IGNORED

Overview Of Today.

Bs4Red

Many would think a 4-2 defeat means you have played badly or the other team were far superior. Today this was not the case, we were not outclassed and we certainly didn't play badly.

The red card changed the game, my personal opinion was that it was a red and I think Freemans reaction showed that he'd made a mistake.

Going forward we looked like we could have scored 8,9,10 however in defence we looked poor, Derrick Williams put in one of the worst defensive performances I've seen from him in a city shirt.

I thought Marlon Pack had an excellent game, commanded the midfield and won everything.

Kodjia looks a prospect and took his goal well however he needs time to adapt and get up to speed.

Personally thought Wilbs had an extremely poor game and should have scored 3 or 4.

Over the doom and gloom of a second defeat there are positives, we competed with a very strong Brentford team and with 11 men all game I'm sure we'd have our first points of the year.

Give it time and maybe one or two really good signings and we will be more than fine this season.

Agree with everything. Freeman thing was poor but unlucky as he does that kind of high foot quick thing quite often. Bothered me that the player was up very soon after the card was produced. Williams was poor. Let Gray get in front of him for the OG. Then Hofmann tossed him aside for the fourth goal. Also he makes that annoying lofted cross field pass about 75% of the time and it rarely comes off I think.

Just unfortunate the red card. We had the momentum and looked like we could've(probably should've anyway) put 4 past them. Kodjia also looks a player.

Bench is still a worry. We lost any threat of scoring after Kodjia came on. Also Wes Burns looks taller and a bit beefier than last time I saw him.

Also, was it me or did Joe Bryan look a little less energetic at times? He was a terror going forward in the first half but there were a few times where he didn't sprint after a loose ball here and there. Maybe he couldn't win them and I had a bad angle. Good performance from most today though!

Sorry to disagree but this team as it stands is not good enough for the league they are in.

We have had 3 games one home, one away and one away against lower league opposition. None were against "great" teams.

In every case, irrespective of today's sending off, the same faults were apparent. Defensive weakness at the back and wasted chances up front. The defensive weakness is the result of poor organisation, and the wasted chances are most probably due to lack of confidence, poor pre-season preparation and the injury to Agard. One cannot rely on running wing backs and the sheer power of Aden Flint to score goals at this level. Everybody knows about his 15 goals last year.

There must not be any more complacency. The answer lies in 2 or 3 new quality players and more work on the training ground.

Many would think a 4-2 defeat means you have played badly or the other team were far superior. Today this was not the case, we were not outclassed and we certainly didn't play badly.

The red card changed the game, my personal opinion was that it was a red and I think Freemans reaction showed that he'd made a mistake.

Going forward we looked like we could have scored 8,9,10 however in defence we looked poor, Derrick Williams put in one of the worst defensive performances I've seen from him in a city shirt.

I thought Marlon Pack had an excellent game, commanded the midfield and won everything.

Kodjia looks a prospect and took his goal well however he needs time to adapt and get up to speed.

Personally thought Wilbs had an extremely poor game and should have scored 3 or 4.

Over the doom and gloom of a second defeat there are positives, we competed with a very strong Brentford team and with 11 men all game I'm sure we'd have our first points of the year.

Give it time and maybe one or two really good signings and we will be more than fine this season.

I think the red card has exposed how vitally we need cover nay competition for Freeman in the CAM role. WIthout JET we don't have that and we need to adress it immediately. We became, for lack of a better term, toothless without Freeman's energy and tenacity in midfield and our deeper lying pair Smith and Pack were far too exposed without him. Heaven forbid Freeman ever be on the end of a ligament-type injury.

I don't think Pack controlled the midfield per-say, but I do think his range of passing was good today even if his decision making at times was off. He also seemed outwardly phased by the yellow card, even before Freeman's red.

I was really pleased with Kodjia and I hope he enjoyed his stint in his first outing proper at AG. He has a lot of potential about him, and a lovely touch. Already I'm seeing more of a natural footballer in him than I've ever seen in Agard.

Wilbraham was poor, I agree with you there. Very wasteful and also did not use his experience at all well today, some very naive decision making at times.

But on the whole I agree in that there are positives to take from the performance and we can be really pleased that the team are playing attractive football still in an entertaining style. The pressing issue now is that our squad simply is too small, there isn't enough competition for places and we MUST sort this out. No if's buts or maybes, we have to get the players in.

Let's not write this team off quite yet. A majority of them haven't played at this level before so will take time to find their feet.

Thought Williams done ok today and certainly no worse than Flint whose distribution was shocking. Williams was pulled all over the place by Grey and done well to keep up with him. He also done well to clear one off the line.

Their first equaliser summed it all up. Walked through the midfield without a challenge to note.

Attacking wise we looked very good and should have had another 3/4 by the time the sending off happened.

Certainly weren't disgraced but the way Brentford knocked it around they were always going to get the better of us.

I really do not think Wilbs was poor at all. I was a little worried about him being so old in football terms, playing at a higher level. But today, against a quality Brentford side, I thought he looked the part. I would say only Smith and Bryan were better for us today. 

It was a very poor display defensively, and it does not really matter what we do going forward if we are that wide open. 

Oh and Pack really did not have an excellent game, in my opinion. He is the one player, more so than Williams, that really is not cut out for this league. I like him cuz he gives his all but just not good enough. I still think Williams may be good enough, but in a back 4.

I really do not think Wilbs was poor at all. I was a little worried about him being so old in football terms, playing at a higher level. But today, against a quality Brentford side, I thought he looked the part. I would say only Smith and Bryan were better for us today.

It was a very poor display defensively, and it does not really matter what we do going forward if we are that wide open.

Oh and Pack really did not have an excellent game, in my opinion. He is the one player, more so than Williams, that really is not cut out for this league. I like him cuz he gives his all but just not good enough. I still think Williams may be good enough, but in a back 4.

All about opinions. I thought pack won a lot on the ground and everything in the air today. Got us playing and his range of passing was great once again.

Wilbs hold up play was poor today and he should have scored 3 or 4. Personally don't think he's cut out for it. But as I say everyone has differing views and opinions

I was really pleased with how we ripped them open in that first half and had we taken our chances the sending off may not have had the impact it did. It felt to me though that we continued to press to win and it was such a shame we didn't get to half time still in the lead. It's easy in hindsight but I would have preferred it if Wilbs had come off and Robinson brought on to leave Kodjia up front. This potentially would have been a more natural fit. What the first two league games have highlighted though is the small squad size, but also the inexperience of whomever we can bring on. First game bad injury caused a reshuffle and second game sending off completely changed the game. They can only get experience by playing though so unfortunately it is going to take some games to wise up. The overall disappointment with the start I think is the secret wish and dream in all of us that we would just continue where we left off without issue. I think we will be absolutely fine over the season.

Sorry to disagree but this team as it stands is not good enough for the league they are in.

We have had 3 games one home, one away and one away against lower league opposition. None were against "great" teams.

In every case, irrespective of today's sending off, the same faults were apparent. Defensive weakness at the back and wasted chances up front. The defensive weakness is the result of poor organisation, and the wasted chances are most probably due to lack of confidence, poor pre-season preparation and the injury to Agard. One cannot rely on running wing backs and the sheer power of Aden Flint to score goals at this level. Everybody knows about his 15 goals last year.

There must not be any more complacency. The answer lies in 2 or 3 new quality players and more work on the training ground.

Faults will happen, particularly during August. But for us and our competitors. The first three games are a barometer for nowt in my opinion.

On the other hand Kodjia is a one in two striker as is wilbraham in the League, Aylings on for 23 assists and every other game we'd score a corner.

Every mistake today looked to be a lack of match sharpness, not quality. Think we can and will hold our own.

I believe it was an accidental collision of two players going for the ball from different directions. Not in my opinion a red card.

By the time that happened, we should have been 4-1 in front. Our strikers must be more clinical like Brentford who had four shots on target and scored from three, as I assume the own goal does not count as a shot on target by Brentford.

And Wilbs was very lucky that none of the officials spotted his misdemeanour.

We need three players who have good solid Championship experience. I think Jimmy Kodjia will be a great buy for us when he stays calm with chances and does not try too hard.

Too many people who just make a defeat worse and are just debbie downers. 

- First game back in the Championship at the Gate.

- Celebrating the new stand of our stadium refurbishment.

- A team that were clearly on top before the red card. 

Enjoy the positives and what we have and look forward to getting 3 points at the Gate on Wednesday! Heck we might even sign someone by then so we can stop worrying about no Freeman.

COYR!

My overview of today:-

Freeman red cost us the points. Although we should have been 4-1 up MINIMUM by then.

Williams didn't look Championship standard. Both he and Ayling allowed their wingers to get 1 on 1 with Flint far too many times. Not the way a back three should work.

Hamer needs a few more sessions on the training ground with the back three. If fit, I would play Frank at the moment.

Kodjia has got great movement and will score goals imo. The second chance he put over the bar wasn't easy - the first one should have been buried.

We need strengthening down the spine of the team.

Wasn't impressed with Cotterill tactically today. We didn't change enough at half time to make ourselves more solid.

I saw enough today in the first half hour to suggest we'll be alright once the reinforcements arrive. Up to Steve Cotterill to earn his large salary and get them in now.

Ayling allowed their wingers to get 1 on 1 with Flint far too many times. Not the way a back three should work.

Ayling was exposed at times by Fredericks. But he also should ensure that if he pushes forward, someone covers him or he gets back very quickly. I saw him fail to do this once today, which was dissapointing. But he was instrumental in some of our attacking play, so for me he had a good game - overall.

Ayling was exposed at times by Fredericks. But he also should ensure that if he pushes forward, someone covers him or he gets back very quickly. I saw him fail to do this once today, which was dissapointing. But he was instrumental in some of our attacking play, so for me he had a good game - overall.

I think this is where we need to learn quickly. Ayling could make those runs last season and if we gave the ball away more often than not we would get away with it. In this league teams are a lot more clinical when counter attacking. Overall Ayling was decent, great play for the first goal, but Williams had a shocker.

As long as we get three or four players in by the time the loan window shuts we will be ok imo.

I think this is where we need to learn quickly. Ayling could make those runs last season and if we gave the ball away more often than not we would get away with it. In this league teams are a lot more clinical when counter attacking. Overall Ayling was decent, great play for the first goal, but Williams had a shocker.

As long as we get three or four players in by the time the loan window shuts we will be ok imo.

Agree with all of this.

Have to admit I was completely wrong about Kodjia. Had written him off after watching him for 3 games. Today he was outstanding, frightening pace,  a threat all day long and took his goal really well. Did'nt deserve to be taken off but probably done so just as a precaution for Wednesday as the game was over. Agree that defensively we looked very naive and that is a position we will need to strengthen quickly. Obvious also that Joe Bryan is very important for us. He was almost unplayable in the first 35 minutes. He did tire in the 2nd half but that is understandable and we must look after him. Before the sending off we were by far the better side and almost all of the Brentford fans are saying the same on their forum. Gray was a threat all game up front for them and with Gayle turning us down we should go all out to get him. With him and a couple more quality additions we will have a big say in this division this year. I'm very excited about the future for City and can't wait for Wednesday night. Oh, and the South stand is easily as good as any stand I have visited for many a year. Well done City. COYR's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Have to admit I was completely wrong about Kodjia. Had written him off after watching him for 3 games. Today he was outstanding, frightening pace, a threat all day long and took his goal really well. Did'nt deserve to be taken off but probably done so just as a precaution for Wednesday as the game was over. Agree that defensively we looked very naive and that is a position we will need to strengthen quickly. Obvious also that Joe Bryan is very important for us. He was almost unplayable in the first 35 minutes. He did tire in the 2nd half but that is understandable and we must look after him. Before the sending off we were by far the better side and almost all of the Brentford fans are saying the same on their forum. Gray was a threat all game up front for them and with Gayle turning us down we should go all out to get him. With him and a couple more quality additions we will have a big say in this division this year. I'm very excited about the future for City and can't wait for Wednesday night. Oh, and the South stand is easily as good as any stand I have visited for many a year. Well done City. COYR's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written him off after a couple of games! Wow! I agree, looked raw but very dangerous. When he settles in he'll score the chances he missed.

On a side note, I notice they are STILL playing that Elbow track. I know some love it but I don't like it at all, not a track to get anyone pumped. Will be ridiculous against Leeds!

Thought the caller to RB ( not usual suspects) who said it looked as if pre season hadn't really 'worked' and said you can't use the first three games of season as 'practice games'

A tad harsh maybe but could see his point

Yeah I'd agree with him possibly. But it's an unfortunate consequence of the stadium development and in future I think we'll be better prepared.

I also think some players are playing within themselves. Fredericks today was not providing that much. He did his duties, but he didn't occupy them or cause concerns. He clearly has pace but you wouldn't have known it today. Appreciate he might be playing on the back foot whilst he settles.

A tough fixture list, late transfer business unstabling the defence, and seemingly a lack of sharpness means it'd be a while yet till I'm particularly concerned if things don't start improving.

Thought the caller to RB ( not usual suspects) who said it looked as if pre season hadn't really 'worked' and said you can't use the first three games of season as 'practice games'

A tad harsh maybe but could see his point

I agree, using league games as if it were pre-season is not professional in any way at this level.

But, we will find our feet. We need match-sharpness. At the moment we have about 4/5 players who are lacking it.

Ayling & Williams were poor today, both bullied out of the game. Ayling was more his old self going forward. Freeman was poor, the card summed his day up. Wilabraham was another poor one today. Why Kodjia was repalced by the lightweight Agard I do not know. What attacking force we had died with Agard partnering Wilbs..

Kodjia will be a force once he settles, Fredericks looked ok too. Keeper will not wanna see the second goal

We need strengthening soon. This team will continue to get ripped apart...even if we do have a striking threat, defensively we looked very average today. Its not like any of the three teams we've played are top sides and all have put at least 2 goals past us....

In SC we trust

Ayling & Williams were poor today, both bullied out of the game. Ayling was more his old self going forward. Freeman was poor, the card summed his day up. Wilabraham was another poor one today. Why Kodjia was repalced by the lightweight Agard I do not know. What attacking force we had died with Agard partnering Wilbs..

Kodjia will be a force once he settles, Fredericks looked ok too. Keeper will not wanna see the second goal

We need strengthening soon. This team will continue to get ripped apart...even if we do have a striking threat, defensively we looked very average today. Its not like any of the three teams we've played are top sides and all have put at least 2 goals past us....

In SC we trust

Kodjia was a real handfull i thought, he does the unexpected at times to win himself a yard or two, i like him, we still posed a threat when we switched to one up top and i was royally pissed off when he was replaced with agard, he struggled in league one and i dont think he is the answer in the champoinship, i would be delighted to be proved wrong.

To be fair to Agard bucksred he was inches away from making it 4-3 shortly after they scored when he went in for a header at the near post.

I imagine he came off with one eye on Leeds and one eye on giving Agard minutes.

In SC we trust

The defence only looked pourous because they were exposed far too often. The problem lies further up the field, with the absence of someone in the middle of the park who can grab the game by the balls and stifle the opposition - someone in the Marvin Elliott mould, or possibly to a lesser extent, Kalifa Cisse.

Ayling and Williams are good footballers, they will be fine but they do need competition for their places to drive them to perform.

Archived