IGNORED

Counter Attack & Set Up 2015/16

Kingswoodactor

Looking back at our Championship winning romp through League 1 last year, and I can't help but remember the amount of teams we ruthlessly dispatched on the counter attack. 3-0 to Swindon at home being one of the best examples.

As if we weren't blessed with enough pace last year, my word have we got some quick players in our squad! Teams will really come at us this year, due to a mixture of underestimating us, and also their general lack of knowledge about our team. This I feel, will play massively into our hands.

The basis of any good counter attacking team for me is having a solid back 3, or a back 5 when our wing backs tuck in. Middlesbrough last year did something similar where they built their success on having one of the best defences in the division, and then the pace & technique in attack to destroy teams on the counter.

I feel that we have that back 5 where we can soak up large amounts of pressure, before we then ultimately win back possession on the edge of our box; launching one of our quick massing moves between midfield and attack which more than often leads to an effort on goal.

Teams like Boro, Derby, Burnley, Hull, Wolves, Ipswich, etc etc are not going to come to Ashton Gate and sit back like Crawley Town. They will leave space, in which I have no doubt our players will look to exploit. 

Ayling, Williams, Smith, Bryan, Fredericks, Little, Freeman, Kodjia, Robinson, Burns. 

That's 10 in a squad of around 18 that can really shift.

It may take 3-4 games for our team to get back into 1st gear again (like we were against Walsall in May) but I for one cannot wait to see this team take apart many of the other bigger, cocky and arrogant clubs that will be competing with us in the Championship. 

I think we'll finish between 6th & 10th  :thumbsup:

COYR  :fingerscrossed:

I agree with what you say although have never considered Ayling to be particularly quick which is why I'm pleased he's not fulfilling a WB role this season as some had speculated he may earlier during preseason. You should however add Agard to your list because he is quick-ish despite his slightly unusual running style.

Archived