IGNORED

Effect The New Stadium Can Have

Port Said Red

We passed the Gate along Winterstoke Road the other day and my wife was shocked to see the new development, she then said something I never thought I would hear. "I wouldn't mind going to a game or two if it's as nice inside" 

I know there has always been a group who feel that "if you build it, they will come", maybe they are right, maybe there are some floating fans who not only want to see a game, but want to feel comfortable in a ground designed for all types of people. I realise that "a couple of games" from my wife is not going to make a big difference, but there will be others who come for a couple of games, maybe bring the family and find they develop the same habit that many of us have over the years. 

I realise there is a group of people who only want us to be a local club for local people, but personally I am hoping that this stadium will lead to a new generation coming through to fulfil SL's ambitions.

I think anything new will attract people who just want to check out what it is like.

People rushed to Cabot Circus when it first opened because they wanted to see it.  People rushed to the new Wembley when it opened as they wanted to see it.

I see the new Ashton Gate in the same way.  A lot of people in the city will be curious to check out how the new stadium looks and may well be persuaded to go to a game or two.  The trick the club needs to pull is making those people want to go back again and again...

We passed the Gate along Winterstoke Road the other day and my wife was shocked to see the new development, she then said something I never thought I would hear. "I wouldn't mind going to a game or two if it's as nice inside" 

and you can sweeten it with a nice steak dinner after the game, none of this Berni Inn rubbish..........

http://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/sports-bar

The club is open to anyone and any kind of support,

As long as there's an area where people can jump about stand and create atmosphere then other parts of the ground can accomadate fans or people who just want to watch football

• Admin

My missus is similar, she's currently travelling the world and has had to put up with me sending her updates. Having never previously shown any interest in football she has now asked if I can take her to a game when she returns. I also got her singing Flint Said No all round Australia apparently.

I know there has always been a group who feel that "if you build it, they will come", maybe they are right, maybe there are some floating fans who not only want to see a game, but want to feel comfortable in a ground designed for all types of people. I realise that "a couple of games" from my wife is not going to make a big difference, but there will be others who come for a couple of games, maybe bring the family and find they develop the same habit that many of us have over the years. 

I realise there is a group of people who only want us to be a local club for local people, but personally I am hoping that this stadium will lead to a new generation coming through to fulfil SL's ambitions.

Thanks for the heads up PSR. I'll make sure we take a different route to the airport next month...

When clubs move to a completely new stadium there is often an immediate increase in crowds. Although City are doing a redevelopment the effect, when the Williams is complete, will be similar. It will look like a totally different ground and, important, people will be able to just pay on the day and get a good seat. Except, of course when we are playing Arsenal, Man U etc.

My missus is similar, she's currently travelling the world and has had to put up with me sending her updates. Having never previously shown any interest in football she has now asked if I can take her to a game when she returns. I also got her singing Flint Said No all round Australia apparently.

:laugh: my missus came to Chesterfield and I got a video of her singing it and sent it to a Swindon kiddie, he wasn't best pleased, she has also said she would like to go a couple of times this year.

I've said this before but look at Cardiff the last few years. They had gates lower than the Gas years ago and are averaging near on 20,000 now!

There is no reason why that can't happen to City ( gates only! )

Archived