IGNORED

Open Letter - Disabled Fans/season Tickets

CotswoldRed

Christ, what a ridiculous amount of hoops you are having to jump through!

The thing I don't get is that in 90% of cases with disabled adults and children, they have a disability and that's that.  It doesn't magically improve one day.  So if the club have seen evidence of disability then they shouldn't need to ask you to keep proving it every time when it comes to renewal.

They don't ask me to prove i'm an adult year after year (although some would say that's debatable in my case!) so why are disabled people meant to jump through all these hoops season after season.

(for the record the 10% that might improve I am referring to things like spinal injuries which can get some level of improvement with intensive support)

Cotswold, if you need me to help out in any way with this, then I am happy to.  If you need to post stuff to me to take down and show the club so you don't need to make the journey for example.

Christ, what a ridiculous amount of hoops you are having to jump through!

The thing I don't get is that in 90% of cases with disabled adults and children, they have a disability and that's that.  It doesn't magically improve one day.  So if the club have seen evidence of disability then they shouldn't need to ask you to keep proving it every time when it comes to renewal.

They don't ask me to prove i'm an adult year after year (although some would say that's debatable in my case!) so why are disabled people meant to jump through all these hoops season after season.

(for the record the 10% that might improve I am referring to things like spinal injuries which can get some level of improvement with intensive support)

Providing evidence every year isn't a major issue - just email a copy of the certificate (its only valid for a year so that makes sense).  But why the desperate need to store it in their systems this time, having seen it already?  It won't be technically valid for next year's renewal!

Providing evidence every year isn't a major issue - just email a copy of the certificate (its only valid for a year so that makes sense).  But why the desperate need to store it in their systems this time, having seen it already?  It won't be technically valid for next year's renewal!

That's how it should work for me

Thanks for the offer of help Dolls.  I'm big enough to sort it out.

I know the club staff are well-meaning etc, but I worry more about those fans who are less able to sort these things than we are.  Perhaps they don't own a scanner/copier, for example, so now have to travel back to Ashton Gate with paper in hand, or have to find a means of copying and posting.  Its just not right.

Reminds me of how Road Tax for the disabled used to be handled - you had to travel to a regional office (in my case 25 miles away, bang in the centre of Oxford) to get your tax disc if you changed your vehicle.  Make disabled people travel 50 miles to get a Tax Disc in the centre of town? - Who makes these processes up?

Surely you should be able to just purchase a disabled ticket on line and then go to Ashton Gate at a later date to validate it with the DLA certificate? And why do they need a copy of it? Surely you can just show it to a member of staff who then signs off?

This kind of thing isn't just a BCFC issue though. When we were 15, one of my best mates had cancer and had to have one of his legs amputated. Because of this he qualified for a mobility benefit which could be taken in the form of a car, which he was allowed to drive from the age of 16 rather than 17. Every year for years afterwards (I do think they've changed it now tbf) my friend has to go to his GP to get a letter which states that he still has his disability- essentially a letter which states his right leg hasn't grown back! Heaping irony upon irony, he is himself a medical doctor but they wouldn't take his word for it!

Barmy stuff, I hope you get a positive response from the club and the process is improved for you next year

• Admin

Without sounding insensitive, people DO improve from some disabilities, that is why as an example people get regular assessments for benefit entitlement.

Of course there are SOME disabilities where there is no prognosis of improvement, this is where the club could show a bit of sensititity and require constant proof. 

I can see why it could be a problem on line, in theory someone could click by mistake or think they are pulling a fast one - which is why there would be the need for providing proof, and for that reason alone I can see why it would be easier to do it face to face, as documented evidence may be required.

On a tangent, do disabled people and their carers keep the same seat each season like any other season ticket renewal?

Without sounding insensitive, people DO improve from some disabilities, that is why as an example people get regular assessments for benefit entitlement.

Of course there are SOME disabilities where there is no prognosis of improvement, this is where the club could show a bit of sensititity and require constant proof. 

I can see why it could be a problem on line, in theory someone could click by mistake or think they are pulling a fast one - which is why there would be the need for providing proof, and for that reason alone I can see why it would be easier to do it face to face, as documented evidence may be required.

On a tangent, do disabled people and their carers keep the same seat each season like any other season ticket renewal?

The need for proof is  a necessary evil.  Imagine how many Blue Parking badges there would be if you were issued with one for life!

Acquiring that proof should be made as pain free as possible.  When asking for proof of address or insurance no-claims etc you aren't made to travel anywhere.

And the awful irony is that we often ask those least able to travel to do just that.

I had this problem. I wrote to the chap and in fairness he said that I don't have to make an extra trip down, just come to the office on match day.

Indeed.  I don't want anyone to think they have to travel again.

My main point is - I already have travelled and shown proof (as many have).  Now there is yet more admin to satisfy their systems.  Whatever I send them won't be valid for future purchases and I would have to question data protection etc.  Why can't they accept the staff member who viewed the certificate already was competent and trustworthy?

If I was a betting man I wouldn't imagine they have a system in place to ensure copies of certificates can't be accessed, whether by hacking or PCs being stolen from offices.  Companies just love to store data about you, don't they!

• Admin

My main point is - I already have travelled and shown proof (as many have).  Now there is yet more admin to satisfy their systems.  Whatever I send them won't be valid for future purchases and I would have to question data protection etc.  Why can't they accept the staff member who viewed the certificate already was competent and trustworthy?

Dare I say it, but I would expect the previous ticketing system to have not been designed correctly.

Clearly there are circumstances where annual evidence is not needed, it wouldn't be that hard to add a box where it specifies "proof", "date provided", "who authorised it"

Hopefully, this can be included in the new system that is on the way

Indeed.  I don't want anyone to think they have to travel again.

If I was a betting man I wouldn't imagine they have a system in place to ensure copies of certificates can't be accessed, whether by hacking or PCs being stolen from offices.  Companies just love to store data about you, don't they!

Yes, that was the point I made to him in my e-mail. The guy in the shop checked it so rigorously, you'd think it was passport control to North Korea !   :shifty:

To be fair, I have had a wheelchair season ticket for 10 years, and this is only the second time I have had to show proof of my disability, other organisations have asked every year.

I have always found it annoying that wheelchair tickets cannot be booked online, even London 2012 required bookings by phone, which perhaps explained the lack of wheelchair users at some events, especially when premium rate phone lines are used.

Hopefully, this will change in the future.

But you can buy a child's season ticket online right, potentially pulling a fast one? And to my knowledge they get older every year.

Out of interest does the disabled supporter / carer have the same reserved seat each game / season like the rest of us?

Or is it first come first served on the day?

The carer (me in this case) is provided with a free season ticket (assume the same for one-off games).  If the carer needs to be changed then I believe this can be arranged.  The carer has a dedicated seat, next to the wheelchair bay I believe (in the case of the new areas).

I didn't realise we had a disability liaison officer, seems it's a new role? I guess at least now there is a dedicated name for people to contact and liaise with so hopefully there will be an end of problems arising like this.

Yeah exactly, why can't they just do the same and allow online sales for disabled?

Very positive response from Nick above at least.

I guess when they have the data collated on their database they can allow online sales. It seems in the past that there has been discrepancies with the information held - for all season ticket holders

I didn't realise we had a disability liaison officer, seems it's a new role? I guess at least now there is a dedicated name for people to contact and liaise with so hopefully there will be an end of problems arising like this.

TBH it doesn't look like a specific full time role, just someone who has volunteered to do it as part of a wider existing job. A similar comparison would be the first aider and fire marshall roles found in most companies.

Still it is progress that at least BCFC/BS have appointed someone dedicated to this role.

TBH it doesn't look like a specific full time role, just someone who has volunteered to do it as part of a wider existing job. A similar comparison would be the first aider and fire marshall roles found in most companies.

Still it is progress that at least BCFC/BS have appointed someone dedicated to this role.

Looks like his other role is Ticket Office Supervisor, thought with the problems we've had with that in the past he would have his hands full enough already. He seems new and taking on two newly created roles so wish him all the best. Looking forward to smooth ticketing and less hassle for our fans with disabilities in the future.

Archived