IGNORED

Mcinnes.........

Roger Red Hat

A good fit for Aberdeen in the same way that Cotterill is a good fit for us.

Lots of anti-McInnes comments in the other thread; personally I think it's fairer to judge a manager on his overall record rather than just his time with us - he's enjoyed some success before and after his time here, so clearly he has some managerial ability.

Lots of anti-McInnes comments in the other thread; personally I think it's fairer to judge a manager on his overall record rather than just his time with us - he's enjoyed some success before and after his time here, so clearly he has some managerial ability.

The SPL is equivalent to L2 quality, he's yet to really prove himself. I liked Del, he had potential and caved under the pressure. It'll be interesting to see how he'd get on if he were ever to return to managing in England.

Does that mean we have to judge that ***t Pulis on what he has done at Stoke, CP and WBA ? :-(

The SPL is equivalent to L2 quality, he's yet to really prove himself. I liked Del, he had potential and caved under the pressure. It'll be interesting to see how he'd get on if he were ever to return to managing in England.

Not sure I agree with you fella, I've watched loads of SPL games since the '80s, have seen some cracking games and great players. Easily better than league two standard in England

Not sure I agree with you fella, I've watched loads of SPL games since the '80s, have seen some cracking games and great players. Easily better than league two standard in England

Not ten years ago, but definitely in recent years it's gone down to L2 standard. Sums it up when the league's top scorer is Adam Rooney, an Oldham Athletic reject.

The clubs in that league have L2 sized crowds so it's to be expected.

All of Steve Cotterill's most notable achievements in management have come at L1 or L2 level. So is the jury still out for you on his managerial ability? Does he still need to "prove himself"?

The challenges of managing a top division club are unquestionably very different - not least of all managing the personalities of overpaid prima donnas - but I don't think succeeding at a lower level is any less worthy. You are competing against other managers who are also working with a similar level of quality, so it's a (roughly) level playing field. You could even argue that succeeding with a group of players of limited ability is an even greater achievement, because it's harder for them to do what you are asking.

Not ten years ago, but definitely in recent years it's gone down to L2 standard. Sums it up when the league's top scorer is Adam Rooney, an Oldham Athletic reject.

The clubs in that league have L2 sized crowds so it's to be expected.

Again I can't agree mate. With regards to the crowds, you have to remember that Scotland's total population is 5.2 million, about a tenth of England's.

And their top clubs last season had these averages (and three of them weren't even in the SPL):

Celtic 45,000

Rangers 33,000

Hearts 16,000

Aberdeen 14,000

Hibs 10,000

Dundee Utd 8,000

Hardly League 2 crowds in England?

And you mock the fact that the top scorer was ex Oldham player Rooney?

It wasn't so long ago top scorer in England's top division was ex Chester player Rush.

Easy to have a dig at Scottish football but they are a very small country and they are doing ok.

When I was growing up they qualified for five consecutive World Cups - we couldn't match that with ten times as many people living here......

Again I can't agree mate. With regards to the crowds, you have to remember that Scotland's total population is 5.2 million, about a tenth of England's.

And their top clubs last season had these averages (and three of them weren't even in the SPL):

Celtic 45,000

Rangers 33,000

Hearts 16,000

Aberdeen 14,000

Hibs 10,000

Dundee Utd 8,000

Hardly League 2 crowds in England?

And you mock the fact that the top scorer was ex Oldham player Rooney?

It wasn't so long ago top scorer in England's top division was ex Chester player Rush.

Easy to have a dig at Scottish football but they are a very small country and they are doing ok.

When I was growing up they qualified for five consecutive World Cups - we couldn't match that with ten times as many people living here......

Rangers, Hibs and Hearts weren't in the SPL last season, though. Celtic are obviously the exception, but Pompey are in L2 and would be the second biggest team in the SPL. Take out Celtic and you have a league very similar in stature to L2. Ian Rush spent two years at Chester as a youngster, that's hardly comparable to Adam ******* Rooney!

This (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm) is hardly incomparable to this (http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-two-2014-2015/1/)

I also have no doubts that the likes of ourselves, MK Dons and Preston would have strongly challenged Celtic for the SPL title last season. The league has experienced a marked deterioration in quality over recent years, no doubts can be had about that.

Rangers, Hibs and Hearts weren't in the SPL last season, though. Celtic are obviously the exception, but Pompey are in L2 and would be the second biggest team in the SPL. Take out Celtic and you have a league very similar in stature to L2. Ian Rush spent two years at Chester as a youngster, that's hardly comparable to Adam ******* Rooney!

This (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm) is hardly incomparable to this (http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-two-2014-2015/1/)

I also have no doubts that the likes of ourselves, MK Dons and Preston would have strongly challenged Celtic for the SPL title last season. The league has experienced a marked deterioration in quality over recent years, no doubts can be had about that.

As I said in my post..."and three of them weren't even in the SPL..."

So three second tier clubs averaging 60,000 between them in a country with only 5m inhabitants...not bad eh?!

There are two single managers (three if you count Alex Smith & Jocky Scott in charge together) with a better win percentage at Pittoderie. One is Billy McNeill who managed Man City and Aston Villa, the other is Alex Ferguson... It would be churlish to compare them, but let's not completely write off his achievements there.

I think the issue really is that for most of my life up until the last 20 years or so Scotland have been at least competitive with England and at times better. I was at Wembley the day England played Rix as CF and we were awful...On top of that the 100,000 crowd was 75% Scottish. I stood behind a banner that read even Sutcliffe's (Yorkshire Ripper) got a ticket...Scotland won1-0 and it was not a pleasant afternoon being gobbed at by hairy men in skirts!

Fast forward 35 years or so....There are no Bremner's, Jordans, Strachans, Dalglish's, Lorimer's, Graham's or Giles'....In fact how many comparible Scottish players are making it anywhere in England or abroad....I would argue they have not got a single player that could hold a light to that lot.

Scotland has forgotten how to produce players and English clubs are not scouting the Gow's and the Tom Richie's as they simply are not there in numbers. Scottish football was hit hard by Rangers relegation which made an urgent situation hopeless and they are now what they are....A country of 5mil on the edge of Europe that once produced footballers of significance way out of line with there size, but now struggles and has done for a while!

All of Steve Cotterill's most notable achievements in management have come at L1 or L2 level. So is the jury still out for you on his managerial ability? Does he still need to "prove himself"?

The challenges of managing a top division club are unquestionably very different - not least of all managing the personalities of overpaid prima donnas - but I don't think succeeding at a lower level is any less worthy. You are competing against other managers who are also working with a similar level of quality, so it's a (roughly) level playing field. You could even argue that succeeding with a group of players of limited ability is an even greater achievement, because it's harder for them to do what you are asking.

Spot on, to suggest that McInnes isn't any good because Scottish Football is League 2 standard is rediculous. Managing at lower levels is tough for completely different reasons. I think it would be as hard for top European managers to come to a tin pot club with no cash and be successful as it would for a league 2 manager to go the other way.

I think the issue really is that for most of my life up until the last 20 years or so Scotland have been at least competitive with England and at times better. I was at Wembley the day England played Rix as CF and we were awful...On top of that the 100,000 crowd was 75% Scottish. I stood behind a banner that read even Sutcliffe's (Yorkshire Ripper) got a ticket...Scotland won1-0 and it was not a pleasant afternoon being gobbed at by hairy men in skirts!

Fast forward 35 years or so....There are no Bremner's, Jordans, Strachans, Dalglish's, Lorimer's, Graham's or Giles'....In fact how many comparible Scottish players are making it anywhere in England or abroad....I would argue they have not got a single player that could hold a light to that lot.

Scotland has forgotten how to produce players and English clubs are not scouting the Gow's and the Tom Richie's as they simply are not there in numbers. Scottish football was hit hard by Rangers relegation which made an urgent situation hopeless and they are now what they are....A country of 5mil on the edge of Europe that once produced footballers of significance way out of line with there size, but now struggles and has done for a while!

There's another factor here. Many players who have dual qualifications (and most do) are choosing to be English as it makes them more desirable to clubs worrying about possible European restrictions on foreigners.

I watch a lot of Scottish football, and have done for years, and have often heard the taunts about it being a pub league and that Celtic wouldn't survive in England, yet during this time I have seen Celtic beat every English team that they came up against bar Arsenal. They beat Barcelona (I gave my ticket away for that game!) when they were pretty much recognised as the best club team in the world. Scottish football has struggled since the Setanta deal went tits up, but I still seriously doubt that City, MK or PNE would have come close to Celtic last season (who btw I also watched scare the shit out of Inter in a 3-3 draw at Celtic Park)

I also watched Aberdeen run Real Sociedad very close, and I really don't think you are that sort of level yet. You've had a great season and although you can only beat what is in front of you, it was still 'only' division 3. If you compete strongly next season, then you may possibly be top end SPL level.

I watch a lot of Scottish football, and have done for years, and have often heard the taunts about it being a pub league and that Celtic wouldn't survive in England, yet during this time I have seen Celtic beat every English team that they came up against bar Arsenal. They beat Barcelona (I gave my ticket away for that game!) when they were pretty much recognised as the best club team in the world. Scottish football has struggled since the Setanta deal went tits up, but I still seriously doubt that City, MK or PNE would have come close to Celtic last season (who btw I also watched scare the shit out of Inter in a 3-3 draw at Celtic Park)

I also watched Aberdeen run Real Sociedad very close, and I really don't think you are that sort of level yet. You've had a great season and although you can only beat what is in front of you, it was still 'only' division 3. If you compete strongly next season, then you may possibly be top end SPL level.

I do not follow Scottish football too closely but while i doubt City would get the upper hand over Celtic i think they would run them close. As for the team that came second, Aberdeen, I think we would have beaten them at home and got at least a point at their place. I think the majority of City fans on here would probably agree with me and that, overall, is probably going to be a fairly accurate assessment; - Just look at the players Aberdeen have and see if we would want any of them compared to our team last season. I doubt any.

Fair enough mate.

I just think for such a small country Scotland do ok.

And what about Uruguay?!! Population 3 million, they do ok too!!!!

Australia's got a far better recent world cup history than Scotland and it's our 4th sport.

As a country Scotland's performance is probably under par given its their premier sport.

Scotland needs to rebuild its youth infrastructure. It has been left behind in recent generations but has more recently started to try and change this.

So easy for ignorant people down south to look at the Scottish game badly, but there are a lot of clubs up there doing things the right way now, bringing in players through their own ranks, integrating them into the first team and trying to play more technical football.

It's got a long way to go in very, very tough circumstances, but I see hope. Actually incredible in a lot of ways the abuse dished out from observers in England when the vast majority of teams here are filled with a better quality of player, but run into massive debts and have a large lack of homegrown players almost without mention.

Archived