IGNORED

Diagonal Balls

Randy Marsh

Pack wasn't awful by any means tonight. Leeds play very compact with the aim of constantly closing and fighting leaving very little space....almost the opposite to Brentford.

The fact was cos Leeds were so compact they we're hard to break down, so spreading to the wings was the outlet...saying that it also shows a lack of patience.

Leeds did a typical away job on us, just couldn't hold on.

....but we were able to open up Leeds by playing more controlled passes and with good movement, than having to resort to cross field Hoddle passes.

Their left back knew RF was hugging the touch line so could position himself to intercept. In some ways I felt sorry for RF because he then had to leg it back as they caught us on break.

I think both RF and ML's starting positions when we've got the ball are too high. It worked last season, but we are playing against better players this season. JB isn't so gung-ho on the left side.

DL was off with his passing tonight too. Those little chipped balls down the Channel got a bit obvious after a while.

It was a lot more than 5 or 6. The lad cannot jump like Bryan can, everyone bar the City players (and presumably management) in the ground could see that, so why we persisted in long balls to the Leeds player baffles me. I feel sorry for Fredericks as Pack etc made him look poor.

Yeah, I was being kind. 

Really? Hardly anyone other than me mentioned Fredericks mistake which started the attack, most people laid the blame at Hamer's feet.

Regardless, every single game people are talking about what Pack did wrong. He's clearly under instruction to keep making those pass attempts - and his conversion rate is normally pretty reasonable given the distances.

If Cotts didn't want him to keep doing it he'd be telling him, surely?

City fans always need a scapegoat, and it's normally the midfield player who does simple things pretty well and doesn't do anything too flash - Johnson, Skuse, Pack.

All berated for pretty much the same things.

The first goal was a complete mess.

A short corner that turned nightmarish because we firstly lost the ball so easily.

Then we had a defensive shield where our back three had turned into just one.

And then a referee and lines person who assumed that Hamer took the player out when he did not.

Solutions.

1. Keep three back at our attacking corners on the halfway line.

2. If our tall attackers are in the box, do the conventional thing and aim the corner kick for the penalty spot.

I consider that neither Brentford or Leeds were very good teams. Neither will be on the top six at season's end.

Yet we gifted them enough goals to sink us. Only a tremendous fight back saved us.

PS. Why did SC not start with Bobbie Reid replacing the suspended Freeman? And while Fredericks is an exciting attacker, his dedication and skill at defending is more like a school playground game than the Championship.

Anyone brave enough to join me in uneasy concerns about Sc's tactical acumen / flexibility ?

On this point alone - why could the whole ground see what was happening until it became as laughable as it was extremely annoying when there was no obvious change from Quarterback Flash or from Sc ????

The irony was when we played into the frontmen to feet we looked far more dangerous

Don't think we have the quality to play 3-5-2 at this level right now - said it before and seen nothing to change my mind

Two Joe Bryan's and at least one if not two quality midfielders would help mind

The diagonal is a great option, but after the first two or three were intercepted by their left back we should have stopped trying. I like how we stretch play though and think Kodjia was frustrated that we didn't play him in when he made runs.

I also think Bryan's crossing was a bit below par today. He swung loads in but none on the money. Top player mind.

Why is there a sudden belief that Aden Flint is incapable of passing a ball - Marlon Pack nearly held his hand , taking the ball from him and at one point in the first half actually all but tackled Flint before floating a ball onto their left backs head for the *** time

Pack for me is a complete (ineffective) luxury - sits in breathing distance from Flint (no doubt partly orders and fortunate as when he ventures forward he's incapable of recovering ground - Leeds second classic example) , wins the odd header which is handy , but in the main try's to look like a poor David Beckham trying to spray 40 yd passes

Not blaming Flint at all - Why oh why can Flint not be allowed to give the ball to LA / DW and out to Wing backs (all at sharp two touch) on the floor to let them have a run at their oppos or option of playing inside - the quick switch diagonal USED AS A OPTION / SURPRISE can be very effective (Tinnion / Murray how many times !!!!) but when the opposition know exactly what's coming every time it was, quite simply , a joke

Looks like we've taken ideas from the Chicago Bears with JB and RF renamed 'wide receivers' and Pack fancying himself a 'gun arm' quarterback - really quite bizarre

Joe Bryan with ball at his feet causes virtually every right back problems

He's also got a. Great spring on him but that's not a reason to bombard his head all game !!!!!

Jeeeeeeez

....but we were able to open up Leeds by playing more controlled passes and with good movement, than having to resort to cross field Hoddle passes.

Their left back knew RF was hugging the touch line so could position himself to intercept. In some ways I felt sorry for RF because he then had to leg it back as they caught us on break.

I think both RF and ML's starting positions when we've got the ball are too high. It worked last season, but we are playing against better players this season. JB isn't so gung-ho on the left side.

DL was off with his passing tonight too. Those little chipped balls down the Channel got a bit obvious after a while.

Help me out here. By ML, do you mean Mark Little? Has he had a starting position yet this season?

Who is DL?

Don't say that, don't you know he's a liability who can't tackle?

His tackling is fine, good aerial presence too. His passing is sometimes frustrating but hopefully he can wise up about that (or get given new orders if thats the case) it's the lack of pace which is a liability. Maybe he can learn to be smarter with his positioning but at the moment its a very dangerous weak link, particularly with this slightly naive and cavalier attitude we have. 

Him and Williams lofted forward balls have been dreadful but surely they're only doing what they've been told. I'd be very surprised if SC hadn't pulled them up on this if he felt like they shouldn't be doing them which only suggests he's telling them to do it?

Him and Williams lofted forward balls have been dreadful but surely they're only doing what they've been told. I'd be very surprised if SC hadn't pulled them up on this if he felt like they shouldn't be doing them which only suggests he's telling them to do it?

This. He's clearly under instruction to keep doing it.

Either that or the see things that Cotts doesn't. Do people really think if Cotts wanted him to stop it he wouldn't be screaming at him to do so?

The diagonal is a great option, but after the first two or three were intercepted by their left back we should have stopped trying. I like how we stretch play though and think Kodjia was frustrated that we didn't play him in when he made runs.

I also think Bryan's crossing was a bit below par today. He swung loads in but none on the money. Top player mind.

I would have liked to see Fredricks use some common sense and drop a bit further back so that they couldn't intercept every single time. Spreading the play is important and creates space - don't give up doing what we have been do just apply some thought both on the giving and receiving ends.

Perhaps Pack is more effective when playing alongside a Wade Elliott type player?.. Maybe he has consciously, or not, taken on that role as well as what he is usually good at and the end result is he has been ineffective in both?

In short, it may not be all his fault when he has a poor game.

Archived