IGNORED

Fifa Bunged The Irish A Few Euros To Forget About The Henry Handball

Is it just me that thinks it's a bit hypocritical that they are coming out know to try and twist the knife in to FIFA more without taking any responsibility for taking the money in the first place? Morals seem to be lost on the FAI.

Agreed.

The FAI probably thought we'd no chance of winning a court case anyway. It depends whether the money was a bung or an out of court settlement. I find it quite weird as I can't see how we'd have won any such case anyway. Sure it was a horrible decision but referees make mistakes and it's hardly the first time a smaller team has been totally shafted.

Very strange.

Is there anything wrong with this? Is it not more an out of court settlement as opposed to a bung/bribe?

My thoughts exactly. Plus the chaos a court decision in favour of Ireland could of caused to, not only that world cup, but every tournament since isnt worth contemplating. Imagine every wrong decision beimg challenged.... they would spend longer in court than playing the game!

At the time -

"The suggestion is that Ireland were robbed and deserve a replay?"

Roy Keane - "Who said that? John Delaney? I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that man says. He's a disgrace."

"You don't think they have a point?"

Keane "no I don't. Earlier in the campaign away from home we got a penalty in one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Don't remember Delaney or the FAI offering up a replay for that game. What goes around comes around."

The other possibility is that something dodgy was going on and FIFA paid the FAI to go away so that nobody would do any digging.

It's just very strange that they paid out.

I don't really think there's much odd to it. Even if it went to court and even if FIFA thought they could win that doesn't automatically mean they'd get their costs back.

If anything could be a goodwill gesture. 'We acknowledge you were hard done by, we don't think we are liable but we'd rather make this good'.

Of course it could be more sinister, but i think this reflects more on the FIA than FIFA. What I particularly don't like is this is fuel for suggestions of a vendetta rather than pursuit of justice. Should've kept shut in my opinion.

FIFA now saying it was a loan :facepalm: :facepalm:

I agree with others.. I'm sure there is going to be an allegation from FIFA, Warner et co that the English FA played along to the money tune for 2018 bid at some point.

FIFA now saying it was a loan :facepalm: :facepalm:

I agree with others.. I'm sure there is going to be an allegation from FIFA, Warner et co that the English FA played along to the money tune for 2018 bid at some point.

Memory could be failing but I thought that already happened when the British press were gunning for FIFA. Not reddies but weren't there 'excessive' gifts to Concacaf reps? Handbags (apt) seems to ring a bell.

Edit

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/nov/04/england-2018-world-cup-bid-fa Yep seems so - except within monetary limits for gifts. Well if that's the best Warner could come up with I reckon it probable the worst is out there.

Memory could be failing but I thought that already happened when the British press were gunning for FIFA. Not reddies but weren't there 'excessive' gifts to Concacaf reps? Handbags (apt) seems to ring a bell.

Edit

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/nov/04/england-2018-world-cup-bid-fa Yep seems so - except within monetary limits for gifts. Well if that's the best Warner could come up with I reckon it probable the worst is out there.

No you are correct and was it watches.?

I don't really think there's much odd to it. Even if it went to court and even if FIFA thought they could win that doesn't automatically mean they'd get their costs back.

If anything could be a goodwill gesture. 'We acknowledge you were hard done by, we don't think we are liable but we'd rather make this good'.

Of course it could be more sinister, but i think this reflects more on the FIA than FIFA. What I particularly don't like is this is fuel for suggestions of a vendetta rather than pursuit of justice. Should've kept shut in my opinion.

It is odd that the FAI have brought it up. As you say, it implicates them too if there was anything dodgy in it. 5 million Euro is a lot to shell out when, in my opinion, we had no case against FIFA. If FIFA gave every team with a grievance that much to go away it'd be crazy. Or maybe they do...

At the time -

"The suggestion is that Ireland were robbed and deserve a replay?"

Roy Keane - "Who said that? John Delaney? I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that man says. He's a disgrace."

"You don't think they have a point?"

Keane "no I don't. Earlier in the campaign away from home we got a penalty in one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Don't remember Delaney or the FAI offering up a replay for that game. What goes around comes around."

I was in Ireland that week (had gone to the 1st leg at Croke Park):  if I recall the sentiment from Keane was that it was piss-poor defending to allow the ball to bounce in the box and then give Henry time to handball.  From what I remember he thought Ireland were architects of their own demise.

Nothing much odd to it ? - in my opinion it stinks to high heaven .

How often does a team lose out to a debatable decision - England Germany in South Africa the ball was nearly 18 inches over the line- the first thought was not to consider legal action . It seems to set a precedent and perhaps open floodgates for litigation every time a team loses out because of a poor referee .

FIFA should have just said this all part and parcel of the game;sue us if you want rather than make some secretive payment open to interpretation. Goodwill gesture - hush money etc.

The Irish FA haven't exactly come out of this smelling of roses

Nothing much odd to it ? - in my opinion it stinks to high heaven .

How often does a team lose out to a debatable decision - England Germany in South Africa the ball was nearly 18 inches over the line- the first thought was not to consider legal action . It seems to set a precedent and perhaps open floodgates for litigation every time a team loses out because of a poor referee .

FIFA should have just said this all part and parcel of the game;sue us if you want rather than make some secretive payment open to interpretation. Goodwill gesture - hush money etc.

The Irish FA haven't exactly come out of this smelling of roses

My guess and maybe there will be more from the FIA under media questioning is that FIFA offered the cash but in return for the FIA keeping quiet about the payment. I suppose that is self evident. 

The FIA feel emboldened to come out now or just feel they do not want to be besmirched like the S.African FA as I said in another thread. 

Had FIFA been an upstanding honest organisation they would have gone public, as a matter of course, with such an offer by saying that they have offered the FIA an ex gratia payment as a token of good will for their loss at not qualifying for the World Cup. That remark is tempered by my lack of knowledge as to whether FIFA had the power to organise a re-match; after all they do not make the rules per se' , we must remember that.

The offer of cash is perfectly OK under that premise as long as it is made public; by both parties keeping silent it will obviously be seen as a cover up and denying the Irish nation of their rights.

Archived