IGNORED

Is There A Plan B Formation

healeyred

Watched the highlights of saturdays game come to the conclusion that  3-5-2 will not work in the championship we were to open at the back and the back 3 were left exposed  . Personally i would play 4-2-3-1

Fielding  

Little     Flint              Williams      Bryan 

Smith    Pack 

Agard               Freeman             Robinson 

Wilbraham   

I personally think this formation has the right balance between  attack and defence  and its a formation that works in championship 

We might be forced into 4-2-3-1 if Bryan is injured for a while and we don't sign a replacement before Saturday!

Fielding

Little                            Ayling                         Flint                              Williams

Smith                          Pack

Agard                 Robinson                        Freeman

Kodjia

...and having watched the highlights too! I didn't go yesterday so will bow down to others that did's view. To watch the highlights and then write off our game plan that saw us rack up 99 points last season and drop our big money striker after one game??? Come on man!

Don't get me wrong I'm skeptical it will work this year as successfully, yet you want to abandon it after just ONE game in the championship?

Many people jumping on the panic station already unnecessarily in my opinion. Embrace the ride.

We'll not get a ride as consistent as last year, no doubt. Expectations should be managed.

I'm pretty sure the op meant as an I game alternative, sometimes teams work you out and it's good to have a plan b you can slip into, even if it's just for 10 minutes, enough to make the opposition revert back and give you more control.

In answer, no (regarding formation)I don't think we have one YET but I'm sure we will have when we've finishing assembling our squad.

What we've relied on in the past is tempo change, absorbing momentum, counter attacking and aerial/set piece command so we are well coped in changing it up just not in formation.

I once spoke to a certain city player many years ago about how they were told to play, hie turned to me and said "you don't want to know", I pressed him and he said "lump it forward and play for the second ball, that's why we don't win very often". Times have improved thank god!

Yep, wing backs is hard to get right and don't think it will work at this level. It worked very well last season due to us being technically better than most of the other sides, and it was easier to work defensively due to the poorer quality we were defending against.

What yesterday's game showed me was the absolute importance of having 2 fully fit, dynamic wing backs in order for our way of playing to be successful.  If Joe is injured, we either have to get a replacement in by next Saturday or change formation. 

Given Mark Little's injury and that Burns is not really a wing back, a change could be coming sooner than we think.  If we get a championship standard centre half in then it becomes likely rather than possible.

Considering one WB is not fit yet and his replacement has only been with us for a few days, and on the other side of the pitch we lost a key player to injury fairly early in the game, I can't see how it can be said that the system won't work.

I watched the whole game streamed on Bein.

It did ok for Watford last season.

And Watford went up last season. The first game in prem went 4-5-1. Last season doesn't matter. This season does. Too soon to say it won't work. Our 2 regular WBs played a combined 30 minutes yesterday. The new guys aren't as adept at it yet. Give it time

It did ok for Watford last season.

It did but we are not Watford. I just think we should stick Williams alongside Flint in a back 4 with 2 sitting in front protecting them. Lets just keep it simple and try and stay in this league. We were outclassed yesterday, we were not outclassed by anyone last season so what happened last season is almost irrelevant to this one.

It did but we are not Watford. I just think we should stick Williams alongside Flint in a back 4 with 2 sitting in front protecting them. Lets just keep it simple and try and stay in this league. We were outclassed yesterday, we were not outclassed by anyone last season so what happened last season is almost irrelevant to this one.

Who would play left back?

I dont see why 3-5-2/ 5-3-2 won't work at this level it's just whether we have quality+ confidence to play this formation . Also as op suggests a plan b esp if key players to this formation are injured .

Boro lined up today 4-2-3-1. With this formation you could rotate burns/Robinson on the left so you make the most of there pace .wilbs up top with Freeman behind and then one of agard/kodja other side.

ayling could be an effective sweeper with Smith just in front of the front four . Not saying pack shouldn't play but as a plan b , as ayling could bring the ball out with his feet.

Archived