IGNORED

New Orleans

jambodinho

Anyone ever been? Going there, San Francisco and Vegas in October. Know plenty of people who have visited SF & Vegas but literally nobody who has been to NOLA. Any recommendations for things to do, places to eat and drink and where to hear some great live music would be much appreciated.

Not been, but would be interested to hear your thoughts when you're back - on the 'to-do' list once the girls have grown up!

If you can coincide it with a Saints (NFL) game then apparently you'll have a cracking night out down there

Did it recover from the flooding from katrina and Rita? If it has then it's a cracking place

Was there a while back a year or so after Katrina.  Things were still being repaired and I found the whole place very disappointing. Only highlight was Bourbon Street and even that left a lot to be desired

Was there a while back a year or so after Katrina. Things were still being repaired and I found the whole place very disappointing. Only highlight was Bourbon Street and even that left a lot to be desired

I heard the same thing. It's on mine and the wife's list of places to go, but people who have been have not talked too highly of it. Maybe Katrina had a bigger impact than people thought.

Been to NOLA many times both before and after Katrina. All depends on what you're after in a holiday destination. If your interests include fantastic food, awesome music and great architecture then NOLA is for you. If you like your holidays pre packaged and squeaky clean..don't go. Bourbon St is like Vegas in that it's fun for a short amount of time however the other Districts are where the real culture comes through. Check out the TV show Treme. That depicts NOLA pretty well.

The main reason we opted for new orleans was for the music, cajun and creole food and for the architecture. The French quarter and the garden district being areas we really want to explore. The saints play on the night we fly over to san francisco which is a shame.

There is a famous quote by Tennesse Williams- 'In America there is New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. The rest is just Cleveland'

We could of done LA instead but know a few people to have been there and they've got nothing good to say about it. Glad we've opted for somewhere a bit more unique.

Been to NOLA many times both before and after Katrina. All depends on what you're after in a holiday destination. If your interests include fantastic food, awesome music and great architecture then NOLA is for you. If you like your holidays pre packaged and squeaky clean..don't go. Bourbon St is like Vegas in that it's fun for a short amount of time however the other Districts are where the real culture comes through. Check out the TV show Treme. That depicts NOLA pretty well.

Just started watching Treme and I love it,on series 2 now. It was playing on my mind just how much of a true representation of the city it might be. Glad to hear someone who's been there confirm it is. Great show :trumpet:

Archived