IGNORED

England U21's

I see the final 23 have been confirmed but seems very strange to me...

Eric Dier, a regular for Spurs this season, has been dropped in favour of Ben Gibson who has spent the season playing in the championship and Michael Keane who has hardly featured for Burnley.

Such a fuss is made about our youngsters playing in this tournament for their progression, yet one of our most promising defenders doesn't even get a look in!

I think you do the Championship a bit of a disservice. Yes it's not the Premier League buts it's a very tough league, arguably the toughest 'second division' and I would wager possibly a higher standard than the top league in many nations.

As for Dier, who knows what happened during preparations? I agree I would have expected him to feature: big call from Southgate but actually I find that quite refreshing.

Have I spent the whole season under the impression that Eric Dier was German? Mental. Wonder where I got that from.

You'll be rather surprised to hear that he's actually from Cheltenham Fordy. Now ain't that mental.

Dier will probably opt for Portugal and play against England instead.

Nope, well quoted in Portugal media for years from the minute he's been anywhere near top flight football and always said he's English. He went to the same school in Portugal that I went to before I came to Bristol (and where both my parents were teachers) which taught in both Portuguese and English. As Harry says, family is from Cheltenham.

Dier is not that highly rated. Moore is meant to be ten times better. However stones and Callum chambers will be the future for England. Stones and Cahill for years to come, with chambers as back up.

Been very impressed with Stones the last two seasons. In the next few years can see him being our first choice centre back. Not convinced fully by Chambers yet but the potential is there.

Dier is not that highly rated. Moore is meant to be ten times better. However stones and Callum chambers will be the future for England. Stones and Cahill for years to come, with chambers as back up.

He played 28 games for Spurs in the league and started the league cup final I think they must rate him quite highly after all they paid 4 million quid for him

He played 28 games for Spurs in the league and started the league cup final I think they must rate him quite highly after all they paid 4 million quid for him

Don't rate Dier on what I've seen so far, been part of a very unconvincing Spurs defence. Though he might improve with better players alongside him. 

Big fan of Stones though, quality footballer.

Bavarian Cheltenham I believe.

That'll be Bayern 'Nam then.

Which brings me on to why do we say "Bayern Munich" in English?

Bayern = Bavaria in German

Munich = Munchen (sorry no umlaut on my keyboard) in English

It should be "Bayern Munchen", or "Bavaria Munich". Not a mix of both.

Probably for the same reason we say Inter Milan.

(And Italian papers refer to "Londra Arsenal" etc...)

Are bayern Munich not sponsored by a company called bayern, therefore added it to there name

Archived