IGNORED

Disabled Parking Advice

CotswoldRed

When taking my disabled son to the footy in the past I've always been able to make life a bit easier by carrying him on my shoulders and we've parked like anyone else.

Now he's grown up a bit and is permanently in a wheelchair I find myself having to consider disabled parking options for the first time. While we have a blue badge and parking on yellow lines is an option, looking at google maps seems to indicate that there aren't very many yellow lines and many seem too dangerous/restrictive to use.

Rear access to our van is also a consideration.

What do other wheelchair users/carers find are the best options, all things considered.

The 3 hours limit of yellows is also a bit of an arse.

Think you will find club will have some disabled parking (there was - by the shop last season) - how they allocate I don't know but your needs would seem to be high priority - I have same problem if I try and get my elderly disabled father to AG and tend to drop him off , park and meet with him (due to an obvious lack of options) but your situation is different and much more of an issue and that's not an option for you

Good Luck - I'd speak with club in first place

Might be useful for others if you can share what they say

Are all the parking spaces at AG sold already then?  They usually have a waiting list as well, so if someone isn't using theirs for a match, you could use it.

You could try giving Kay a ring to see, or drop her an email.

Kay.mcginty@bcfc.co.uk

I usually do see plenty of badge holders parked on the double yellows outside AG.  Equally they are also usually parked up on North Street near the TF

Club website states (in respect of disabled supporters):

CAR PARKING FACILITIES

Due to the redevelopment at Ashton Gate, unfortunately the club has no additional parking bays outside of seasonal bays (which have already sold out).

The club provides two accessible parking bays for away disabled supporters.

Depends on how close you need/want tobbe to the ground. When I bring the chap I care for, we park about a mile away and I just push him to the ground. Usually on a side road. I appreciate its more difficult with needing space left behind you though. We've also parked by the SS Great Britain in the past, but that's a bit of a walk.

Depends on how close you need/want tobbe to the ground. When I bring the chap I care for, we park about a mile away and I just push him to the ground. Usually on a side road. I appreciate its more difficult with needing space left behind you though. We've also parked by the SS Great Britain in the past, but that's a bit of a walk.

That is an option - parking as per normal.  Nipper has a very capable 4x4 chair so I won't get tired pushing!

If i get blocked in its not the end of the world - I pull out into the middle of the road and everyone can wait :)

When taking my disabled son to the footy in the past I've always been able to make life a bit easier by carrying him on my shoulders and we've parked like anyone else.

Now he's grown up a bit and is permanently in a wheelchair I find myself having to consider disabled parking options for the first time. While we have a blue badge and parking on yellow lines is an option, looking at google maps seems to indicate that there aren't very many yellow lines and many seem too dangerous/restrictive to use.

Rear access to our van is also a consideration.

What do other wheelchair users/carers find are the best options, all things considered.

The 3 hours limit of yellows is also a bit of an arse.

Ring Supporter Services... I believe there are parking spaces at a nearby school, with wheelchair shuttle buses taking people to the stadium.

Ring Supporter Services... I believe there are parking spaces at a nearby school, with wheelchair shuttle buses taking people to the stadium.

Would that be the Downs School at Failand. We go there (for Charlton Farm hospice....not posh enough for kids to go there!!!) and there are signs saying "match day parking".

If you're that side if town could be an option

I take an old boy who's got a blue badge, if you get down there early enough, I can always park on Ashton Road, by the park.

But 3 hours is then an issue, is it not?  Or are there Wardens with a pragmatic view?  Surely not!

But 3 hours is then an issue, is it not?  Or are there Wardens with a pragmatic view?  Surely not!

As said above I would just ask this question of BCC. I can't imagine it would be unpopular with anyone and you never know, a quick email may mean they agree to take a relaxed attitude iro blue badge holders on matchdays, especially if you highlight the club cannot provide any onsite parking.

As said above I would just ask this question of BCC. I can't imagine it would be unpopular with anyone and you never know, a quick email may mean they agree to take a relaxed attitude iro blue badge holders on matchdays, especially if you highlight the club cannot provide any onsite parking.

Will do! (and report back)

Archived