IGNORED

Bbc Three Now

Portland Bill

Thought I was quite an interesting program. Some of the people you felt sorry for genuinely not having any choice but others less so. Crazy some of the places they sleep.

I recorded this and will watch it.

I regularly see a homeless man who has a tent at the bottom of the slip road of the M32 if you're getting off to go to Tesco.  Harder to see him in the summer months when the trees and bushes grow, but he's usually always there.

I worked in this field (although not directly with the homeless) which doesn't make me the expert but I could see one big problem. 

People become street homeless for various reasons; it genuinely can be anybody.  I'm not preachy on this but there were several educated, professional people who circumstances, usually combined with a drink problem, had ruined.

When you are street homeless if you agree to follow the rules there will be a hostel place for you, some of these are even "wet houses" - you can still drink.

The hostel aims to get you back on your feet so sorts you out with benefits, will try to get you into a bedsit and into a job (what we did).

However once you have a job you get your benefits massively cut (the benefits trap), you will struggle to afford the rent on your bedsit with the low wage you are earning and in many cases find yourself back on the streets.

And so you come back to us, hope quashed.

I only know (of) one person who genuinely liked living on the streets.  Friend's brother who liked a drink, liked a fight, liked a shag, and was happy to rob.  Lived on the streets around Piccadilly and was happy as Larry.  99% of them however want a roof over their heads.

The London "base" of Robbo Enterprise is in Marylebone, and when you work in central London it's hard to avoid falling over the homeless on the streets.

There's a historic church - St Marylebone - just around the corner, final resting place to Samuel Wesley and many more worthies - that now has its steps and former graveyard wall-to-wall with jakies.

I've stopped to chat with a number of them over the months I've been there and I have to say to a man/woman they've been mad, hopeless pissheads or both.

I don't think there are enough of these "wet hostels" of which, Ed speaks in London. And it also clearly demonstrates yet again the failure of "care in the community".

Archived