IGNORED

Club Strategy/outlook

Tony Montana

What are your thoughts on the current way the club seems to be going about business in regards to high transfer fees/offers?

I personally thought that we would be better suited as a club trying to replicate the methodology behind the success at Swansea/Reading/Blackpool in attempting to reach the Premiership.

However, if we are beginning to spend big money on players (starting with Gray). It looks like we will be similar to Leicester (with Sven) and Derby.

I would much prefer the Swansea/Blackpool route, even if it means a couple of low mid-table finishes for the first couple of years. That being said, if we are going to spend big, i'd like us to have a proper go and go all out to get a top quality centre-back and midfielder for substantial fees.

I personally cringe when I think of us shedding out 6m+ on one player. Possibly because it's not the norm for us as a club!

What are your thoughts on the current way the club seems to be going about business in regards to high transfer fees/offers?

I personally thought that we would be better suited as a club trying to replicate the methodology behind the success at Swansea/Reading/Blackpool in attempting to reach the Premiership.

However, if we are beginning to spend big money on players (starting with Gray). It looks like we will be similar to Leicester (with Sven) and Derby.

I would much prefer the Swansea/Blackpool route, even if it means a couple of low mid-table finishes for the first couple of years. That being said, if we are going to spend big, i'd like us to have a proper go and go all out to get a top quality centre-back and midfielder for substantial fees.

I personally cringe when I think of us shedding out 6m+ on one player. Possibly because it's not the norm for us as a club!

The Swansea/Reading/Blackpool methodology as you put it is going to be a thing of the past. The amount of money in the new Premier league deal will mean. what with the massive parachute payments, that it will be even more difficult to compete. This is why a lot of championship chairmen / owners are "going for it" this season. 

There's no guarantee that kind of route would keep us in this league. Lansdown has the money, so why not spend it? If we get there then all that money will come back in TV money.

Totally get what you mean mate.

I know a few Man City fans who actually feel a bit awkward about how they've progressed.

Those guys were relatively ok with being in a proper stadium (Maine Road), having a great, loyal fan base, hating United, mocking how they 'bought' the league and loving visiting new grounds in the third tier of English football.

Suddenly they've been propelled to the top of the Prem and into the Champions League, they are winning FA Cups and League Cups and even though they are obviously loving their dual dominance with Chelsea, they guys I know are just not too comfortable with how they've got there.

I totally get it, they are probably, like me, the last football generation that can remember the greatest era we'll ever know, the 70s and 80s when football was just 'proper' - it just was.

I could wax lyrical for hours about why that era was the best but I won't - I just totally understand why fans from that era who are still around now can feel uncomfortable, uneasy and even slightly embarrassed about how their club's have zoomed to the top on the crest of a financial wave in shiny new stadia with smiley foreign owners who have never had a pint in a dodgy Moss Side boozer.

And do you know what? There's a whole generation who miss a midweek away game at a godforsaken outpost, to stand on a dark terrace, not even thinking about sitting down or complaining about someone who brought a flag.

They loved being amongst the guys n gals who were used to their team being not very good. They sang their hearts out, they happily drank warm, flat, over-priced lager because the next day they could tell people at school and at work that they were there, at Wrexham away, at Port Vale away, at Sheffield Utd away, at Plymouth away, at Huddesrfield away, at Lincoln away, etc, etc, etc.

Expecting abuse from young, post 1992 fans but our era was best, it just was.

And some Man City fans agree, if you can believe that....

If Mr Lansdown is going to pursue a overt spending strategy Supporters groups may want to ask for assurances on admission prices and season tickets. There is the possibility that many who use this forum and inhabit Ashton Gate now could be priced out.

Archived