IGNORED

Fonts

Red Skin

JJT - I'm a bit irked because of the 5-4 Coventry game at Northampton when I lost my ******* shit.

SOD sunsequently dropped LF.

Love Flintly, Ayling and Williams and seeing what happens next season but Fontaine got pissed all over and over the season before and was still in..

Nogs, u mentioned in, i think, your penultimate post that 'perhaps Fonts had a clause in contract saying he would start every game' ; an interesting thought.

Could it really have been that City were, at the time of the Saints discussions, so desperate to hold on to him that they promised this in his next new contract or that they would immediately amend his current one?

A remarkable thought given what happened to his form thereafter.

JJT - I'm a bit irked because of the 5-4 Coventry game at Northampton when I lost my ******* shit.

SOD sunsequently dropped LF.

Love Flintly, Ayling and Williams and seeing what happens next season but Fontaine got pissed all over and over the season before and was still in..

I too will struggle to forgive him for some of those disgraceful performances. Was his confidence shot? Yes. Did I feel sorry for him? A bit. But that doesn't change the fact he put in some of the worst defensive performances anyone will ever witness. And that's not being harsh, it really was that bad. Never a class act either, was always prone to switching off even in his best games.

I don't know what the reaction was on here at the time, and I know it's easy to say now, but I personally couldn't believe it when Southampton bid 1m for him... Granted he was decent at that point (not a class act though) but he still wasn't worth half that

Lost his form lost his head never got either back whilst here.

Its unfortunate that I will forever remember being worried if he had to meet the ball first time, had to take touch, had time on the ball or was forced to use his instincts... towards the end I was worried if he was on the team sheet.

I seem to remember a section of fans chanting "off, off, off!!" When he gave away a free kick at Huddersfield. Which was harsh, but in retrospect it may have done him a favour if he had of beem sent off.

Fontaine had 4 great seasons here, then 1 awful one and some people paint him as some comical figure to be mocked for playing in Scottish football. I'm happy that a fella who was part of some great times at our club is getting back to enjoying his football

Blame the idiot who kept playing him when he was churning out those performances, not the fans.

It was painful to watch a player who had done so well play so poorly and his manager Mcinness hung him out. He needed to be dropped but the clown kept playing him, and so it began that the fans would eventually speak out in the only way they knew. Mciness ruined his confidence completely, quite ironic he kept playing Fontaine constantly when the rest of the team were changed game by game.

now you have put it like that it reminds me exactly how i felt. he should have been given a break,or at least a run in the reserves to keep fit until whatever was wrong got sorted out

I don't understand the Flint comparison 29R - he'd already found his form prior to his season ending injury at Shrewsbury.

It might look like I'm defending McInnes for the sake of it here, but that's not the case. I was as baffled as anyone by Fonts' horrific drop in form and his continuing presence on the pitch, so I was attempting to put forward theories to explain an otherwise bewildering episode.

There was a lot going on behind the scenes at the time, unhappy dead wood both being discarded and still rotting amongst the other players on the training pitch. Pressures were clearly being exerted on the players and manager from within that we didn't know about, and puzzling selection decisions made for reasons we will never know.

From the outside McIness' mistake was to place too much faith in Fontaine coming good, but the background for this faith, as well as the reasons for Fontaine crumbling before our very eyes, remains unknown, so any speculation behind this apparent kamikaze selection is just that, guesswork.

I can't believe there wasn't more to it than met the eye of the fan in the stands, i.e. McInnes apparently continuing to pick a clearly out of form Fontaine to spite not only Fontaine but everybody at the club out of some weird sadistic stubbornness - and that extra, were it known, may either alleviate the blame on the manager, or indeed damn him absolutely.

Why would a manager continue to pick his captain when his continuing presence was not only regularly costing the team points and slowly but surely making the player a figure of ridicule and disdain, but was also very likely to cost McInnes his job? It's not in the managers' best interests, it simply doesn't make sense.

To me it remains a mystery and there must be more to it than apparent stubbornness, naively misplaced faith, or indeed, the favourite theory on here, idiotic incompetence.

Before anyone says I don't believe it was a combination of all 3 either.

You should be s journalist, Noggers, or a philosopher.

SOD did continue to pick him. In my opinion, SOD is an interesting man. It was the 5-3 defeat at home to Blackburn when I realised all was not quite right. We'd beaten Cardlff and Crystal Palace previous to that, in erratic, high scoring games.

You should be s journalist, Noggers, or a philosopher.

SOD did continue to pick him. In my opinion, SOD is an interesting man. It was the 5-3 defeat at home to Blackburn when I realised all was not quite right. We'd beaten Cardlff and Crystal Palace previous to that, in erratic, high scoring games.

Although that was McInness.

Archived