IGNORED

Football Cliches

Southport Red

Just wondering which of the nonsense quotes regularly spouted by the experts covering Euro 2004 irritate you the most. :@

For me, I think the award goes to "He certainly knows where the goal is"

Yeah???, Really??? Those white sticky things surrounding the net at either end of the pitch give it away rather don't they? :grr:

Just wondering which of the nonsense quotes regularly spouted by the experts covering Euro 2004 irritate you the most. :@

For me, I think the award goes to "He certainly knows where the goal is"

Yeah???, Really??? Those white sticky things surrounding the net at either end of the pitch give it away rather don't they? :grr:

I dunno why but "At the end of the day" always gets on my nerves.

Guest XrAnGeX

Not really a cliche but a rule in football:

"Never write off the Germans, and never count on the Dutch"

:D

Edit: Doesn't make me mad, just well.... er..... I'll be okay :grr:

Several commentators throw away lines annoy me. Ku Klux Atkinson's "early doors"... whatever that means for one.

"He won a free kick" Yeah? When I was a kid, you conceded free kicks

"He knows where the goal is". Thank God for that!

"He crossed it in with a little bit of quality". Quality? Oh yeah, it's over there...in a bag!

"He crossed it in with a little bit of quality".
That's another thing, how many corners have you seen that don't beat the first defender??

These guys are paid £100K/week and can't kick a staionary ball over one defender!!

That's the same as me not being able to answer the phone in my job!!

Guest mnporter2001

Check this out

some fool in the pub at the start of the england french match said to me

" if the french dont score and we do we will win "

well i had a couple of drinks as had he but jesus that was crazy

i have to wonder if he was a gas head

however he was right

It irritates me when commentators say something like - 'and Terry will pass it back to James' AFTER the ball has actually been passed from Terry to James.

Whats the point of telling us something we can all see perfectly clearly ? And why do they use the wrong tense ?

I'll own up to one of my own though...

'a draw is as good as a defeat' - I thought it made perfect sense, but for some reason it made everyone else roll around with laughter at my stupidity...

Guest Red_ Mango

At this moment in time I have to consider my options but, at the end of the day we know what the goal is and it'll still be all there to play for.... :grr:

At the end of the day.

Guest Mr White

One of the best football qoutes i've ever heard has to be Howard Wilkinson:

"I'm a firm beleiver that if we score more goals than the other team then we will win"

Talk about stating the obvious, and this comes from a former England manager and we wonder why we have a Swede as our coach.

CTID

When a commentator shouts "It's red!" when its quite obvious hes been sent off.

When a commentator/pundit says "The defender's got him in his pocket"

Alan Hansen and Peter Schmeichel should be sent home as should Bobby Robson. I have respect for only two pundits and thats Gordon Strachan and Gabby Logan.

Here is a quote from Kenny Dalglish

"You cant replace a Michael Owen with a Michael Owen. Because what you need is a Michael Owen."

Whats the point of telling us something we can all see perfectly clearly ? And why do they use the wrong tense ?

That tense thing is an interesting point. Footballers ALL talk in a tense of their own, "He's passed it down the left wing, he's crossed it to the middle, he's headed it and it's gone in" :grr:

If asked where a colleague was at work, would you say "he's gone down the photoscopier, he's put the paper in and he's made copies"??

And what about that old favourite, "defeat is not a failure!" that made me cry real tears for days. Good ol' Danny.

And every time Beckham has a free kick anywhere near the penalty area the commentator always brings up the Greece goal.

what about the england france game:

itv commentator: "as long as we dont concede from this free kick we should be ok" zidane gives james no chance

and then bobby robson (i think it was) says "we musn't concede another goal now" just as gerrard has a moment of madness, james comes rushing out, henry taps it past 'see you', james takes his legs-penalty-goal-game over :grr:

Guest M_A_A_B

Pretty much anything Bobby Robson sayswhen he's commentating....

one game in particular (cant remember which) he was going on about the passing and he spent about three or four minutes saying... "now he passed it to him, so who's he going to pass it to? now who is he going to pass it to?..."

it makes me cringe...

Archived