IGNORED

Is The League That Strong?

Londoner

Very strong and really tough.

Skill levels light years ahead of League 1 & 2. Make mistakes you're punished, miss your chances likewise. Very impressed with the standard of football and level of entertainment to date.

I'm sorry but the championship isn't "very strong".

We saw Leeds and Brentford both of which were very average IMO, add in the likes of beating Middlesbrough the supposive BEST team in the league....Derby yet to win etc.

This league is very competitive, and the reason is because there are a lot of teams of a similar standard....the fact we have gone up and looked good IMO shows that it isn't very tough....teams go up from the Champ into prem and struggle...yet teams go up from league 1 and don't struggle in the champ....

Because the prem is Very strong, where as the Championship isn't IMO

I don't think the Champ is necessarily amazing quality, it's more that most of the teams are of a similar quality, you don't get too many terrible teams and there are a lot of big clubs, if you are anywhere near mid table at Xmas you could as easily go up as you could go down, everyone beats everyone, much more interesting

Londoner, TLC - isn't the mark of a good, strong league one where the sides are equally balanced and that, within reason, from 1st to 24th most could transform their fortunes with slight changes in form or luck even?

There may be misplaced passes, there may not be a plethora of showboating, and there will be hand-in-head moments of madness, but I think there's far more 'entertainment' in this league than you'll find in many others across the world even because you just cannot call it from one fixture to the next.

Londoner, TLC - isn't the mark of a good, strong league one where the sides are equally balanced and that, within reason, from 1st to 24th most could transform their fortunes with slight changes in form or luck even?

There may be misplaced passes, there may not be a plethora of showboating, and there will be hand-in-head moments of madness, but I think there's far more 'entertainment' in this league than you'll find in many others across the world even because you just cannot call it from one fixture to the next.

No the mark of a strong league is quality.

the entertainment that you highlight is good example as to why the championship isn't that strong....if it was, we as coming up would struggle...but on the basis of so far 1)we won't 2)some big names who are clearly weaker (Bolton Blackburn).

For the first few weeks I've been surprised that the quality hasn't been higher...great for city though

I think I disagree then. For me for a league to be properly devised it should place teams against each other who will be competitive against each other. Otherwise what's the point in promotion/relegation? You might as well draw a north south divide and play regionally from the Prem down.

I think the championship has a unique quality in that it does fulfil the aim - it puts equal standard teams against each other and as a necessary result rewards consistency. Thats what makes a strong or high quality league in my eyes. Not one where say Chelsea can win the title by playing in second gear for half the season.

The Prem, for example, undoubtedly houses substantially better talent and of course I'm not saying otherwise. However as a competition I think it's pretty poor. It's practically three separate divisions within one to my eyes.

I think I disagree then. For me for a league to be properly devised it should place teams against each other who will be competitive against each other. Otherwise what's the point in promotion/relegation? You might as well draw a north south divide and play regionally from the Prem down.

I think the championship has a unique quality in that it does fulfil the aim - it puts equal standard teams against each other and as a necessary result rewards consistency. Thats what makes a strong or high quality league in my eyes. Not one where say Chelsea can win the title by playing in second gear for half the season.

The Prem, for example, undoubtedly houses substantially better talent and of course I'm not saying otherwise. However as a competition I think it's pretty poor. It's practically three separate divisions within one to my eyes.

As interesting as your point is, when explaining your re affirming that the league isn't that strong.

Archived