IGNORED

Sir Lenny Henry

handsofclay

Great to see the tireless work of this individual finally rewarded with a well deserved knighthood. Without his efforts on behalf of comedy our world would be a sadder place. He is so good at what he does for down at heel comedians that I swear that by comparison he makes Sid Little seem funny. Now that is a special talent and fully deserving of reward.

Great to see the tireless work of this individual finally rewarded with a well deserved knighthood. Without his efforts on behalf of comedy our world would be a sadder place. He is so good at what he does for down at heel comedians that I swear that by comparison he makes Sid Little seem funny. Now that is a special talent and fully deserving of reward.

I thought it was services to Premier Inns?

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't find him funny. Acting wise ok, just not funny.

He was quite funny when he won New Faces in the mid 1970s and then appeared on Tiswas as Trevor McDonut and that naturalist bloke with the beard. But then he grew up and became incredibly unfunny and has exploited his reputation for being slightly funny in the 1970s to gain some sort of kudos ever since. I often think that instead of promoting premier inns as a place to get a good night's sleep he should do his act instead and everyone would be inflicted with the need to sleep regardless of where they were situated.

I presume the Knighthood is more for his charity work than his 'comedy'?

I would hope so anyway, he's made a massive difference to a lot of people

I don't remember the last time he made me laugh though.....

I would presume so and I certainly have no qualms about him getting it for that, he's down an outstnading amount of work. I guess I was just going slightly off topic from the OP

You are both correct. I was having a dig. As you figured out I was suggesting he must've got the knighthood for services to the likes of Sid Little, for making him funny by comparison...which takes some doing!

Sorry totally went over me :D

Tbf to Sir Leonard, he does seem a good sort and, like myself, knuckled down and got a degree from the OU. However, the problem with some comedians is that when they become more educated they begin to analyze what makes them funny and analyze so thoroughly that what they produce is totally devoid of any humour. It happened to Tony Hancock who was very funny until he started to read philosophy and gradually dispensed with all the factors that had brought him fame and recognition. I also believe there is an element in the clown seeking acceptance for more than making people laugh. It's almost as if they feel the ability to make people laugh isn't something to crow about when in my book I think it is a greater talent than being able to perform Othello at the RSC to the approval of the critics.

To illustrate this and to use Tony Hancock, he was fond of a story he related whenever the opportune moment arose. It was this:

A man went to a psychiatrist and said that he was very depressed and listless. The psychiatrist said that that was no problem to cure as whenever any patients told him they were suffering thus he simply told them to buy tickets to see the great comedian Groc. The blues were then lifted in no time.

The man looked forlornly at the psychiatrist and said, 'But, I am Groc!'

Tbf to Sir Leonard, he does seem a good sort and, like myself, knuckled down and got a degree from the OU. However, the problem with some comedians is that when they become more educated they begin to analyze what makes them funny and analyze so thoroughly that what they produce is totally devoid of any humour. It happened to Tony Hancock who was very funny until he started to read philosophy and gradually dispensed with all the factors that had brought him fame and recognition. I also believe there is an element in the clown seeking acceptance for more than making people laugh. It's almost as if they feel the ability to make people laugh isn't something to crow about when in my book I think it is a greater talent than being able to perform Othello at the RSC to the approval of the critics.

Point of information: he is Sir Lenworth not Sir Leonard.

I saw him perform at Clarkson Social Club on Shepton Mallet in 1980.

He seemed quite funny, but as he was supporting the Wheeltappers & Shunters Club cabaret, he had little competition.

Archived