IGNORED

Bike Shed

RightUpInCider

I've cycled once or twice to the gate before and whilst it's great that the club have put in lots of bike rails I'm not sure how happy I'd feel about leaving my bike there on match day.

Previously, in the hireite, they were out of the way, covered and 'policed' by stewards. I was very happy that my bike wouldn't be stolen or tampered with there.

The new rails are uncovered (not the biggest deal) and right at the back of the South Stand exactly where most of the new turnstiles into the south stand are located. It is basically one of the busiest thoroughfares at the new stadium. I'm sure there will be CCTV on the bikes (if not supervised by stewards) but I wouldn't feel confident that my bike wouldn't be tampered with by passers by.

I've cycled once or twice to the gate before and whilst it's great that the club have put in lots of bike rails I'm not sure how happy I'd feel about leaving my bike there on match day.

Previously, in the hireite, they were out of the way, covered and 'policed' by stewards. I was very happy that my bike wouldn't be stolen or tampered with there.

The new rails are uncovered (not the biggest deal) and right at the back of the South Stand exactly where most of the new turnstiles into the south stand are located. It is basically one of the busiest thoroughfares at the new stadium. I'm sure there will be CCTV on the bikes (if not supervised by stewards) but I wouldn't feel confident that my bike wouldn't be tampered with by passers by.

I don't have stewards or CCTV focused on my car when I park it up on match days.

I really wouldn't worry about leaving your bike outside the ground on a matchday. There are plenty of stewards milling around in the car parks whilst the game is underway. The only downside of the bike rails as far as I can see, is that they are not covered so your bike may get wet.

We were always being tampered with in the bike sheds at school.  Didn't do us any 'arm!

I don't have stewards or CCTV focused on my car when I park it up on match days.

Obviously. I'm sure my bike would be fine but am just making the point that it's not quite as safe as previous arrangements. Going back to your point, bikes are less secure than cars and more fragile. My concern would be little chavs hanging round fiddling with it. Probably unlikely but it's possible and wasn't a possibility when my bike was in the hireite. I'd wager that the majority of people who would regularly cycle to matches probably use their bike a fair bit, possibly for commuting. Therefore I expect their bikes are probably a bit more than just a little run around thing and probably quite valuable.

As for your car. How would you feel about leaving it where the bike rails are every match day with thousands of fans brushing past on their way in and out of the ground? What about when it's a Bristol Derby and emotions are running high? Fair enough, I'm being a bit OTT but the point still stands. It's quite a compact area and will be very congested just before and after the match.

Obviously. I'm sure my bike would be fine but am just making the point that it's not quite as safe as previous arrangements. Going back to your point, bikes are less secure than cars and more fragile. My concern would be little chavs hanging round fiddling with it. Probably unlikely but it's possible and wasn't a possibility when my bike was in the hireite. I'd wager that the majority of people who would regularly cycle to matches probably use their bike a fair bit, possibly for commuting. Therefore I expect their bikes are probably a bit more than just a little run around thing and probably quite valuable.

As for your car. How would you feel about leaving it where the bike rails are every match day with thousands of fans brushing past on their way in and out of the ground? What about when it's a Bristol Derby and emotions are running high? Fair enough, I'm being a bit OTT but the point still stands. It's quite a compact area and will be very congested just before and after the match.

I understand all of your points. Ignore me, I just get fed up of cyclists wanting free parking in prime spots, their own lanes on the roads that they don't contribute and the way they weave recklessly in and out of traffic and then insist that the motorists are more careful and considerate towards them!

Archived