IGNORED

Ratings

old_eastender

Having watched the game via live stream and had time to let the disappointment of the game subside, my take would be:

Fielding 5 - Generally comfortable game, but poor misjudgment on the cross for their 2nd goal

Ayling, Flint, Williams - all 6, each made some mistakes but on balance solid displays

Bryan 6 - Saw a good deal of ball before going off, could have delivered a couple of crosses better

Smith 6 - Worked very hard, limited by lack of forward options in use of the ball 

Pack 5 - Saw a lot of the ball but long passes did not come off and his lack of pace was exposed a few times. Pack did well last season not least because he won a lot of headers from hopeful long balls but in the Championship against teams who play more on the floor, a worry that his lack of pace will make him a weak link.

Fredricks 5 - Sat back too much as RWB, looked more promising after switching to LWB but lost control of the ball a few times, including leading to his yellow card.

Freeman 6 - Worked very hard but bundled off possession a lot, sure will find his feet at this level.

Wilbs 5 - Didn't hold the ball up as well as usual, too many 30 yard headers back to the half-way line, weak finish on the one chance he had after good control to make it.

Kodjia 4 - Didn't get into the game at all, just that one run and strong strike just before HT.

Burns 7 - For me our man of the match, really positive display at RWB and got some good defensive tackles in too.

Robinson & Agard not involved enough to really rate.

Having watched the game via live stream and had time to let the disappointment of the game subside, my take would be:

Fielding 5 - Generally comfortable game, but poor misjudgment on the cross for their 2nd goal

Ayling, Flint, Williams - all 6, each made some mistakes but on balance solid displays

Bryan 6 - Saw a good deal of ball before going off, could have delivered a couple of crosses better

Smith 6 - Worked very hard, limited by lack of forward options in use of the ball

Pack 5 - Saw a lot of the ball but long passes did not come off and his lack of pace was exposed a few times. Pack did well last season not least because he won a lot of headers from hopeful long balls but in the Championship against teams who play more on the floor, a worry that his lack of pace will make him a weak link.

Fredricks 5 - Sat back too much as RWB, looked more promising after switching to LWB but lost control of the ball a few times, including leading to his yellow card.

Freeman 6 - Worked very hard but bundled off possession a lot, sure will find his feet at this level.

Wilbs 5 - Didn't hold the ball up as well as usual, too many 30 yard headers back to the half-way line, weak finish on the one chance he had after good control to make it.

Kodjia 4 - Didn't get into the game at all, just that one run and strong strike just before HT.

Burns 7 - For me our man of the match, really positive display at RWB and got some good defensive tackles in too.

I was there and couldn't agree with your ratings more, I think Kodjia will settle in to our team eventually but it will take time and like you said Burns was very promising, willing to run and beat his man every time

I was there and couldn't agree with your ratings more, I think Kodjia will settle in to our team eventually but it will take time and like you said Burns was very promising, willing to run and beat his man every time

Agree mostly except that Ayling deserves more. Looked very comfortable bringing the ball out and defensively sound. Korey Smith was excellent first half and had a shocker second.

Agree mostly except that Ayling deserves more. Looked very comfortable bringing the ball out and defensively sound. Korey Smith was excellent first half and had a shocker second.

I thought Ayling looked suspect defensively to be honest, though I think the was Wednesday came at us in the second half threw them all off kilter

As for the OP, can't really disagree with any of that, though I think you're being a bit harsh on Frankie for their second goal. He's not the biggest keeper in the world which isn't his fault and it was an excellent cross for McGugan to tap in

Smith 6 - Worked very hard, limited by lack of forward options in use of the ball

Wilbs 5 - Didn't hold the ball up as well as usual, too many 30 yard headers back to the half-way line, weak finish on the one chance he had after good control to make it.

Pretty much agree with that lot, though you might have been a little generous to Smith Fielding and Fredericks.

Overall a decent enough first half and really poor second half performance.

Early days but nothing so far from the 3 new signings and overall the squad is poorer today than this time last year.

Everybody is different but I thought Ayling was our best starter. Sure suspect defensively but he handled the ball beautifully when he had the chance. I really wouldn't mind bringing in a good CB and moving Ayling up to play in that midfield role. Probably a risk but I think he could do it seamlessly.

As far a defensively we looked stretched and probably to do with new wing backs. I saw Flint closer to the sides as I can ever remember at points trying to cover Williams and Ayling who were covering the WBs. Maybe need to give the WB more instructions about their jobs. It'll be all good.

I thought Ayling looked suspect defensively to be honest, though I think the was Wednesday came at us in the second half threw them all off kilter

As for the OP, can't really disagree with any of that, though I think you're being a bit harsh on Frankie for their second goal. He's not the biggest keeper in the world which isn't his fault and it was an excellent cross for McGugan to tap in

100% Keepers fault

Came for a cross and missed it Simple

Everybody is different but I thought Ayling was our best starter. Sure suspect defensively but he handled the ball beautifully when he had the chance. I really wouldn't mind bringing in a good CB and moving Ayling up to play in that midfield role. Probably a risk but I think he could do it seamlessly.

As far a defensively we looked stretched and probably to do with new wing backs. I saw Flint closer to the sides as I can ever remember at points trying to cover Williams and Ayling who were covering the WBs. Maybe need to give the WB more instructions about their jobs. It'll be all good.

Agree that Ayling should be used in midfield. Having him alongside smith would be much more solid than Pack. I do not think wing backs are going to work this season.

Agree that Ayling should be used in midfield. Having him alongside smith would be much more solid than Pack. I do not think wing backs are going to work this season.

No not the way we played it last game anyway. I'll give it more time as when our WBs are well versed it is a system that suits us. I think it can work well enough. I'd like to see Ayling moved in that role next to Smith regardless of formation but think two in front of the CBs is a must as we won't be scoring as much this season.

Really would be great to bring Maguire in and move Ayling up but doubt we get Maguire and doubt we would move Ayling up if we did but makes sense to me. Haha

Archived