IGNORED

150 Million, What Is Going On ?

M_Porter

No point getting upset about it. Nobody has backed an eyelid to Hamilton earning 650k a week, 300 more than the best footballer in the world. Or the millions of pounds actors get for being in a 90 minute film. Out of the 3 I'd say footballers work harder.

No point getting upset about it. Nobody has backed an eyelid to Hamilton earning 650k a week, 300 more than the best footballer in the world. Or the millions of pounds actors get for being in a 90 minute film. Out of the 3 I'd say footballers work harder.

Yes i saw that number the other day..I actually blinked twice in quick succession and it was totally involuntarily. Mind blowing really when you consider all the aspects F1. But then when you examine it further you realise he is one of only about 5 individuals who have any chance of winning the title.. well, this year one of two probably. Compare that to football. I would agree with your work analysis for F1 versus footballers. Acting?.. not so sure.

Yes i saw that number the other day..I actually blinked twice in quick succession and it was totally involuntarily. Mind blowing really when you consider all the aspects F1. But then when you examine it further you realise he is one of only about 5 individuals who have any chance of winning the title.. well, this year one of two probably. Compare that to football. I would agree with your work analysis for F1 versus footballers. Acting?.. not so sure.

Not only that F1 carries a little bit more risk to the individual.

With regards to acting, that's all about how much money the film will bring in. If there's top actors in it it's likely to generate the dollar.

Footballers individually probably don't bring in the cash they earn, some might from shirt sales etc but I doubt Messi on his todd brings in 300,000 a week or whatever it is for barca

Given the amount of money that football generates, I don't think the wages of the top players is that far out of whack with club incomes at the top level. That's not to say it's not vulgar and a player like Sterling with one good season behind him should not be able to command such wages, but it's not really his fault that he can

At the end of the day, I have no problem with a player trying to earn as much as they can, they'd be idiots not to. It's the clubs that pay it and the agents that engineer it that are the problem

I'd also suggest that Man City will be massively overplaying for a couple of England-qualified players this season due to the Champions League rules

Not about Sterling though. Should any footballer be getting hundreds of thousands a week?

Why not? It wasn't just the footballers that led to where we are at today... It's chucking the baby outta the bath water.

Ultimately whether we like it or not collective as fans we created the situation we have today - the absolutely insatiable appetite for success. Look at us now and the amount of people thinking next year it would be disappointing if we don't capitalise and make the play offs. I'm not saying that's unjustified today (I do think so but that's not the point and another debate) but what I am saying is even a decade ago, or even 2006, those with these expectations would have been the romanticists and 20th will be good.

All that translated to a race to the top and wages naturally rise fastest.

Not only that F1 carries a little bit more risk to the individual.

With regards to acting, that's all about how much money the film will bring in. If there's top actors in it it's likely to generate the dollar.

Footballers individually probably don't bring in the cash they earn, some might from shirt sales etc but I doubt Messi on his todd brings in 300,000 a week or whatever it is for barca

Hamilton is a huge brand as are tiger woods and now Rory..

Footballers will never reach the world wide audience like the above, not even messi

How do people know Sterling has rejected the contract offer from Liverpool because he wants more money? He might realise that they are a bit of a naff team and actually want to win things in his career?

Are you suggesting that he is coming here..?

• Admin

How do people know Sterling has rejected the contract offer from Liverpool because he wants more money? He might realise that they are a bit of a naff team and actually want to win things in his career?

Because that's what Sterling said was the reason and everyone knows to never trust what a footballer says.

Not about Sterling though. Should any footballer be getting hundreds of thousands a week?

Maybe your Messis and your Ronaldos. They're global superstars who make shedloads for their clubs and should see a cut of it, in the same way that the top film stars are paid millions per film. Should your Sterlings, Milners and Walcotts get that kind of money? No.

Fairly sure it'll be this.  Grudging respect to 'Stevie G' for staying with one club and never winning the Premier league title, but most players would look at Liverpool and realise that if they want a winners medal, they're better off elsewhere (like Michael Owen!)

Perhaps he should have realised that before he signed his contract 2? Years ago.

He's just another overhyped pretty ordinary footballer imo.

With the billions of pounds washing around the game at the moment through TV deals, I personally think that the bulk of it should go to the players as they are the ones that provide the entertainment (Mr Higgs aside). I'd rather it went to them over a board of directors/owners which is what happened in the days before freedom of contract.

If you are one of the elite at your chosen profession you should be well compensated, no matter what you do. Problem is your average footballer can earn an obscene amount too.

Edit: would also add, considering the signings Liverpool have made so far, Sterlings stance about moving is looking rather savvy. Milner, Ings and Bogdan isn't what you would call inspiring for a team aiming for titles, and I say that as somebody that likes Liverpool.

Perhaps he should have realised that before he signed his contract 2? Years ago.

He's just another overhyped pretty ordinary footballer imo.

'cos 2 years ago, they nearly managed to win something, but with Suarez & Gerrard gone it's looking very unlikely again?

With the billions of pounds washing around the game at the moment through TV deals, I personally think that the bulk of it should go to the players as they are the ones that provide the entertainment (Mr Higgs aside). I'd rather it went to them over a board of directors/owners which is what happened in the days before freedom of contract.

If you are one of the elite at your chosen profession you should be well compensated, no matter what you do. Problem is your average footballer can earn an obscene amount too.

Or a little less goes to the players and ticket prices/replica shirts are a little cheaper for the fans?

Or a little less goes to the players and ticket prices/replica shirts are a little cheaper for the fans?

Of course this should happen (as it does in Germany), but as a lot of clubs are PLC's with shareholders, the board has a duty to the shareholders and that is to make as much money as humanly possible.

If it was possible for a lot of English clubs to be based around the German ownership model, us fans would definitely see the benefit.

Are you suggesting that he is coming here..?

Ah come on, Stirling coming here? ... behave yerself, gotta be realistic mate there's no way we'll be able to sign Stirling AND Drogba in the same transfer window, let's see how we're doing by Christmas and then maybe swoop in January...

( blimey, some people! ...unbelievable Jeff, unbelievable!!! )

Ah come on, Stirling coming here? ... behave yerself, gotta be realistic mate there's no way we'll be able to sign Stirling AND Drogba in the same transfer window, let's see how we're doing by Christmas and then maybe swoop in January...

( blimey, some people! ...unbelievable Jeff, unbelievable!!! )

"Stirling coming here..."

Wot?! A Scottish club relocating in the same way MK Dons did, or do you mean Sterling?

Edit: would also add, considering the signings Liverpool have made so far, Sterlings stance about moving is looking rather savvy. Milner, Ings and Bogdan isn't what you would call inspiring for a team aiming for titles, and I say that as somebody that likes Liverpool.

Archived