IGNORED

Are There Are Bcfc Films?

189thoughts

Hey, I'm a new user here. Was just wondering if there were any documentaries or films about Bristol City that had been made either by the club or by fans over the years? Was trying to find something on Youtube today and there doesn't seem to be much apart from one about promotion in 1976. Was just wondering if anyone could remember something elsewhere.

Saw this topic and immediately thought of a documentary I believed on our 100 year anniversary which included contributions from roger Malone and was presented by tony Robinson? Couldn't remember what year this was so checked when we were founded in wiki only to see they have as down as founded in 1982...I thought we were founded in 1897 but the fact wiki says 1982 has infuriated me...

Any way the tony Robinson presented documentary is actually a great documentary...Scott Davidson was Interviewed as chairman on this programme so think I'm right and that we were founded in 1897

Saw this topic and immediately thought of a documentary I believed on our 100 year anniversary which included contributions from roger Malone and was presented by tony Robinson? Couldn't remember what year this was so checked when we were founded in wiki only to see they have as down as founded in 1982...I thought we were founded in 1897 but the fact wiki says 1982 has infuriated me...

Ha, so some Gashead has been busy editing Wikipedia again, such a funny little club.

Any way the tony Robinson presented documentary is actually a great documentary...Scott Davidson was Interviewed as chairman on this programme so think I'm right and that we were founded in 1897

We were founded in 1894 as Bristol South End. If you follow the 'female' line of the club, in other words Bedminster who lost their name in the marriage with Bristol City in 1900 (although most of the following season's squad were Bedminster players and Bedminster's ground was Ashton Gate) then we were formed in 1887 as Southville who changed their name to Bedminster in 1890. Southville's first match, off the top of my head, was against Criterion in 1887.

1897 simply refers to when Bristol South End turned professional and swapped the Western League for the professional Southern League and changed their name to Bristol City. This was seized upon as a marketing opportunity in 1997 to celebrate 100 years as the then directors hadn't been in situ to celebrate the proper 100 years in 1994 or 1987 for that matter. Thus the myth was propagated

We were founded in 1894 as Bristol South End. If you follow the 'female' line of the club, in other words Bedminster who lost their name in the marriage with Bristol City in 1900 (although most of the following season's squad were Bedminster players and Bedminster's ground was Ashton Gate) then we were formed in 1887 as Southville who changed their name to Bedminster in 1890. Southville's first match, off the top of my head, was against Criterion in 1887.

1897 simply refers to when Bristol South End turned professional and swapped the Western League for the professional Southern League and changed their name to Bristol City. This was seized upon as a marketing opportunity in 1997 to celebrate 100 years as the then directors hadn't been in situ to celebrate the proper 100 years in 1994 or 1987 for that matter. Thus the myth was propagated

Cheers mate...thought I was right kind of...could have checked all this upstairs as have the bristol babe book written by David woods which I think also coincided with 1997

No probs. Actually, the Bristol Babe book was published in 1994 to coincide with the 100 years from 1894. I am a mate of David Woods and have assisted him, at times, with his research into Bristol City. He is equally cheesed off with this 1897 nonsense and thinks it is typical that where as every other club in the league are proud of how old they are, we are the only club that seeks to rewrite our history and proclaim that we are younger than we actually are, even including this misrepresentation on our club badge!!! 

Does anyone remember Flashback for the Fans on TV in the mid to late 1980s? It was presented by Roger Malone and had an annoyingly catchy theme tune. I remember episodes with Terry Cooper and Norman Hunter talking about their careers and also (I think) one with Alan Dicks that showed some black and white City footage from the late 60s. I've never been able to find it on YouTube, though.

Archived