IGNORED

Should We Be Looking To Spend Big Money On Players Now?

B-Rizzle

I don't think Gayle was a sign of the budget, just Lansdown pledging to invest it for him. A one off exceptional.

I expect Kodjia will be our most expensive signing this season unless we're able to pull of a remarkable coup.

We should never be looking to spend big money on players.  We should be looking to bring in players who are better than what we have or are young and will improve beyond what we have.  Then we should worry about the price insofar as getting the best value we can.  

You have to have a mix.  Some young lower league players who'll improve, a couple of overseas players who are established and good value, one or two older experienced heads on fees, and one or two first rate players proven at the level.

Our recruitment has been very poor so far in terms of building a big enough squad this summer but it's been good in terms of the quality of the four first team players we've brought in.  I think we got our strategy wrong in two ways.  Over-reaching - Gayle was over-reaching and wasting time and effort on that has set us back on getting more realistic players.  The Spike - believing prices will drop without any reason for that.

What would be entirely wrong now is to panic and sign five or six permanent players on long deals.  We need a couple of quality midfielders, a couple of centre halves, and a striker.  If we can't find those at reasonable prices now we must try for loans (season long if possible) and wait until January.  We can't saddle the club with the wrong player for three years when wages are 5 figures every week.

Archived