IGNORED

Williams Vs Adomah

Unan

I'd prefer you didn't insinuate that one player carries the burden of our current defensive frailties. Admittedly he needs to up his game, but from what I've seen the lack of tracking back by the midfield is as much a problem.

I'm not insinuating anything, I commented on a player v player? I've not once mentioned any other player, boros attack force as a whole, his generally ability as a defender or any pervious result/performances by him.

I'm not insinuating anything, I commented on a player v player? I've not once mentioned any other player, boros attack force as a whole, his generally ability as a defender or any pervious result/performances by him.

Yes, but you have titled this thread Williams vs Adomah and then gone on to say 'can see us getting turnt over tomorrow'.  Even if not suggesting it's all about that match up it's quite clear you think it's pretty important.  

Personally I think Boro have plenty of other attacking problems for us too.  Having said that I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a win. 

I'm sure it will be, I'm strangely optimistic about tomorrow. It would be so typical city for us to get a result there - like when we beat Southampton away a few years back.

Like when we beat them in the fog up there a few years back!

Yes, but you have titled this thread Williams vs Adomah and then gone on to say 'can see us getting turnt over tomorrow'. Even if not suggesting it's all about that match up it's quite clear you think it's pretty important.

Personally I think Boro have plenty of other attacking problems for us too. Having said that I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a win.

I was talking about us being caught on the counter attack, as Williams generally pushes further forward and leaves a great gap in behind him for a winger to run into.

Admittedly, I couldn't have made it any less clear from my original post. (I wasn't criticising his general defending.)

Like when we beat them in the fog up there a few years back!

Yeah we've had a few freak results against strong favourites.

I agree with SC to an extent that we've played well so far. The only time I didn't think we particularly played well was Sheffield Weds where we started well but were second best from about 25' onwards.

Is it just me that's terrified about this? Can see us getting turnt over tomorrow, god know what formation, tactics etc SC will go for.

why are we starting threads like this?? What happened to the days of supporting players rather than rip them to shreds. Derek Williams was quality last season, like all players this season he is taking a bit of time to adjust. But how about we believe in him and trust him to come good like last season??? People to quick to jump on peoples back.

I'm sure it will be, I'm strangely optimistic about tomorrow. It would be so typical city for us to get a result there - like when we beat Southampton away a few years back.

We had a great record at the Riverside last time in the Championship - 2 wins and 2 draws.

As for Williams, he gets caught out of position with worrying frequency however JB has really got to help him out more.

Think we'll miss Freeman from a defensive perspective too. He covers some ground that lad, always tracks back.

why are we starting threads like this?? What happened to the days of supporting players rather than rip them to shreds. Derek Williams was quality last season, like all players this season he is taking a bit of time to adjust. But how about we believe in him and trust him to come good like last season??? People to quick to jump on peoples back.

I don't doubt him in the slightest, I'll believe in him and haven't said that I don't.

However, currently, he isn't performing particularly well. I think it's more than fair to worry about his upcoming performance against one of the best, if not the best, wingers in this league.

I don't doubt him in the slightest, I'll believe in him and haven't said that I don't.

However, currently, he isn't performing particularly well. I think it's more than fair to worry about his upcoming performance against one of the best, if not the best, wingers in this league.

completely disagree, how you pick Williams out of everyone?? Know one has started amazing so to pick out an individual is bit silly and not very supportive especially after his performances last season. Or did u listen to it on the radio??

completely disagree, how you pick Williams out of everyone?? Know one has started amazing so to pick out an individual is bit silly and not very supportive especially after his performances last season. Or did u listen to it on the radio??

I've picked out an individual as he's left us open at the bag multiple times already, and is up against Adomah.

Sadly I agree.... my opinion is that if everyone was forced to pick one player from the back three to replace the overwhelming majority would pick Williams over Flint or Ayling.  It's not that he's a bad player, far from it, but he is certainly the weakest defender we have, and relies a lot on Joe Bryan to cover him.  This was especially evident in the game against Wednesday.  When we lost Joe, Williams was all over the place.  I also think he was the only player in the team last year to regress from the season before.  Bizarre as it may sound (and maybe it's simply because the rest of the defence were so poor) but I felt he had a better season when we were struggling than he did when we were awesome last year.

His positional sense is sometimes found wanting and his distribution is often woeful.  On the passing, there's not a huge amount he can do about that - and you don't need defenders to be able to produce a defence splitting pass - and the rest of the team need to help him by giving him a simpler option when he has the ball. 

But Williams and Pack are the only two that I'm not 100% convinced can make the step up to the Championship.  Pack mainly because he always wants that extra bit of time on the ball to pick out the "Hollywood" pass and you don't really have that luxury in this league as teams regroup a lot quicker to nullify that tactic.

That said, they both absolutely deserve the chance to prove themselves and I hope I'm proved wrong as their attitude and effort are exemplary and they've served us well so far.

I realise that some of the above may seem very negative - it's not supposed to be.  It's not that I'm saying I feel they're bad players, it just that I'm not convinced they have that bit "extra" to step up from league one.  Time will tell though.

Archived