IGNORED

Safe Standing At Celtic (Merged)

Red Ferret

....at Celtic

http://www.celticfc.net/news/8420

A taste of things to come in England?

Great news, and you would have to think it is only a matter of time until it is elsewhere in the UK. With the Welsh Conservatives also strongly supporting safe standing, could there be next?

Would it be too much to hope that Bristol City get safe standing in time for the start of the 2016/2017 season?

I do wonder on what basis/powers they were granted permission to install rail seats. I had simply assumed that all seater stadia were a requirement (with exception) under a UK Act of Parliament. Either that's not the case or this is a devolved power - which seems strange, albeit possible.

Makes you wonder who (if anyone) has the power to grant permission this side of the border and whether their refusal could be challenged by our favourite mechanism - Judicial Review.

I do wonder on what basis/powers they were granted permission to install rail seats. I had simply assumed that all seater stadia were a requirement (with exception) under a UK Act of Parliament. Either that's not the case or this is a devolved power - which seems strange, albeit possible.

Makes you wonder who (if anyone) has the power to grant permission this side of the border and whether their refusal could be challenged by our favourite mechanism - Judicial Review.

Sitting at games was made law in England, but not in Scotland it was the clubs choice to introduce it

just seen Sky Sports News, Celtic are putting 2000 odd rail seats in for start of 16/17 season. The guy reiterated this won't increase capacity as its one rail seat per one current seat, it just gives the club the option to have the seat up or down, therefore there wouldn't be loads of people cramming into a terrace. Hopefully this will be the start of safe standing areas including at Ashton Gate. Lansdown said that they would put this in once it's legal so I'm sure he will be good to his word!

• Admin

Let's hope so, i think the rail seats would be excellent for the atmosphere down Ashton gate, and let's not forget, they were originally going to be put in at the front of the dolman stand as well. Fingers crossed.

Not going to happen there anymore as the section has already been sold to people as seats

Sitting at games was made law in England, but not in Scotland it was the clubs choice to introduce it

This is quite a common misconception. There is no central law or regulation that enforces 'sitting'. The regulations are that all seater accommodation must be provided. There is no mention that the spectators must remain seated. The issue then boils down to the relationship between the clubs and the local authorities who issue the safety certificates. This is how some clubs are able to take a pragmatic approach to standing in specific areas.

The grey area comes is wether rail seats are classed as seated accommodation. If a local authority agrees they are seats then there would be no change in regulations necessary.

Also, as far as I am aware the Safety in Sports Ground Act covers the whole of the UK.

This is quite a common misconception. There is no central law or regulation that enforces 'sitting'. The regulations are that all seater accommodation must be provided. There is no mention that the spectators must remain seated. The issue then boils down to the relationship between the clubs and the local authorities who issue the safety certificates. This is how some clubs are able to take a pragmatic approach to standing in specific areas.

The grey area comes is wether rail seats are classed as seated accommodation. If a local authority agrees they are seats then there would be no change in regulations necessary.

Also, as far as I am aware the Safety in Sports Ground Act covers the whole of the UK.

not according to the Scots.

not according to the Scots.

Just realised I got my Acts wrong.

Scotland do fall under the Safety at Sports Ground Act, which requires all grounds to obtain safety certificates from the local authority.

It appears that the Football Spectators Act only covers England and Wales. This does, as you say, give Scottish authorities more scope for implementation.

But it is important to remember standing at football is not illegal. So if rail seats get recognised/approved as seats, there would need to be no change in legislation, just a change in attitude from the authorities.

No doubt though any implementation by Celtic would put pressure on English clubs to follow suit.

We need Blagdon Red to pop in as he is the resident expert

Listening to Talk sport there is still a lot of misconceptions, like there could increase capacity, all you doing is replacing one seat for a rail seat.

Not sure why we didn't go head and install safe standing, you are able to to lock the seat down for football and lock them up for standing at Rugby. And when legislation is changed we will be ahead of the curve and leading the way in safe standing.

According to the sports minister the Scottish clubs voted for all seated stadium,a law was never passed which makes Celtics decision a lot simpler

See my above posts...... Getting my acts confused!

Listening to Talk sport there is still a lot of misconceptions, like there could increase capacity, all you doing is replacing one seat for a rail seat.

Not sure why we didn't go head and install safe standing, you are able to to lock the seat down for football and lock them up for standing at Rugby. And when legislation is changed we will be ahead of the curve and leading the way in safe standing.

Because rail seats aren't considered seated accommodation, so the club would risk having x thousand rail seats that could not be used during football games.

Because rail seats aren't considered seated accommodation, so the club would risk having x thousand rail seats that could not be used during football games.

How do the Germans get away with it in European matches? Surley if the seat is in the lock down position its a seat.

How do the Germans get away with it in European matches? Surley if the seat is in the lock down position its a seat.

Because they have common sense. It's only the UK Government that won't classify it as a seat. UEFA accept them as seats when they are in the lock down position. Just shows how ludicrous UK authorities are!

I would love to see a club take it to the European Courts.

Unfortunately the court just interprets and applies the laws of the land. If this is going to change it will need to be a parliamentary initiative.

Think this is when the FA need to adopt a position and come out publicly either in favour or against.

Archived