IGNORED

House Extension Help

EmersonsKev

Evening all,

The wife and I are in the early planning stages of an extension on the back of our house to provide us with a new communal family space, new kitchen and dining area.

We have no experience of such an undertaking just wondered if you lovely people would pass on your experiences, recommendations of tradesman and stories.

Cheers in advance,

Don't bother, absolute nightmare. Permitted development usually turns out to not be so, welcome to full planning. The council are about as much help as a chocolate fire guard. Architects, tradesmen ( some  good ) drainage, footings, bleeding building regs, 

The money you're going to spend add to any equity you may have in your property and go and buy something that suits your needs

Evening all,

The wife and I are in the early planning stages of an extension on the back of our house to provide us with a new communal family space, new kitchen and dining area.

We have no experience of such an undertaking just wondered if you lovely people would pass on your experiences, recommendations of tradesman and stories.

Cheers in advance,

Speak to the council before you do anything- find out whether you can do it within permitted development or if you need full planning. They should give the advice for free and no point paying anyone anything until you know what you're dealing with

For a residential extension pre-app?! I thought that was tight but looking about the net everyone does it. Sign of the times I suspect

I'd still pay that anyway; a lot less hassle down the line

As a general rule of thumb if your house was built between mid-70s and mid-90s on purpose-built residential estates then your permitted development rights have probably been removed.

To be fair, even before pre-app the first thing to do is tell your neighbours your plans and try and get them on-side!

Archived