IGNORED

Letting Those Most At Risk Down

RobArnold10

Not often I take a pop at the club, however I've been really upset by the club today.

So my dad has cardiomyopathy which basically means that his heart is not working properly. What this means is that he cannot walk far without basically losing blood to his lungs and then collapsing in a heap. So he has a disabled badge and fair play when the club heard this they gave us parking in the ground.

Due to development we now have to park at Long Ashton school, and there are many others in the same boat. The club said they were putting on a shuttle bus, again no problem!

We arrived at dead on two, and were told that we just missed the last bus, next one won't be long which was fine. I left and went onto the ground because being able bodied knowing that there may be only a finite amount of spaces on the shuttle. My parents took to their seats at kick off. There would have been others in the south stand perhaps late to their seats.

Then, after the game, despite being told there would be a pick up where they were dropped off, the only info we had after the game was that the bus was picking up out the south stand, he simply cannot walk that far! So mother and I go and get the car and haul through traffic to pick him back up outside the ground.

This simply is not good enough, the club is failing those in need. We found out that there is one bus serving both the school and the Avonline site! So many disabled people and the elderly are being let down by the club. I know it's the first game and that they aim to put a shuttle on each site Wednesday for Leeds, but I am sceptical!

Anybody else have issues similar? Trying to get as much info before I put a a complaint in.

Unfortunate but it's only the first game, lots of new staff and things get forgotten about unfortunately.

I'd recommend dropping Dave L a note, perhaps stadium management (Dave would tell you exactly who). Maybe together you can find a way to improve the system.

Sounds like a teething issue to me, the quicker you make the club aware of the issue the quicker they can help.

The thing is you have two sites that need to run shuttles from, and two drop off points. To me, knowing how busy those roads get you need four busses, but we were told that the most they could possibly get is two. I appreciate its early doors but there are people in worse conditions than my old man, some who can't stand for too long, some who will suffer when the winter roles in. It worries me a lot to be honest.

The only supporters parking in the ground are those in wheelchairs and that is fair enough, but there are still a lot of people at risk right now who have been let down.

Not often I take a pop at the club, however I've been really upset by the club today.

So my dad has cardiomyopathy which basically means that his heart is not working properly. What this means is that he cannot walk far without basically losing blood to his lungs and then collapsing in a heap. So he has a disabled badge and fair play when the club heard this they gave us parking in the ground.

Due to development we now have to park at Long Ashton school, and there are many others in the same boat. The club said they were putting on a shuttle bus, again no problem!

We arrived at dead on two, and were told that we just missed the last bus, next one won't be long which was fine. I left and went onto the ground because being able bodied knowing that there may be only a finite amount of spaces on the shuttle. My parents took to their seats at kick off. There would have been others in the south stand perhaps late to their seats.

Then, after the game, despite being told there would be a pick up where they were dropped off, the only info we had after the game was that the bus was picking up out the south stand, he simply cannot walk that far! So mother and I go and get the car and haul through traffic to pick him back up outside the ground.

This simply is not good enough, the club is failing those in need. We found out that there is one bus serving both the school and the Avonline site! So many disabled people and the elderly are being let down by the club. I know it's the first game and that they aim to put a shuttle on each site Wednesday for Leeds, but I am sceptical!

Anybody else have issues similar? Trying to get as much info before I put a a complaint in.

why has everything got to be the clubs fault?? Take some responsibility yourself. Whilst its sad to hear of your dads health issue, understand that there I a massive building project ongoing and maybe you should have had a plan be. Not unreasonable for you to collect your dad after game. As other supporters who are disabled managed to get shuttle bus shouldn't have to wait for you. U need a plan be. But very easy to blame club

why has everything got to be the clubs fault?? Take some responsibility yourself. Whilst its sad to hear of your dads health issue, understand that there I a massive building project ongoing and maybe you should have had a plan be. Not unreasonable for you to collect your dad after game. As other supporters who are disabled managed to get shuttle bus shouldn't have to wait for you. U need a plan be. But very easy to blame club

You missed the point, there was a large number of people waiting from 2pm, it took 45mins to come along next. Is it acceptable that potentially in December some elderly people could be left in the cold that long?

You missed the point, there was a large number of people waiting from 2pm, it took 45mins to come along next. Is it acceptable that potentially in December some elderly people could be left in the cold that long?

use blue badge and park closer. This really is a non topic

use blue badge and park closer. This really is a non topic

Guess it is a ' non topic ' if you are not disabled or responsible / helping someone who is

I genuinely hope your health doesn't deteriorate as you get older or have the responsibility for another - the most simple things suddenly become very complicated

All in all sorry Spoons but IMO as cringeworthy and totally insensitive comment / doesn't reflect too well on you

Rob - could your Dad be pushed in a wheelchair? You can get those portable ones that fold up and put in your car. You could get a bike chain and then secure it somewhere at the ground so that it was close by for right after the game.

We actually joked about getting a buggy for him and doing it that way. It's a bit tricky because at only 62 and previously very active to not being able to walk more than a quarter of a mile his pride comes a little into it. Personally we are considering a lot of options but like I said he was waiting with frankly some fragile fans who are even at more risk than him for 45mins, that's my main concern!

We actually joked about getting a buggy for him and doing it that way. It's a bit tricky because at only 62 and previously very active to not being able to walk more than a quarter of a mile his pride comes a little into it. Personally we are considering a lot of options but like I said he was waiting with frankly some fragile fans who are even at more risk than him for 45mins, that's my main concern!

Definitely best way forward is to speak to Dave L. If the club don't know they can't help, maybe even get a contact number for him.

Hope you sort something out, but issues were always inevitable.

Totally understand it wasn't good enough today. Hopefully the club just misjudged how long a round trip takes or how popular a service it would ultimately be; regrettable but understandable error if the case.

I'm sure (hope) they'd welcome your feedback.

Guess it is a ' non topic ' if you are not disabled or responsible / helping someone who is

I genuinely hope your health doesn't deteriorate as you get older or have the responsibility for another - the most simple things suddenly become very complicated

All in all sorry Spoons but IMO as cringeworthy and totally insensitive comment / doesn't reflect too well on you

just fed up of a blame society, its not always someone's fault?

i know what you mean, but from the other angle. When my boy started using a wheelchair I found it very difficult, and I wasn't the one using it. He took to it fine!

As a few of us have posted.....Dave Lloyd is your man.....or his namesake Nick is is the Disabled Liaison.

just fed up of a blame society, its not always someone's fault?

Agree to some extent with the general theme, I think people have very high expectations and little empathy with circumstance or inexperience nowadays.

But then there are some services so vital that poor service can only be excused to a much lesser extent. Think this is one of those scenarios mate.

If this was a service for able bodied folks then I'd probably react the same and say what's the big problem if it was teething problems. As it was for the vulnerable, nah planning should have been better to avoid that bad a service.

• Admin

i know what you mean, but from the other angle. When my boy started using a wheelchair I found it very difficult, and I wasn't the one using it. He took to it fine!

As a few of us have posted.....Dave Lloyd is your man.....or his namesake Nick is is the Disabled Liaison.

I think Nick is Dave's son and will be the one to contact I'm sure.

Rob, me and my elderly disabled dad were also were there at 2pm with you and encountered the same problem. We got dropped off at South Stand and hence did miss the start (and the goal!).

After the game the bus was full and we had to wait til 5.55pm for it to return, nowhere to sit down, and there were numerous elderly disabled people all with walking sticks or crutches. I wished I had done the same as you and gone to get the car but didn't think it would be that long to wait and was very worried about leaving dad - good job you didn't make the effort to walk round!

I appreciate there are teething difficulties and probably because the parking situation was all rushed and left to the very last minute. I've already composed an email to Nick Lloyd with feedback and I think if we all give similar feedback then they have to do something about it - once resolved it could be a good service. It is a real issue for elderly disabled supporters who simply cannot walk and love the club with many many years of loyal support. Thank you to those understanding of this situation, we are only relying on a service we have been promised.

Archived