IGNORED

Never Mind Gayle - Centre Midfield Needed Urgently

old_eastender

Absolutely agree. We need to change formation, but we also need another midfieilder as Pack, for all his effort, is just not good enough at this level. Good in the air, great at corners, that is about it, very limited. Korey Smith is top quality, there was never any doubt he would be good enough. I'd move Ayling into midfield for now and change our formation to a 4-3-3. Smith and Ayling infront of a back 4 would be much more solid than the system we currently play. Ayling is so good on the ball. I want to see him further up the pitch, not only for his defensive abilities in supporting our back 4, but also his class on the ball. He is wasted at centre back, and does not look comfortable there, just like the other 2 don't. 

You made really good points, until saying that.. We conceded one of the fewest amount of goals in the football league last year, largely down to the defence. Ayling played in 46 games as a RCB, how on earth can you say he doesn't like comfortable there??

It's a fair point Joe but you can't really pick a midfield player because he's not bad in the air

Have to say ( IMO !!!) I don't believe Pack will be 'A good player at this level'

His career to date gives no suggestion of that and lack of pace is lack of pace

As you go up levels you need to be razor sharp in there ( or incredibly cute ) ( not in looks terms ! ;) )

That's fine but he provides us different options from anyone else on our squad and mentioned in the original post. I'm not saying we should stick with him no matter what. By all means find someone you think is better or could be better.

I thought he was much better today than last Saturday. It's 2 games in a new division and don't think we can write him off so easily.

He does lack some serious pace however and it has caused a few problems for sure.

You made really good points, until saying that.. We conceded one of the fewest amount of goals in the football league last year, largely down to the defence. Ayling played in 46 games as a RCB, how on earth can you say he doesn't like comfortable there??

May be just the phrase Iron - I can see what Jon is trying to say - Ayling (IMO) is a very good footballer more than being a very good defender - not the best defender I've ever seen and let's be fair we were so dominant at times last season the pressure and test of the three centre halves is nowhere near what we should expect this year

He is a very good footballer, excellent with the ball at his feet and therefore may be better suited moving forward at this level (Did he not play for Yeovil for at least part of season in m/f in Champ ?)

I'm genuinely concerned that our position at the bottom of the table may, blur the potential of our club to a new would be signing, in the summer we were arguably a more attractive prospect, champions of league one by a canter and with momentum to attack this league from the start.

That position could feel a million miles away from a potential signings point of view, has the moment passed?

I hope not but in football you never know.

PS where was Boby Reid today, could he do any worse?

Just asking....

Because he is having to cover for Fredericks at right back as well as support Flint in the middle. He did it well last season against poorer opposition, of course, he was one of our best players. But so far him and Williams have been dragged all over the place. I think it is the system that is the problem and I would rather see Williams play alongside Flint in a back 4 and cuz we have no options in midfield to partner Smith, i'd put Ayling there as I think he could be a rock in there as well as being classy with the ball at his feet. 

I know its early but conceding this many is alarming, and I think it is down to the system. I'm not doubting Ayling's ability.

Because he is having to cover for Fredericks at right back as well as support Flint in the middle. He did it well last season against poorer opposition, of course, he was one of our best players. But so far him and Williams have been dragged all over the place. I think it is the system that is the problem and I would rather see Williams play alongside Flint in a back 4 and cuz we have no options in midfield to partner Smith, i'd put Ayling there as I think he could be a rock in there as well as being classy with the ball at his feet. 

I know its early but conceding this many is alarming, and I think it is down to the system. I'm not doubting Ayling's ability.

Well reasoned

I did say last year that most of our defensive vulnerability (as limited as it was) came thro the Little / Ayling Inside right channel ( They also gave us a great attacking threat mind !)

( Easy example were the two goals against Walsall final day )

I'd need to see it to be convinced. Not that I'm anti-Robinson as he's undoubtedly a good footballer. I just think his current build doesn't lend itself that well to the CAM role.

Still, he's bulkier than Bobby Reid!.. Although, that isn't too difficult.

Fair enough and I don't know either but wouldn't be rushing out to get cover if Robinson can do it, especially when other areas do need more competition - defensive cm, cd and a 20 goal cf.

Skuse?

No thanks. It'd be too comfortable/convenient all around. I don't think he is of the age to improve and I don't think he's good enough to play a key role in a side as ambitious as us (Gayle efforts) either.

Think he should and will see out a respectable career with Ipswich.

Fair enough and I don't know either but wouldn't be rushing out to get cover if Robinson can do it, especially when other areas do need more competition - defensive cm, cd and a 20 goal cf.

Arguably, Kodjia could grow into a high scoring striker - so for me that isn't an area of concern. A defensive CM in the Marvin Elliott mould would be a good addition, I agree. A versatile defender, something of a utility man like Brian Wilson could help us out also, especially in an instance of injuries to our wing backs.

Arguably, Kodjia could grow into a high scoring striker - so for me that isn't an area of concern. A defensive CM in the Marvin Elliott mould would be a good addition, I agree. A versatile defender, something of a utility man like Brian Wilson could help us out also, especially in an instance of injuries to our wing backs.

Agree on all of that. I also think Agard and Robinson both came on and had more impact than we could have asked for and both had chances and created.

Shame we didn't get Gayle, but that was a marquee signing rather than necessary on today's viewing.

Archived