting Hampshire ahead is yesterdays afternoon session when the sun came out and the batting suddenly got easier. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Blimey! Stokes smashed Worcester all over the shop today, plundering 34 from one over to go to his ton. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/61358196

look four posts up. :)

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone else heading down to day two of Glos v Somerset this Friday?  Pizza in The Sportsman for lunch and BYO booze ? 

Tempted, I will see what it looks like for other commitments. :)

Hampshire 73-7 Glos could be chasing under 250 if they keep this up. Unlikely I know but Abbas limped off after getting out LBW as nightwatchman so potentially may not be able to bowl.