IGNORED

Transfers

stump

Getting a little concerned by our lack of movement in the transfer market.  With Jet gone ( which, i believe was a mistake by SC) and Mr Agard unfit we are really short up front.  We will also need a large squad to stay in the Championship. Maybe something is happening in the background but lets get a move on shall we...

Getting a little concerned by our lack of movement in the transfer market. With Jet gone ( which, i believe was a mistake by SC) and Mr Agard unfit we are really short up front. We will also need a large squad to stay in the Championship. Maybe something is happening in the background but lets get a move on shall we...

My God he's right , why did no one else think of this ?

Do we really need another "I'm worried by the lack of transfer activity as the season starts in 4 weeks time" thread ?! Evening Post jumped the gun a few weeks back saying a lot of City fans were anxious by lack of transfer activity, would totally understand them writing it now based on reaction of some on here!

Do we really need another "I'm worried by the lack of transfer activity as the season starts in 4 weeks time" thread ?! Evening Post jumped the gun a few weeks back saying a lot of City fans were anxious by lack of transfer activity, would totally understand them writing it now based on reaction of some on here!

Without wishing to add to this thread - I think we'd be perfectly justified to be a little anxious now

Did you think we'd have no one in by 13th July? ****** if I did

Without wishing to add to this thread - I think we'd be perfectly justified to be a little anxious now

Did you think we'd have no one in by 13th July? ****** if I did

Did I expect us to have someone in by now? Truthfully, yes I did. However, I would rather we wait for the right players to become available than risk paying bigger fees than we have to early on in the window etc - just to negate the anxiety of some fans. It isn't as if we are going to get to the end of the transfer window without new faces coming in, as we are bound to bring in additions at some stage. Some people seem to be thinking just because we haven't done busy early on that the season is going to consequently be a failure / that SC + KB don't know what they are doing...

Plus, getting anxious over something we can't control isn't going to achieve anything either - I trust that when the players we want become available/its the right time to make a move for them, then the club will do so

Did I expect us to have someone in by now? Truthfully, yes I did. However, I would rather we wait for the right players to become available than risk paying bigger fees than we have to early on in the window etc - just to negate the anxiety of some fans. It isn't as if we are going to get to the end of the transfer window without new faces coming in, as we are bound to bring in additions at some stage. Some people seem to be thinking just because we haven't done busy early on that the season is going to consequently be a failure / that SC + KB don't know what they are doing...

Plus, getting anxious over something we can't control isn't going to achieve anything either - I trust that when the players we want become available/its the right time to make a move for them, then the club will do so

I don't want a signing because it's 13th July, I want a signing (or 5) because we only have 16 (?) players in the first team squad right now

We all saw the benefit of doing the bulk of the business before pre season last year. When we won the league in April it was stated as a good thing, planning can start early, head start on rivals etc.....have we lost the advantage now? It's a funny summer, nothing is moving, hopefully the next week or so it will all wake up and get moving

WE ARE IN FACT THE ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM YET TO GET ANTONE IN...

Most teams in the championship are in a transition - either relegated from prem, fighting for top 6 or need to rebuild. We have a very complete first 11 as demonstrated last season and aren't in a state of rebuilding/transition. We are waiting for the right targets and sometimes it takes a domino effect for them to happen.

WE ARE IN FACT THE ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM YET TO GET ANTONE IN...

Personally I think those at the club feel it is more about quality as opposed to quantity. Just because we haven't signed anybody yet doesn't mean that come the end of the window that we will have done bad business necessarily. Judge the clubs activity based on what has been done come end of August / when we start to get into the season 

I don't want a signing because it's 13th July, I want a signing (or 5) because we only have 16 (?) players in the first team squad right now

We all saw the benefit of doing the bulk of the business before pre season last year. When we won the league in April it was stated as a good thing, planning can start early, head start on rivals etc.....have we lost the advantage now? It's a funny summer, nothing is moving, hopefully the next week or so it will all wake up and get moving

We are in a slightly different position as opposed to last year however, seeing as we were one of the bigger teams in our league, this year there wont be as much of a pull seeing as we will be viewed as a middle of the road club in the championship so to speak. I feel that our stature in the league we were in contributed to us being able to do business earlier in the window.  agree it contributes to being able to get players to gel quicker, however if the players we desire aren't currently available, it seems silly to me to settle for others just to fill the squad so to speak. We can all see we need additions to our squad, but not at the sake of overpaying/rushing into buying players who may not fit with Steve's footballing philosophy /character profile.

There are arguments for both sides of this debate, however I think instead of us all becoming anxious about lack of business so far, we should look fwd to coming season putting trust in the fact that Steve and Burt should get our business done

We are in a slightly different position as opposed to last year however, seeing as we were one of the bigger teams in our league, this year there wont be as much of a pull seeing as we will be viewed as a middle of the road club in the championship so to speak. I feel that our stature in the league we were in contributed to us being able to do business earlier in the window.  agree it contributes to being able to get players to gel quicker, however if the players we desire aren't currently available, it seems silly to me to settle for others just to fill the squad so to speak. We can all see we need additions to our squad, but not at the sake of overpaying/rushing into buying players who may not fit with Steve's footballing philosophy /character profile.

There are arguments for both sides of this debate, however I think instead of us all becoming anxious about lack of business so far, we should look fwd to coming season putting trust in the fact that Steve and Burt should get our business done

I have no doubt that the business we do will be well considered, affordable and quality....but my God, it's a taking a long time!!

I have no doubt that the business we do will be well considered, affordable and quality....but my God, it's a taking a long time!!

Agreed - I'm finding it is making the off-season feel a hell of a lot longer than usual too! :sad26:

Whilst I get why many are not panicking I do find it odd that we're not getting business done sooner rather than later, I mean that was one of the key reasons given by Bristol City for the great bond the players have and a large influence on our success.

As someone said, Hull and Blackburn are yet to bring players in but let's be honest, Hull have some players we'd kill to have and already have more depth than us and Blackburn also have some great quality and depth compared to us.

The players we need have pretty much been agreed by most, we need at least 1 CB, 1 GK and 1-2 strikers and then after those we need depth. If you look at how long it is until the season starts we have three and a half weeks to sign at least 4 players and then we probably need some more for depth. That means we need to sign 1-2 players each week or if we want to give them a couple of weeks to bed into the City and squad then really we have around 10 days to make all of our signings to allow them two weeks to do so. People may not be panicking and are still feeling confident about signing players but when you look at those facts we're cutting it awfully close. I hope for our sakes that this week we make at least two signings to give those players some time to get settled ready for next season and then we can get a few more as soon as possible.

I am always amazed that there is an assumption that because we have signed any body yet, which is a massive concern, that we waiting for the right players. Has it not occurred to you that the right players are being signed by the day by other clubs and that the supply of the right players is dwindling.If we carry on like this the best options will be gone.

You have to say it is atrocious not to have signed anyone yet.  The new player(s) will have missed most of our pre-season and not been able to take part in the Portugal tour.

I find it strange to say the least, as we were the first club to know we were going to be promoted, so had more time than most to plan for this period.

Even if the right players are going to other clubs, then there isn't a huge amount we can do anyway if those players are out of our price range/wage structure/want to go elsewhere. The club will be actively looking for players they want to bring in - I hardly doubt Keith and Steve etc are just watching things play out whilst doing nothing about it, lets be fair.  If we aren't getting the "right" players (priority targets) then it won't be because of a lack of trying/activity by the club - it would be because they want to go elsewhere, want too much money etc

Even if the right players are going to other clubs, then there isn't a huge amount we can do anyway if those players are out of our price range/wage structure/want to go elsewhere. The club will be actively looking for players they want to bring in - I hardly doubt Keith and Steve etc are just watching things play out whilst doing nothing about it, lets be fair.  If we aren't getting the "right" players (priority targets) then it won't be because of a lack of trying/activity by the club - it would be because they want to go elsewhere, want too much money etc

A further worry  might be then that we cannot compete in this league in terms of signing players we want  due to wage demands.Where does that leave us.

A further worry  might be then that we cannot compete in this league in terms of signing players we want  due to wage demands.Where does that leave us.

Needing to sign honest, committed, talented players from L1 / Championship that want to come here to get more game time / improve themselves by pushing on at a higher level? We probably won't compete with the highest spenders in the Championship lets be fair, SL may invest in a few big hitters but imagine the majority that come in will be signed in similar format to last year - ie. players that want to come in and push themselves as they can see the club can go places. We have a decent backbone to the team, just need to fill it out a bit more, most likely with fringe Championship players / a couple of loan moves. Other than that, I don't really know where we stand - we shall know more this time next month though that's for sure.

Needing to sign honest, committed, talented players from L1 / Championship that want to come here to get more game time / improve themselves by pushing on at a higher level? We probably won't compete with the highest spenders in the Championship lets be fair, SL may invest in a few big hitters but imagine the majority that come in will be signed in similar format to last year - ie. players that want to come in and push themselves as they can see the club can go places. We have a decent backbone to the team, just need to fill it out a bit more, most likely with fringe Championship players / a couple of loan moves. Other than that, I don't really know where we stand - we shall know more this time next month though that's for sure.

I do agree with some of what you say but when you say" fill out the squad a bit more" that is a massive understatement.We have a squad of 16 with one of our 2 senior strikers out for 10 weeks.We had a great deal of luck last season with injuries compared to some and we can't rely on that again.And do you not think other clubs face the problems we do.Getting in players who want to play and are committed.But whatever we have done so far it isn't working.

Do you sign:

Player A - Your top target for the position you are after, good age and potential, value would be great for business and he would fit right into the group of players we currently HOWEVER Club A are themselves looking to sign a player for that position so cannot sell Player A to you just yet but they have given you reassurances he will be available when the time is right.

Player B - Is the second target for the position needed, a little older and although is playing very well at the moment you know Player A could become just as good as Player B but at a younger age. Player B is available right now..brilliant! BUT he is more expensive and you would prefer to have Player A.

Which would you choose? ...I know which the club are currently going for

I do agree with some of what you say but when you say" fill out the squad a bit more" that is a massive understatement.We have a squad of 16 with one of our 2 senior strikers out for 10 weeks.We had a great deal of luck last season with injuries compared to some and we can't rely on that again.And do you not think other clubs face the problems we do.Getting in players who want to play and are committed.But whatever we have done so far it isn't working.

when I said fill out the squad a bit more I did mean bringing in 5-6 players (GK, CB, CM, X2 ST - At least) - not underestimating, just way I phrased it that's all. Of course other clubs have the issue of enticing players to come play for them, that's a constant throughout the game I'm sure, I was just making the point we don't want bad eggs in the group - want signings like the bunch of lads that came in last summer, knuckled down, gelled well, no big egos and got the job done

Do you sign:

Player A - Your top target for the position you are after, good age and potential, value would be great for business and he would fit right into the group of players we currently HOWEVER Club A are themselves looking to sign a player for that position so cannot sell Player A to you just yet but they have given you reassurances he will be available when the time is right.

Player B - Is the second target for the position needed, a little older and although is playing very well at the moment you know Player A could become just as good as Player B but at a younger age. Player B is available right now..brilliant! BUT he is more expensive and you would prefer to have Player A.

Which would you choose? ...I know which the club are currently going for

Are you saying all of the 4-6 players we need are player A?

I'm surprised 1 or 2 deals aren't done yet seeing as we need quite a few players.

I wonder what'll come first, a signing or the away kit.

Archived