IGNORED

Am I The Only One Who Is Not Bothered One Bit?

screech

Personally I look at our first 11 and know these players are more than capable of getting into the top 10 of this league, so we may have missed out on a few signings, oh well, never mind.

One things for sure, SC has gone for quality over quantity, and I admire that. One delivered so far, who knows how many we have tried for, who knows who we may end up with yet.

On the plus side we could have easily ended up with masses of shit that was the GJ transfer policy, or otherwise known as clubs in the bag. We appear to have learned our lesson on that front at least.

It appears that some are craving for any signing no matter who it is, just to have something to gossip about.

Personally I look at our first 11 and know these players are more than capable of getting into the top 10 of this league, so we may have missed out on a few signings, oh well, never mind.

One things for sure, SC has gone for quality over quantity, and I admire that. One delivered so far, who knows how many we have tried for, who knows who we may end up with yet.

On the plus side we could have easily ended up with masses of shit that was the GJ transfer policy, or otherwise known as clubs in the bag. We appear to have learned our lesson on that front at least.

It appears that some are craving for any signing no matter who it is, just to have something to gossip about.

no, you aren't, but I had thought it was just me

I'm calm, the first eleven we field on saturday will bring us back at least a point, very likely all three.  we will sign players, loan or permanent before the window closes.  The league isn't won or lost in the first few games, the one thing we don't want to do now is panic and sign bodies to make up the numbers.  If we can get a few quality/hungry players in on loan and one or two proven championship players on permanent deals before the window closes then i think we will be challenging the play-offs, if not more this season. 

In my opinion, we are only a few good additions away from challenging the big boys in this league.  There are a lot of average teams in the championship that stay in the league because a few teams perform drastically poorly each season, teams like cardiff and leeds are in this category.  On paper they may look like half decent teams but that's where it ends.  We have a team that plays like a team and seem to enjoy playing with each other, more importantly they are used to winning.

• Admin

As long as we end up with "some" then I'll be happy enough because as you say, the starting XI is good.

However, the bench at present is O'Leary, el Abd, Wagstaff, Burns, Reid so that needs to improve a bit for options & injury replacements/managing fatigue.

I wouldn't say I'm not bothered, but it has amazed/shocked/staggered/pissed me off that so many seem to have gone from "this team would do well in the championship" to "omg, we're already relegated" inside 2 months. I think we have a good chance of beating Sheff Wed on Saturday

An interesting question I would pose to everyone on here would be;

What would you have placed more importance on during pre-season? Presuming you had to pick one of the following options.

1. Bring in proven Championship/young Premiership players for high transfer fees and wages.

2. Keep hold of Flint, Bryan, Freeman etc.

Not bothered but anxious as every fan wants to see improvements but it's not a rush to sign players. Anything can happen but I don't foresee a rash of injuries/suspensions over the first 2-3 games. I actually expect to beat Wednesday as we have a settle starting 11 and they are integrating a fair few new faces.

Just want some good signings and I think it's hard to keep that optimistic mindset when we haven't had any. Just a long summer with as little activity as we've had.

What would you have placed more importance on during pre-season? Presuming you had to pick one of the following options.

1. Bring in proven Championship/young Premiership players for high transfer fees and wages.

Without doubt Option 2.

There is still loads of time to improve our current squad, plus we must learn from past errors paying too much to journeymen who just wanted to see their time out on an unacceptable salary. I firmly believe SL has to run the football club as he would run any other business.

Just a thought.

A successful summer would have seen us do both, they are not mutually exclusive..

Chippenham Red's post in this thread means no need to add anything further.

You can keep burying your head in the sand if you want to. We are a few days away from entering a Championship season with 14 senior players. Whichever way you look at it, our summer recruitment has been a disaster and we have an inferior squad to last year.

Disaster? Really?? My wife supports Reading - a few weeks ago their fans were declaring their recruitment as a disaster. Suddenly the Thai owners let the manager know what his budget was (!) and they made 5 signings: 2 keepers (one of whom is young and inexperienced, one of which who is old and looks very suspect), 2 out of contract players from Hull (both of whom I wouldn't particularly have wanted at City) and one unknown striker from Portugal who isn't yet match fit. They just about managed to beat the Gas in a friendly (for large parts of the game they made the Gas look like the Championship side), lost to Crawley, drew with Swansea and drew 0-0 with Espanyol while only having one shot on target. 

Compared to that, I'd say our summer recruitment, while not ideal, is far from disastrous and let's not forget, it hasn't finished yet, there's almost a month to go and I have great faith in SC and KB. However, as with everything in football, time will tell!

The only people who are not bothered one bit are the ones who can't admit on an anonymous forum that we are woefully short.

We have a completely untried first 11 at this level and exactly nothing else. No club who are looking to the higher echelons of this division will be going in this ill prepared. There is a reason certain clubs like to have a squad of 25 players who can all contribute at this level. These clubs have the youth, experience and depth to have a plan A B C D E F for any given situation, we have plan A and that consists of hoping that the side that walked league 1 last year can suddenly compete in the league above. How many sides hoping to stay in the premiership keep the exact same first 11 the next season?? The answer is usually none, even if that side has walked the league below. The reason being that when you step up a level, you naturally need to add more quality and experience to compete.

We have loads of fans who can't seem to look past their sentimental feeling for City and believe just because its our club we will be ok. If you were an outsider looking into an identical scenario at another club, most would be saying that they are not prepared, don't have the experience and have a wafer thin squad for this level of football imho of course.

The only people who are not bothered one bit are the ones who can't admit on an anonymous forum that we are woefully short.

We have a completely untried first 11 at this level and exactly nothing else. No club who are looking to the higher echelons of this division will be going in this ill prepared. There is a reason certain clubs like to have a squad of 25 players who can all contribute at this level. These clubs have the youth, experience and depth to have a plan A B C D E F for any given situation, we have plan A and that consists of hoping that the side that walked league 1 last year can suddenly compete in the league above. How many sides hoping to stay in the premiership keep the exact same first 11 the next season?? The answer is usually none, even if that side has walked the league below. The reason being that when you step up a level, you naturally need to add more quality and experience to compete.

We have loads of fans who can't seem to look past their sentimental feeling for City and believe just because its our club we will be ok. If you were an outsider looking into an identical scenario at another club, most would be saying that they are not prepared, don't have the experience and have a wafer thin squad for this level of football imho of course.

What has 'anonymous forum' got to do with anything?? No-one, especially me, is denying the squad needs strengthening, but emotive words like 'woefully short' and 'disaster' are bordering on the hysterical. I don't understand the panic...sorry, that's my view, but maybe I'll be proved wrong!

Bollox, I couldn't give a toss, there are more important things in life, like my health and the wellbeing of friends and family.

This is just football, not life or death.

I'd love us to do well, but I really aren't bothered by this lack of signings, it's football that's all.

No offence meant, and taking your comment out of context but really, I'm not worried at all.

Bollox, I couldn't give a toss, there are more important things in life, like my health and the wellbeing of friends and family.

This is just football, not life or death.

I'd love us to do well, but I really aren't bothered by this lack of signings, it's football that's all.

No offence meant, and taking your comment out of context but really, I'm not worried at all.

Im talking from a strictly footballing point of view, family, friends etc etc had nothing to do with the post.

With you Screech, at least the ITK's have been proved totally and utterly clueless, even down to the people who whinged about the the colour of the new seats have been proved wrong because the ******* wrapping has now been taken off.

Im talking from a strictly footballing point of view, family, friends etc etc had nothing to do with the post.

Yeah I know, but some people on here think it's a life and death scenario, I was merely trying say CALM DOWN LADS, it's not life or death.

We have very capable professionals in charge of what is a very difficult scenario.

With you Screech, at least the ITK's have been proved totally and utterly clueless, even down to the people who whinged about the the colour of the new seats have been proved wrong because the ******* wrapping has now been taken off.

The ITK's are a joke, but worse are the clowns that hang on to every whim they write, makes me wonder what kind of creature am I sharing the forum with.

What has 'anonymous forum' got to do with anything?? No-one, especially me, is denying the squad needs strengthening, but emotive words like 'woefully short' and 'disaster' are bordering on the hysterical. I don't understand the panic...sorry, that's my view, but maybe I'll be proved wrong!

If you think the squad needs strengthening then the post was not aimed at you was it?

I don't recall using the word "disaster" either but add that in there if it makes your point more valid. Emotive words like "bordering on the hysterical"" you mean yea?

There are plenty on here who have posted that they are happy to start the season with what we have, these are the people who won't admit we are short. like the op maybe, who has quoted he is "not bothered one bit". Perhaps you should try reading his post and tie my reply in with the actual thread!

I accept keeping key players is massively important and whilst frustrated at the lack of new signings I'm not part of the 'now we'll really struggle' brigade as I'm sure faces will come in to help us be mid table at worst. However, I do feel like the club have messed up as all this has dampened the enthusiasm and momentum that last season created. We were riding the crest of a wave and this was the perfect opportunity to add some exciting signings and carry it in to the new season. I just hope it's just on this forum where that seems to have gone and not in the atmosphere within the club or at the ground come the first home game.

If you think the squad needs strengthening then the post was not aimed at you was it?

I don't recall using the word "disaster" either but add that in there if it makes your point more valid. Emotive words like "bordering on the hysterical"" you mean yea?

There are plenty on here who have posted that they are happy to start the season with what we have, these are the people who won't admit we are short. like the op maybe, who has quoted he is "not bothered one bit". Perhaps you should try reading his post and tie my reply in with the actual thread!

I'm happy to go in to the season as we are. Perfectly happy. If we need reinforcements we can bring in a loan: Tom Ince, Patrick Bamford, Darren Bent just off the top of my head all loaned to the Championship last year and each better than we could reasonably expect to buy.

I hate the thought of a 25 man squad personally. SC doesn't do rotation so we'll be paying players for the sake of it, presumably on 2-3 year contracts with bugger all resale value. To me 25 man squad, even more than a few quality players on the bench is just dead money and expensive insurance in my eyes.

So yeah I don't care one iota if we don't make another permanent signing. I'll care if the emergency loan window closes and we've brought in no-one.

And I'm not saying it because of any reason other than I genuinely think it, and you have my reasoning for thinking it. Feel free to disagree with the reasoning.

Perhaps the real difference is in expectations. Reading your initial post you talk of teams at the top not fearing us and not preparing as we have. As it goes I wouldn't be shocked at all if we had a great season (from tenth - promotion) but equally I will not be disappointed to finish 21st, whereas it sounds as though you might.

Archived