IGNORED

Cole, Akinbiyi, Trundle, Maynard ....

Tim Bartlett

Thanks Nogbad.

It was Les Wilson.

The player from Coventry was Brian Hill, Wilson came from Wolves.

Early in my City supporting days and the club signing new players was very unusual compared with today.

As a young supporter I remember this double 'swoop', even to sign fairly bland players, was very exciting at the time.

The player from Coventry was Brian Hill, Wilson came from Wolves.

Early in my City supporting days and the club signing new players was very unusual compared with today.

As a young supporter I remember this double 'swoop', even to sign fairly bland players, was very exciting at the time.

Ah Well.

Coventry or Wolves, it was Les Wilson I was thinking of.

A firm favourite of Mr Ian Alexander I believe... Especially his hips where he seemed to attach both feet when Smith went near him.

Love it.  As predictable as the sun coming up, ball goes to Smith, he spools up the turbo, knocks the ball past the elephant man and is promptly sent into orbit.

Claim to fame: I once got Ian Alexander sent off.  True fact, that.

Love it. As predictable as the sun coming up, ball goes to Smith, he spools up the turbo, knocks the ball past the elephant man and is promptly sent into orbit.

Claim to fame: I once got Ian Alexander sent off. True fact, that.

We need more information about this heroic act please!

We need more information about this heroic act please!

Some time after he'd been sent off for launching Smith and then the ball, he was playing in a derby game. AG packed, and they ****** up on the turnstiles so I was moved from the enclosure into the old open end. Anyway, near the end of the game, reds 1-0 up. Alexander was waiting for a throw near the corner flag. I yell out "oi! Alexander, ain't it about time you got sent off?". Plenty of laughs from the red army. 1 minute later he handled on the line and off he goes. Tinman scores the pen and come and dances round the corner flag in front of me!

Back in the days when I used to buy programmes, the "welcome the visitors" section for our away games seemed to have only one stock comment about Allison "a player tracked by City since his Halifax days."

I use to have a signed Wayner pic, what a player he truly was, one of my faves

Back in the days when I used to buy programmes, the "welcome the visitors" section for our away games seemed to have only one stock comment about Allison "a player tracked by City since his Halifax days."

I never, ever rated him.  I was glad when he went.  What did he ever actually do, other than not be as good as he should have been?  Sorry, but my memory of him was that he was utter shi-ite

I think he also scored a hat-trick against Stockport in the next round. I always liked Wayney - sometimes looked ungainly and missed a few but worked hard and went on to have a long career.

Swindon at home, 1st game back for Jordan:  I recall Kilcline going in hard on Allison, and pretty much bouncing off him, with big Wayne barely noticing.  Or maybe it is just the rose-tinted specs, and too much cider.

I never, ever rated him.  I was glad when he went.  What did he ever actually do, other than not be as good as he should have been?  Sorry, but my memory of him was that he was utter shi-ite

Wayne Allison was solid enough for City, about a 1:4 goal ratio, but the appreciation shown for him in retrospect seems to be higher than I remember at the time.

He was known as 'Tanglefoot' during his time at AG, partly in a jokingly affectionate way but he certainly had many detractors on the terraces.

Wayne Allison was solid enough for City, about a 1:4 goal ratio, but the appreciation shown for him in retrospect seems to be higher than I remember at the time.

He was known as 'Tanglefoot' during his time at AG, partly in a jokingly affectionate way but he certainly had many detractors on the terraces.

I recall one home game, against Millwall if I remember correctly, when he was being abused racially by the fans in what was then still the 'Open End'.

Firstly the Dolman and then, or so it seemed to me at the time, the entire ground started chanting his name to be acknowledged by Wayne with an arms aloft round of applause to all corners of the ground.

He always seemed popular to me.

Tony Thorpe, signed around the same few days as akinbiyi.

I was less than happy with that at the time.  We had been outbid for him ?six months previously by Kevin Keegan's Fulham and then they decided they wanted to sell him on and we picked him up. Hmmmm....  was there not a reason they sold him?

It turned out that there was.  Whilst he certainly got plenty of goals they were 90%+ goals where we had already won the game or were scored as penalties.

Where the opposition defence was solid because the scores were 0-0 he rarely if ever scored.

His stats (51 goals in 128 appearances) make him look way better than he actually was.  Very few of these goals actually won us three points.

Archived