IGNORED

Wtf Happended To The Wedlock End?

Sleepy1968

I know the attempted rebranding of the The East End to The Wedlock End never really took off among supporters, but it seems a shame that the new stand just gets to be known the extremely uninspiring corporate/rugby safe moniker of The South Stand.

Has the Wedlock association been silently dropped?

Do we fear the rebrand of The Atyeo Stand to The North Stand?

I know the attempted rebranding of the The East End to The Wedlock End never really took off among supporters, but it seems a shame that the new stand just gets to be known the extremely uninspiring corporate/rugby safe moniker of The South Stand.

Has the Wedlock association been silently dropped?

Do we fear the rebrand of The Atyeo Stand to The North Stand?

Who cares really what the stands called? Seriously

The terms "East End" and "Wedlock" are relatively new. Official and unofficial names come and go.

The term East End has been used for about fifty odd years to my knowledge, hardly a new term, probably longer than the majority of the average fans age.

I really don't get it.  

how is "The East End" any more/less inspiring than "the South Stand"?

It's just an historical term for that end of the ground where the more vocal support would congregate. As such, it holds a lot of memories for many people. I don't think anyone holds the name out as inspirational, it's just a point of reference. Change the name and people no longer know it for what it was, probably another way to diffuse/water down the type of vociferous supporters the club currently have and would like to change, for, a middle income, well behaved, non demanding controllable, compliant supporter base.

It's just an historical term for that end of the ground where the more vocal support would congregate. As such, it holds a lot of memories for many people. I don't think anyone holds the name out as inspirational, it's just a point of reference. Change the name and people no longer know it for what it was, probably another way to diffuse/water down the type of vociferous supporters the club currently have and would like to change, for, a middle income, well behaved, non demanding controllable, compliant supporter base.

emotional fairyboys. 

Doubt many people screamed murder and cried about it being renamed "the east end" after whatever it had been known as before that. 

It got knocked down.... Its not always convention to call a new building exactly the same as the old.

As far as i know the Sports bar and grill was going to be called the Wedlocks but that appears to have just a generic name for now at least on the outside.

From the construction forum South Stand has caught on pretty quickly so i'd guess that the majority really weren't bothered by its old names, they might have a harder time with the Williams as most people call it the 'New Williams' rather than its current 'working name' of the West Stand.

Especially as they had a faulty compass at the time.

I believe the east end name actually referred to the east corner of the stand orignally but the whole stand became known as the east end over time.

emotional fairyboys.

Doubt many people screamed murder and cried about it being renamed "the east end" after whatever it had been known as before that.

But it wasn't renamed by some faceless corporation on a whim; it acquired that name from the people who stood on it.

Like the Liverpool soldiers back from the Boer War who found their steep terrace reminded them of the steep rocky slopes of Kop Hill. I can't see that name being changed.

The term East End has been used for about fifty odd years to my knowledge, hardly a new term, probably longer than the majority of the average fans age.

I did say "relatively", which 50 years is, in the history of the club. Also, in the early days of that end of the ground being called the East End, it was only a relatively a small number of people who called it the East End - i e those who stood in the Dolman corner.

Today, how many people care what that end of the ground is called? Probably a lot on the forum but, IMO, not that many of the other supporters. Anyway, it was never officially called the East End, so fans can carry on calling it this if they wish.

I really don't get it.  

how is "The East End" any more/less inspiring than "the South Stand"?

It's a good Q.

As we can see from the new 'south' name, the East End was never really in the east. But it was called that as people used to congregate at the east end of that terrace behind the goal (ie where we were allowed to stand in its last years). So, it was quite a special name: it was geographically incorrect and referred to an area where people of like minds were drawn together, witnessing many historic feats over the years. Despite it having the rather humdrum term 'east' in it, it was still idiosyncratically heartfelt.

Much in the same way the Open End or the Park End have special connotations for people going back to yesteryear, similarly the Schoolboys' Enclosure or simply the Enclosure (personal bias notwithstanding) have emotional attachments for some (not for all, as some couldn't give a fig what a stand is called).

And we haven't even mentioned Crackers' Corner yet.

A name might be ten-a-penny (there's more than one Kop, and neither North nor South Bank sound all that good to start with till you delve deeper) but if it triggers an emotion, a memory, a tug on the heart-string, it becomes more than its constituent letters. And that's what some of us go to football for.

Archived