IGNORED

Defending From Dead Ball Kicks

Aizoon

Horace is back from looking after my niece in Southmead Hospital and he asks a question that hadn't occurred to me.

What happened to our dreadful defending of dead ball kicks that's been a nightmare for the last few years? It seems to me that we had it sorted this season. Is it down to Flint? To Cotterill?

Does anyone have any stats to prove or disprove this?

Something that has been worked on. A simple case of getting to first and second balls has made us effective. Helps that we have big man Flint to every first ball as well. Big attitude change also. We have a team of winners who are determined to fight for each other

Something that has been worked on. A simple case of getting to first and second balls has made us effective. Helps that we have big man Flint to every first ball as well. Big attitude change also. We have a team of winners who are determined to fight for each other

That's certainly how I (and Horace) see it. I'd like to see some stats to confirm it though. Or are all the stattos out there counting swallows to be sure it's summer?

From a players perspective, confidence plays a huge part. Our team, and particularly our defenders, were completely shot of confidence under SOD and the previous couple of years.

A lack of leadership at the back as well, our most experienced defender Fontaine was the most lacking in confidence and i think that affected the whole back line - no one wanted to take responsibility.

• Admin

I wasn't a huge fan of Frank's enthusiasm to punch in the 1st half of the season but around the half way point he started judging better times he could catch instead. Regardless, "getting rid of it" from the danger area should not be underestimated. I think the new goalie coach deserves a lot of credit for FF's massive improvement this season.

It really has been a pleasure to be positive about our dead ball's and unconcerned about the oppositions for once. Flint of course instrumental in both, the quality of delivery has also been at a different level. Happy days.

I wasn't a huge fan of Frank's enthusiasm to punch in the 1st half of the season but around the half way point he started judging better times he could catch instead. Regardless, "getting rid of it" from the danger area should not be underestimated. I think the new goalie coach deserves a lot of credit for FF's massive improvement this season.

i also think FFs confidence grew with the rest of the team plus keeping clean sheets was almost certainly going to win us another  game making him try that extra half pound harder. the confidence thing i think is the biggest though as i cant see a keeper going from rubbish to really good in one season just with training.must half been decent to  start with. take gerken for example,he wasnt bad,but never got any better,now look at him.nearly got to the prem this season

The more continental style of goalkeeping where you only try to catch balls that you will catch every time and punch and parry the rest is growing in British keepers which I think is good. Get the ball away from the danger area and regroup, don't risk dropping it in the 6 yard box.

• Admin

i also think FFs confidence grew with the rest of the team plus keeping clean sheets was almost certainly going to win us another game making him try that extra half pound harder. the confidence thing i think is the biggest though as i cant see a keeper going from rubbish to really good in one season just with training.must half been decent to start with. take gerken for example,he wasnt bad,but never got any better,now look at him.nearly got to the prem this season

I think with Frank all the basics were there, where he seems to have improved is situational judgements and no doubt confidence gained from making the right decisions as the season wore on will have influenced his ability to make good decisions at the end.

However they achieved it, he seems like a really good lad & it benefitted City so I'm made up that he did improve from a bit of a villain to L1's outstanding goalkeeper.

Archived